What Are the Benefits of Raisins?
Known for its resistance to severe winter conditions, grapes can be grown almost anywhere due to its soil-free structure. 65 million tons of grapes are produced every year in the world. A very large amount of grapes produced are dried and consumed. Turkey ranks first in raisin production in the world. Australia, Argentina, Greece, South Africa, Iran, Chile and the USA follow Turkey in raisin production. Raisins are mostly produced in the Aegean Region in Turkey.
Grape is a fruit that grows in summer. Grapes that mature with the summer heat and gain their taste and aroma come to our tables in September and October. The fresh grape season lasts until December. Grapes that are not consumed fresh after this month can be dried and eaten in all seasons. It is also appreciated with its raisin compote, which is generally consumed with other nuts such as walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, and roasted chickpeas. Raisins, which are also added to cakes, muffins and cookies, are also used as a flavoring in some dishes.
What Are the Benefits of Raisins?
- Located in raisins content iron because iron deficiency results are useful in treating anemia occurs.
- Organic raisins containing antioxidant substances protect body cells. In particular, it prevents the formation of cancer cells.
- Raisins, which have positive effects on eye health, are especially beneficial for eye disease called yellow spot.
- Raisins , which have high calories, are subject to the question of whether they gain weight. However, thanks to the high fiber content of raisins, which helps with sudden sweet crises for dieters, it also prevents constipation. So, do raisins weaken with these features ? When raisins are consumed in certain amounts, it helps to lose weight, but excessive consumption can cause weight gain because it increases the calorie content of the body.
- In addition, raisin juice obtained as a result of boiling raisins supports the digestive system and is recommended by experts due to its detoxifying effect from the body.
- Raisins benefits for skin also come to the fore with their for the . The antioxidant component of resveratrol in its content helps to protect skin health.
- The seeds are as important as the raisin itself. Raisin seeds are rich in antioxidants. Among the benefits of raisin seeds are protection from environmental pollution, accelerating blood circulation and cleansing the blood, being an anti-inflammatory, protecting skin, hair and eye health.
- In addition, raisin seed powder obtained as a result of grinding raisin seeds has the effect of lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart attack.
Raisins Calories and Nutritional Value
Raisins are a nutrient that stands out with its benefits. How many calories does raisin contain, which has a different place in Turkish taste? 100 grams of raisins, which have high carbohydrate and protein value, contain 300 calories, approximately 3.1 grams of protein and 3.7 grams of fiber.Raisins containing antioxidant components are rich in vitamins C, B6, B1, B2 and formic acid, organic acid, phosphoric acid, calcium, phosphorus and iron minerals.
Raisins are high in sugar. So, do raisins raise sugar?Raisins are a food that should be consumed with caution by diabetics. Consumption of more than the recommended amount has a blood sugar-increasing effect.
When should raisins be eaten for maximum health benefits ? It is recommended to eat raisins on an empty stomach in the morning to benefit from the effect of stimulating the intestines and enhancing memory.
How to Make Raisins? How is it stored?
The most frequently asked question about raisins is how to dry raisins. Grapes are dried using two different methods.
- The first is natural drying . In the natural grape drying method, the grapes are hung in bunches in a sunny place.
- The second grape drying method is by dipping method. In this method, the grapes are immersed in dipping water prepared using olive oil and grape drying soda, and then left to dry in a sun-exposed place. Dried grapes are separated from their clusters and stored in cloth bags in cool rooms that do not contain moisture.
Are raisins washed before eating ? Raisins are washed before eating, but it is useful to dry them immediately after washing. When raisins swell when combined with water, they should be dried in paper or a clean towel as soon as they are washed. Organic raisins dried with natural drying method gain more appreciation with their benefits.
What are the Raisin Varieties?
Raisins differ according to the grape variety they are dried.
- Sultani seedless grapes dried using seedless grapes with green and yellow thin skin the most popular raisin variety.
- One of the most preferred raisin varieties for drying is Besni raisin variety. This raisin variety, which has 2-3 seeds, wins me over with its meaty structure and flavor.
- The dried currant variety, which is preferred by those who like sour with its slightly sour taste, is seedless and small. This raisin variety , which is the most common in the markets , is also called Corinth . The grape variety, which is frequently used in the production of stuffed and halvah with its pink, white and black colors, is used completely for drying.
- Samancı seedless raisin variety, which is a brittle and coarse-grained raisin variety, is less watery and has a hard texture.
Are There Any Harms of Raisins?
Due to the high sugar content of raisins , it causes weight gain when consumed excessively. Excessive consumption can also cause fatty liver.
Do raisins cause gas? Due to the compounds used during the drying process, raisins have gas-forming properties in the intestines.
In some bodies, raisins have an allergic effect . Raisins have high fructose. People with fructose intolerance may experience deterioration in liver and kidney functions.
So, do raisins cause acne?Excessive consumption of raisins can cause acne, especially in people with impaired liver function and fatty liver.
Do raisins hurt the stomach? If consumed in moderation, raisins, which are beneficial against stomach disorders, may increase stomach acids in excessive consumption.