9 Harmful Foods That Cause Acne On The Skin
Acne is not just a problem experienced during adolescence for many people. Factors such as stress, bad eating habits, hormonal irregularities, improper self-care and inflammation cause acne on the skin of adults.
According to researches; There is a direct relationship between our diet and acne on our skin. So what are the foods that cause acne? Which foods should be avoided to prevent acne breakouts on the skin? The answers to all these questions and much more are in the continuation of our article. If you’re ready, here we go!
9 Harmful Foods That Cause Acne On The Skin
1) Processed Carbs/Grains and Sugar
- Honestly, the list of acne-causing foods is a bit overwhelming! However, for those who ask what are the foods that should be avoided, we can say the foods that cause the blood sugar to rise suddenly.
- Because the sudden increase in insulin levels increases the production of sebum, causing skin cells to grow faster. This increases the formation of acne on the skin.
- Studies show that people who include more processed grains and sugar-containing foods in their diet are more prone to acne formation.
- If you have acne problem; you should stay away from sweeteners such as bread, all kinds of foods made with white flour, rice, sugar, candies, acidic and sugary drinks, honey, corn syrup, maple syrup and agave.
2) Fast Foods
- The most acne-inducing foods are fast food types.
- Studies have shown that consuming fast food frequently increases the occurrence of acne on the skin by 24%.
- Fast food foods disrupt the hormonal balance and cause acne formation.
- Hamburgers, hot dogs, fried chicken, french fries, soda and fizzy drinks are the foods that cause acne the most.
3) Milk and Dairy Products
- Dairy products increase insulin levels and cause acne and acne formation. These are the results of studies on adolescents in particular.
- Again, studies have shown that amino acids in cow’s milk cause the liver to produce more IGF-1, and this triggers the formation of acne.
- Growth hormones and antibiotics given to cows also cause hormonal imbalance, leading to acne formation.
- If you have acne problem; You can follow the change in your skin by taking a break from dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese.
- Consuming dairy products with organic certification will be a much better choice for your health.
4) Animal Foods
- Today, high amounts of growth hormones and antibiotics are given to animals to increase meat production.
- When we consume meat products, we also take hormones from animals into our bodies. This situation causes hormonal disorders in people.
- Hormonal disorders are one of the factors that pave the way for acne formation.
- Instead of abandoning animal foods, you can choose organic ones.
5) Foods Rich in Omega 6
- Foods such as soybean oil and corn contain high levels of omega 6.
- Fish varieties and nuts are rich in both omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
- Omega 3 fatty acids fight inflammation in the body, while omega 6 fatty acids increase inflammation. Increased inflammation leads to acne formation.
- Nuts can increase acne formation due to the omega 6 fatty acids they contain.
- Nuts, which are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and omega 3, are very important for our health. For this reason, it is generally not recommended to completely exclude it from the diet plan.
- Instead, you can limit the consumption of nuts that are rich in omega 6 fatty acids, such as walnuts, almonds, pine nuts.
- Although the link between chocolate consumption and acne formation has been researched for years, a clear conclusion has not been reached yet.
- Studies have shown that consuming chocolate increases acne-causing bacteria.
8) Spicy and Hot Foods
- Spicy and spicy foods increase blood flow and circulation in the skin. Although this does not directly cause acne, it causes acne redness to appear more prominent.
- Foods that cause acne is a question frequently asked to İbrahim Saracoğlu. Saraçoğlu states that hot spices and tomatoes cause acne formation and recommends avoiding these foods.
- Saraçoğlu says that people with acne problems should also limit their consumption of orange juice, grapefruit, garlic and fresh grapes.
9) Sugary Drinks
- Sugary drinks lower the immune system. In a weakened immune system, the skin becomes more prone to acne.
- Acidic drinks cause fatty liver. Fatty liver is one of the factors that paves the way for acne formation.
- Due to the aspartame it contains, it is necessary to avoid diet drinks in this process. Aspartame, a chemical sweetener, promotes acne formation.
- In addition, sugary drinks cause less water consumption. Drinking enough water every day is essential for healthy skin.