5 rules that will help you save on vegetables and fruits
We cannot completely abandon these products. Otherwise, along with vegetables and fruits, many useful elements will leave the diet. But in our power to optimize spending. How to do this, we will tell in the article. You’ll learn when to shop, which vegetables to pick first, and whether to avoid discounted items. We have put together 5 simple tips to help you keep a balanced menu without harming your wallet.
Rule number 1. Buy by weight
It makes no sense to overpay for packaging. In the case of vegetables, washed fruits should also be avoided. Although they look attractive, they are more expensive. In addition, most will still have to be peeled.
In search of fresh fruits and vegetables, you can go to the market. Often their cost will be lower than the price tag in the supermarket. However, the time of day plays a big role in sales in the market. In the morning, especially on weekends, groceries are a bit more expensive. But if you look there in the evening, you can find nice discounts on goods. The market does not have huge warehouses for storage, so sellers buy small quantities of goods and willingly sell the rest at the end of the day.
Rule number 2. Focus on the place of production and seasonality
When buying imported goods, we pay not only for the product, but also for its delivery. Local vegetables and fruits will cost much less. Usually the manufacturer is indicated on labels or price tags, we advise you to pay attention to this.
In addition, foreign fruits do not always have time to ripen by the time of harvest. Sometimes they are deliberately picked unripe so that the products do not spoil during the journey to Russia. For the most part, this affects not the price, but the taste. Brought treats are faceless and uninteresting. It’s a shame to overpay for such a product.
Also, do not forget about the seasonality of products. And if the seasonal product is also domestic, then the cost will please him more. In March, we recommend including cabbage (white, cauliflower, red and Brussels sprouts), beets, carrots, garlic, radishes, celery, onions and radishes in the diet. Do not forget about greens, spinach, parsley and mint are in trend now.
Alas, the situation is more complicated with fruits. The harsh climate is not suitable for many representatives. However, during the season, even imported treats can please with prices. Pay attention to apples, citruses, avocados, pineapples, kiwis, bananas and grapefruit. By the way, fruits can be bought instead of sweets, it also turns out a small savings.
Rule number 3. Don’t be afraid of discounted products
We all know how to choose vegetables and fruits. The fruits should be firm, fragrant and undamaged. Those that do not meet the requirements are sent to the shelf with discounted goods. But this does not mean that such products are devoid of culinary potential. Broken or slightly wilted vegetables and fruits can be used in cooking. Yes, they should not be added to a salad, but stews , casseroles or pie fillings from them will turn out no worse than from ideal products.
The main thing in dealing with discounted goods is operational use. It is advisable to immediately find a use for them on the day of purchase. Then a delicious dish and a nice bonus in your wallet are guaranteed.
Rule number 4. Remember the Basics of Storage
Unfortunately, we throw away part of the money along with spoiled products. To prevent this from happening, you need to be more careful in purchasing and comply with storage standards. Vegetables and fruits are treats with a short shelf life. It is advisable to buy them as much as you can eat in a couple of days, no more.
We wrote in detail about food storage in this article . Here you will find a lot of useful information not only about fruits and vegetables. In addition, here are a few more tricks to help keep treats fresh:
- Wash fruits and vegetables before eating. To store them, just wipe them with a dry cloth. Water will destroy the protective coating of the fruit, and they will begin to deteriorate faster.
- Berries, fruits and vegetables do not like moisture. It encourages mold growth. Also, fruits do not store well in plastic packaging. After the purchase, it is advisable to transfer them to a glass container, and line the bottom with paper napkins. The latter can still be put between the fruits themselves.
- Chopped vegetables keep better in water. True, the liquid should not be very much. For such storage, an ordinary glass jar with a lid or a container for food is suitable. Put slices (for example, carrot sticks or chopped celery stalks), cover with water and store for several days.
- You can put two small apples to the potatoes so that the tubers stay fresh longer.
It is equally important to observe the commodity neighborhood. Vegetables and fruits are capricious comrades, not everyone gets along peacefully with each other. What definitely should not be stored together:
- onions and potatoes;
- apples and oranges;
- carrots and onions;
- beets and sweet peppers;
- pumpkin, apples and pears;
- cucumbers and fruits;
- cucumbers and tomatoes.
Rule number 5. Make blanks
What can be done with fruits and vegetables to extend their shelf life? Freeze, canned or dry. So you not only reduce waste, but also save money. For example, you need half a carrot or beet so that the second part does not languish in the refrigerator, feel free to rub it and freeze it. And you will already have a preparation for borscht.
Feel free to freeze bell peppers, zucchini, leeks, green beans, green peas, eggplant, cauliflower and broccoli. Tomato puree is easy to make and can also be stored in the freezer in ice cube trays .
Do not forget that cabbage can be fermented , and cucumbers can be pickled or pickled in Chinese style . And fruits such as bananas, apples and oranges are stored for a long time in a dried form. You can also make an interesting preparation from vegetables, and it can be used in many cases.
- carrots – 300 g
- zucchini – 400 g
- onion – 50 g
- Bulgarian pepper – 200 g
- celery – 200 g
- garlic – 3-4 cloves
- greens – 50 g
- salt – 4 tbsp. l.
- turmeric – 1 tsp
- vegetable oil – 3 tbsp. l.
- Cut carrots and zucchini into cubes. Onion, pepper and celery – in small pieces.
- Chop greens and mince garlic.
- Stew vegetable slices in vegetable oil until soft.
- Add herbs, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Turn the finished mixture into a puree using a blender.
- Return the vegetable mass to the pan, reduce slightly and let cool.
- Divide the cooled puree into ice molds or place in one mold lined with cling film.
- Put in the refrigerator until completely solidified.
- The blank can be used as a bouillon cube (1 piece per 1.5–2 liters of water) or as an addition to sauces and gravies.
Here are 5 simple rules that will help you not overpay for fruits and vegetables. We hope that the article was useful and we will be glad if you share the material with your loved ones.