What is Basal Metabolism? How is it calculated?
Basal Metabolic Rate: The human body is constantly working. While asleep, body functions are performed and metabolism is working. The metabolic rate is very important for those who want to lose weight. There is more than one type of metabolism and it must be controlled in order to lose weight or have a healthier body.
In order to digest and burn the nutrients taken into the body, the metabolic rate should be at ideal values depending on age. Now we will give you information about the basal metabolic rate, which you often hear from dietitians. In this article, we will examine the effects of basal metabolism on your body.
What is Basal Metabolism?
- Our body constantly expends energy. Basal metabolism is the name given to the energy the body spends when it is at its most stagnant.
- A person expends energy while fasting or asleep for about 12 hours. This expended energy is spent thanks to the basal metabolic rate.
- Since the production and destruction actions continue in the body, energy expenditure occurs with the effect of basal metabolism.
- Basal metabolism is effective for providing blood flow or for the healthy functioning of organs.
- The basal metabolic rate of each body is different from each other. For this reason, a personal calculation is applied when basal metabolism calculation is made.
- There are some conditions that affect basal metabolism. The first of these is age. Basal metabolic rate of each age is different from each other.
- The general condition of the body affects the basal metabolic rate. Factors such as pregnancy, diet and sports draw attention in this regard.
- Genetic factors and chronic diseases change the basal metabolic rate. The drugs used affect the energy that the body will burn when stagnant.
- A healthy nutrition program is applied to increase the basal metabolic rate. Thus, your body continues to burn fat while you are asleep or lying down and resting for hours.
- Thanks to the consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits, spices and water, you will increase the basal metabolic rate.
- Basal metabolic rate has a great role in important actions such as nerve functions, brain functions, cell regeneration and growth, body temperature control, blood circulation and respiration.
- Knowing a person’s basal metabolic rate is important. Because the calories needed are calculated according to these values.
How is Basal Metabolism Calculated?
Some criteria are taken into account when calculating basal metabolism. These titles are:
Basal metabolism, calculated with a special system called the Harris-Benedict Equation , is calculated specifically for men and women.
- For men: 66 + (13.7 x weight in Kilograms) + (5 x height in centimeters) – (6.8 x age)
- For women: 655 + (9.6 x weight in Kilograms) + (1.7 x height in centimeters) – (4.7 x age)
What Should Basal Metabolism Be?
In order to lose weight in a healthy way and have a better body system, it is necessary to catch the basal metabolic values at the ideal rate. Let’s remember what the basal metabolic values of men and women should be by examining the values of basal metabolism examples.
- Basal metabolic rate slows down with age, as the muscle ratio in the body decreases. Especially after the age of 40, a slowdown occurs between 2% and 5% every 10 years.
- The basal metabolic rate of women during pregnancy increases by 22-33%. For this reason, they digest their food quickly and get hungry more often.
- In fasting, the basal metabolic rate slows down. In this case, basal metabolism drops due to diets low in calories.
- An average of 7% increase is seen in the basal metabolic rate of people who have had a very febrile illness.
- In cases where thyroid hormone is not secreted, the basal metabolic rate decreases by 30-50%.
Is Eating Below Basal Metabolism Healthy or Harmful?
Nutritionists often receive questions about eating below basal metabolism. Well, is it a healthy action to eat below basal metabolism? What do dietitians think about this issue?
- If you do not measure your basal metabolic value before dieting, you cannot lose weight consciously, and the lost weight is gained afterward.
- If you follow the nutrition list below the basal metabolism, you will get hungry very quickly and the weight loss action will be delayed because the satiety is not provided for a long time.
- You get tired very quickly. Your body cannot find the energy it needs to burn fat.
- You weaken the immune system. Stay away from feeding below basal metabolism.
- It will be healthier to get the calories your body needs during the day.
How Many Calories Does Basal Metabolism Burn?
Basal metabolism causes weight loss at different values in men and women. If we examine these values, we can express them as follows:
- For women: BMR is between 1000 -1400 calories.
- For men: BMR is expected to be around 1200 -1600 calories.