What is tamale? How to Make and Eat at Home?
Tamale: A Special Taste of Mexican Cuisine! Dating back to 8000 – 5000 BC, tamale is one of Mexico’s most important flavors . This dish, which is widely cooked in many homes in the Americas; It is made with various ingredients, especially chicken breast, dough and tomatoes. This unique flavor is wrapped in a banana or corn leaf and cooked.
If you like to try different flavors, tamale is the dish for you! We invite you to read the rest of our article for the perfect tamale recipe and information about this delicious dish.
What is tamale?
- Those who hear this dish for the first time ask, “What does tamale mean?” tamal; It was translated into Spanish from the Nahuati word “tamalli” meaning “wrapped”. Tamale is a dish often made in the Americas, whose homeland is Mexico.
- We can say that it is a kind of street flavor.
- In some sources, you can see that this dish is referred to as tamales. Tamales is the plural of tamales.
- It is a heavy but delicious dish.
- It looks like stuffed corn in appearance.
- It is known that the history of this dish dates back to 8000-5000 BC.
- Prepared with various ingredients, especially chicken breast, tomato and dough, tamale is cooked by wrapping in corn or banana leaves. Before the tamale is eaten, the wrapped leaf is separated from the main meal.
- Tamale, one of the most special flavors of Mexican cuisine, is a popular dish not only in the Americas but all over the world.
- Tamale dish has different names in many countries such as USA, Argentina, Venezuela, Cuba, Peru.
How to Make Tamale Tips
- To prepare the tamale you will need 500 grams of chicken breast, 5 glasses of water, 3 medium tomatoes, 20 dried corn leaves, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 red peppers, a teaspoon of salt, thyme and cumin.
- In addition to these ingredients, you need 2 glasses of chicken breast water, 2 glasses of corn flour, 250 g butter and a tablespoon of baking powder to prepare the dough.
- If the ingredients are ready, let’s move on to the recipe without wasting any more time!
- You should start by softening the corn leaves first. For this, simply soak the corn leaves in warm water.
- To prepare the dough called masa, combine the table dough ingredients mentioned above in a suitable bowl and knead well. Then rub this dough you prepared on the inside of the corn leaves.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken breast into small pieces. Then add all the ingredients and spices except water and prepare a mortar. Add this mortar you prepared on the table dough and wrap the corn leaves.
- We have come to the last stage… Place the wrapped corn leaves in a large and deep pot, add water and cook for about 40 minutes.
- Your tamarind is already ready! Good luck to those who will try.
- If you wish, let’s talk about the tricks of tamale…
- You can also use turkey meat in the first mix of tamale. As a matter of fact, different materials can be used in the interior mortar of tamale.
- Tamale also has vegan options. If you do not consume animal foods, you can use vegetables instead of chicken breast or turkey meat. Which vegetables to use depends entirely on your taste.
- For tamale, you should use 20-24 cm long dried corn leaves.
- If you are going to use fresh corn leaves, you must first boil the corn leaf.
- For this dish, you should buy flour with tamale flour on it.
- Put a plate on top of the corn husks while soaking. Soak the corn for about 1 hour.
- Prepare 12 pieces of 25 cm long kitchen string to drain the corn husks. Strain the water by hanging the corn husks with this rope.
- After you put the stuffing, you should close the corn leaves tightly. Because the stuffing will swell as it cooks. If the corn leaf is not tightly closed, the leaf begins to open when the inner material swells.
- When placing the tamales in the pot, you should arrange them in a single row.
- You can serve tamale with hot pepper sauce if you wish.
How to Eat Tamales
- When eating tamale, the outside of the banana or corn leaf is opened.
- So the leaves are inedible.
- Its dough and stuffing, called masa, are consumed with pleasure.