Rhododendron: Benefits, Uses and Side Effects
Rhododendron: 2000 Years of Healer! Other names of sticky andiz grass are hellebore, wormwood, flea grass, shepherd’s tinder grass, shroud grass and zimerite . Adhesive grass, which is claimed to be effective in cancer treatment, is a plant used in traditional healing methods. It is used for various purposes all over the world. It is known that it has been used in traditional medicine for about two thousand years by Arabs and Bedouins living in Israel and Palestine.
Its recorded history goes back to Roman historian and writer Pilinius, who lived between AD 23-79. Pilinius stated that the sticky andaz grass was used to strengthen the teeth. It has also been recorded that the tea made from the roots of the herb is used to relieve cough, intestinal worms, flatulence and pains.
According to the information from those dates, sticky grass is a plant used as a medicine in the treatment of poisonous animal bites. In this article, we have gathered all the details that you would like to learn about the purposes and benefits of today’s use.
The information is general advice; For the most accurate results in all your serious health problems, you should definitely get doctor support.
What Is Rhododendron, Where Does It Grow?
- Sticky andaz grass, Latin name Inula viscosa L., is a perennial medicinal plant from the Asteraceae (daisyaceae) family. The plant, which is 1 meter tall, has sawtooth-like and resinous leaves, is used in traditional treatment as an anti-inflammatory, expectorant, cough suppressant, diuretic and relieving rheumatic pains.
- In addition to these, it is a medicinal plant used in the treatment of anemia, tuberculosis, bronchitis, cancer, stomach and duodenal diseases. It has a strong aromatic odor due to the camphor substance it contains.
- The stem and leaves of the rhododendron are covered with a sticky resin. The density of the resin increases in hot weather. Sticky gets its definition from this property. Sticky rhododendron resin, which grows in the Mediterranean climate, shows more bacteria and fungi killing properties than the types found in Europe.
- The plant grows naturally in the regions where the Mediterranean climate is experienced and in the continents of Asia, Europe and Africa.
- In Turkey, it is a plant that grows spontaneously in regions where the Mediterranean climate is dominant. Sticky andiz grass is mostly found in Manisa and Akhisar regions.
- You can often come across it on roads and watersides in the Mediterranean basin. Manisa, İzmir, Balıkesir, Çanakkale, Mersin, Muğla, Antalya are the cities where sticky rhododendron is most common.
- Sticky anduz herb price is 50 TL per 100 gr. If you are wondering where to find sticky andz, you can find this plant from herbalists, special markets and the internet. You can find rhododendron products sold in bunches or packs.
What Are the Benefits of Rhododendron?
In addition to the information given above, the benefits of sticky grass can be listed as follows:
- The most obvious benefit is that it has expectorant properties.
- It is used in the treatment of dry cough or chronic cough. It relieves cough.
- It balances sweating in the body. It ensures the normal level of sweating.
- It destroys harmful parasites that settle in the intestines.
- It provides relief by removing the swelling in the body.
- Sticky andaz grass has diuretic properties. Therefore, it greatly increases the flow of urine.
- It is used in the treatment of fungal infections in the body. With its antifungal feature, it prevents the recurrence of the fungus.
- It reduces inflammation as it is anti-inflammatory. It helps to get rid of inflammation in the body.
- It has a significant effect on the mucosa. It has a soothing effect.
- The opinion that sticky andaz grass has therapeutic properties on cancer is a topic that has been talked about in recent years.
- Sticky andaz is a plant that was also studied by İbrahim Saraçoğlu, and Saraçoğlu underlines its anti-infective effect.
- Sticky andaz grass is among the plants recommended for hemorrhoids. Of course, first of all, expert opinion should be obtained to investigate the underlying causes. For hemorrhoids, you can mix powdered andaz grass with olive oil and apply it to the problem area.
The following information can be given about the use of sticky andaz grass in medicine:
- It is used in the treatment of skin infections in horses.
- It is also used in the treatment of sheep suffering from scabies.
- It is used to relieve coughs caused by bronchitis and lung infection in humans.
- It is beneficial in relieving nausea and bloating as it aids digestion.
- It balances the blood sugar in the body.
- Herbalist Professor İbrahim Saraçoğlu says that sticky thyme has anti-infective and expectorant properties.
- For the treatment of anemia, he recommends molasses.
How to Use Rhododendron?
The chemical components of sticky andiz grass consist of the following substances:
- Essential oils containing ciskiterpene lactones such as alantolactone, isoalantolactone
- Sterols (sitosterol, stigmasterin)
Suggestions for the use of sticky andaz grass are as follows:
- Boil 1 liter of water, add 2 – 3 medium-sized andaz grasses and boil it covered on low heat for 12 minutes.
- When the boiling is over, turn off the heat and let it brew. After 10 – 20 minutes, strain the mixture into a bowl.
- Thus, your tea, which is necessary for daily use, is prepared. The preparation of sticky andaz grass should be made from fresh and natural herbs and the prepared herbal tea should be drunk daily.
- You should consume the sticky andaz grass juice within 24 hours. You can see the benefit after 21 days of cure.
- Dried and powdered sticky rhododendron leaves are also used by sprinkling on wounds. It is said that its tincture prepared in alcohol can be used for healing wounds and killing germs.
- It is known that if fresh leaves are placed on the bleeding open wound, it provides blood coagulation.
- For rheumatic joint inflammation and joint pains, it can be good if you prepare a herbal tea and add it to the bath tub and enter it.
Is Rhododendron Effective in Cancer Treatment?
- In preclinical studies, it has been observed that a component found in sticky thyme kills some cancer cells.
- It is thought that the extract prepared in special solvents may be effective in killing cancer cells. But advanced studies have not been done yet.
- Scientifically, there is no information that it is a cancer-curing plant alone.
- There is no case report that can be said to be 100% curative for cancer treatment.
- People who have cancer and are being treated must first consult their doctor if they want to use this herb. Otherwise, they may encounter undesirable results.
- Sticky andız herb was recommended by İsmail Yıldırım for cancer and this suggestion also found its place in the news pages.
- Lokman from Akhisar, Physician İbrahim Yıldırım recommends the sticky andaz grass cure to support medical treatment.
Rhododendron Harms and Side Effects
- There are no obvious harms and side effects of sticky andaz grass yet. But like all herbal remedies, it is not right to use it haphazardly.
- It is not recommended for those who use regular medication, those with chronic diseases, pregnant women and nursing mothers to apply sticky andaz grass cures.
- It is definitely not correct to give it to small children. If it is used above the recommended dose, some side effects may occur.
It is possible to rank them as follows:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea and frequent urination
- Spasms in the abdomen