What is Yeast? Taste Guaranteed Tips
What is Yeast? Yeast is among the indispensables of pastry recipes and cuisine. So, what is yeast that makes delicious flavors soft and fluffy? Yeast is actually a biological microorganism. Many things that we consume on a daily basis, especially bread, contain yeast. Yeast is found in most grain foods, sauces, and beverages. Dairy products such as yogurt and kefir naturally contain yeast.
Let’s take a look at the most commonly used yeast types and for our recipes, “What is the meaning of yeast and what are the tricks of using yeast correctly?” Let’s look at the answers to your questions.
What is Instant Yeast?
- Instant yeast is yeast that can be added directly to flour without the need to melt it beforehand. Nowadays, it is important to be fast in the kitchen as everything is speeding up. In this respect, we can also call instant yeast a type of yeast that keeps up with the times.
- In terms of practicality, instant yeast is highly preferred. Thanks to its direct use, it is possible to move on to the later stages of the recipes without the need to wait. While other yeast varieties have a mixing step with water or sugar, this type of yeast does not need such an additional process.
- It is sufficient to add 1 packet of instant yeast to 5.5 cups of flour.
- If you are using this type of yeast, the thing you need to be careful about is not to add hot or cold water directly to your yeast dough. This can cause the yeast to break down.
- With instant yeast, you can prepare pizza, bread, pastry, pita, cake, pastry, bun, quiche, flatbread, kete, etc. You can make pastries quickly and get fluffy results.
What is Sirden Yeast?
We can say that a part of offal called shirden or şerdan among the people is actually a part of the stomach of animals. It is a local dish of Adana, and at the same time, the street vendors specializing in Şırdan or even Şırdan are popular.
So, what does must have to do with yeast?
- The special yeast obtained from lambs, buffalo, kids and calves that have not switched to grass eating and continue to suck milk and used in cheese making is called şirden yeast. Isn’t it interesting that a yeast strain is derived from animal viscera? One of the cycles of nature that surprises us is the production of şirden yeast.
- Dried shirden yeast is obtained only after undergoing many special processes lasting 7-8 days on average. This arduous work is actually a very valuable traditional transmission that has been handed down from generation to generation over the years.
- It should be kept in tightly closed, opaque containers and in a cool place. The more suitable the storage conditions, the higher the yield will be. When it comes to sırdan yeast, the more bread, the more meatballs! Of course, you will also get the reward of all your hard work.
- Sirden yeast contains plenty of probiotics and protects the intestinal flora.
- You can make your digestive system a feast by making cheese from şirden yeast at home.
What is Sourdough?
- You may have thought of sourdough bread first. Sourdough gives the unique taste of this bread type, which adds color to breakfasts with its sour taste. In fact, sourdough is also used in traditional bread making, which we call village bread. In other words, we can say that sourdough is a type of yeast that comes from our essence.
- In bread, pastries, bagels… You can use sourdough in many things that use dough, apart from sweet ones.
- Since sourdough is sour on its name, it also gives a slight sourness to the recipes it is used in. Therefore, it is not preferred to be used in desserts.
- Is it possible to have both delicious and healthy pastries? It’s made with sourdough. If you can add options such as rye, einkorn, and bark wheat flour with low gluten content to your recipes, you will be much more comfortable in consumption.
What is Wet Yeast?
- Fresh yeast, which is sold in small cubes, is a kind of spoiled yeast, it should be used in a short time, it can be affected and spoiled quickly by small temperature changes. The refrigerator life of these little ones is 1-2 weeks at the most.
- You can add fresh yeast to the flour directly or by dissolving it with water.
- For finger food recipes, do not forget to sift your flour, warm the milk you add, knead the dough until it is smooth, and moisten the cloth that you will cover over the dough for fermentation.
- Let’s also give an extra tip: if you knead the dough a little after the first fermentation and make the second fermentation for 20 minutes, half an hour, your dough will have the perfect consistency.
What is Dry Yeast?
- Dry yeast is actually the dried and turned into small particles of fresh yeast.
- With warm water and milk, it is immediately ready for the task for all pastry recipes.
- Dry yeast, which is not coy, like fresh yeast, can stay intact in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks after opening the package.
You can also use yeast varieties interchangeably, you just need to change the ratios:
- In recipes of the same size, 1 unit of dry yeast replaces 2 units of fresh yeast.
- Instant yeast can be used as ¾ of 1 unit of dry yeast.
Average in dry yeast:
- 40-60% protein
- 35-45% carbohydrates
- 4-6% lipid (fat)
- It contains 5-7% minerals (potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus) and very small amounts of vitamins (B1, B2, B6, PP).
What is Probiotic Yeast?
- According to the World Health Organization statement, probiotics are beneficial bacteria that contribute positively to our health.
- Especially for the intestines, which are considered important enough to be called the “second brain” today, they are invaluable blessings.
- Probiotic yeasts are actually special yeasts that can be used in the production of yogurt and cheese that will contain probiotics.
- Thanks to the dairy products you will make with this type of yeast, you can contribute to the more efficient functioning of your intestines.