Rhubarb: Nutritional properties of rhubarb in food
Rhubarb ( Rheum rhabarbarum) is a plant considered a superfood with antioxidant powers thanks to its vitamin C (8 mg) whose origin is in China and cultivated as a vegetable due to its edible stem, it is a species of flowering plant belonging to the family of Polygonaceae and native to Ukraine. This plant manages to reach a wingspan of 3 meters in height and has a color between red and green, its only edible part being the stem because both its roots and leaves are very rich in oxalic acid and therefore extremely toxic to humans. .
The appearance of rhubarb is reminiscent of a perfect mix between celery and chard with a growing popularity and a slightly acidic flavor , which is why it needs to be cooked and is usually served in desserts and sweet dishes ( pastries ) with the firm intention of lowering its strong flavor, although it has also managed to gain a place in salty dishes and is perfect for maintaining an excellent electrolyte balance through its potassium (288 mg) and extremely low in calories, making it ideal for weight loss diets.
The Remarkable Nutritional Value of Rhubarb
For every 100 grams of rhubarb consumed, you can access a countless amount of vitamins and minerals widely necessary for a balanced diet and excellent to offer you iron health. Among the most outstanding contributions you can have:
- Carbohydrates : 4.5 grams.
- Dietary fiber: 1.8 grams.
- Calcium : 86mg.
- Calories: 21 kcal.
- Vitamin K : 29.3 μg
- Vitamin C: 8mg.
- Magnesium: 12mg.
- Potassium : 288mg.
- Sugars: 1.10 grams.
Rhubarb as a nutritious and healthy food
A superfood that is mostly made up of water (95%) and that is fully indicated for those who want to carry out a diet to eliminate body weight. In addition to an outstanding richness in dietary fiber , it works very well to regularize intestinal transit.
Its cholesterol content is also low (0 mg) , being optimal for achieving an unbeatable contribution to the protection of your blood vessels, avoiding or preventing the onset of cardiovascular diseases, in addition to a perfect vitamin C content so that you can absorb the necessary iron . of the food consumed.
Calcium is also present in rhubarb, becoming an unconditional ally of your bone system and your teeth, as well as potassium with which to recover hydration and muscle tone after a physical effort of some importance.
In addition, it is a food capable of being an antioxidant and its consumption is preventive of cellular oxidation, it also achieves a magnificent quality of your digestion and studies have proven that it is an ideal plant to recover intestinal functions after suffering from gastroenteritis.
Existing varieties of this vegetable with a bitter taste
The variations of this plant are mainly due to the difference in temperature in the area where each of its variants develops, let’s see the different types of rhubarb that exist:
- Wild rhubarb : Also known as Canegra, it is a perennial plant with triangular-shaped seeds and native to Mexico and the United States.
- Bog Rhubarb : Called giant rhubarb and native to Japan, it is a herbaceous plant with a long shelf life. The shoots that make their appearance in each spring are generally consumed.
- Wild rhubarb : With an origin in the European, African regions and parts of Asia and which has evidently naturalized worldwide. It is the one with the highest range of use and can be found on vacant lots, beaches and in the fields. Its erect plant shape stands out with a summer flowering and a long life.
Nutritional properties of rhubarb in food
Modern cuisine has managed to incorporate this superfood into many exquisite dishes of the highest gastronomic and gourmet quality, especially in the preparation of delicious desserts and healthy salads . It is a plant widely recommended for its countless nutrients and for its medicinal qualities.
- Proteins : Its protein-related contribution to the daily diet is insignificant, hence the use of some type of vegetable or animal protein is recommended to achieve a correct balance in your diet.
- Fibers : Widely beneficial thanks to fiber being an essential compound of rhubarb, its high levels of pectin make this food a significant helper for the human body to enjoy efficient digestion.
- Sugars and carbohydrates : It has a low glycemic index and a low carbohydrate content, hence its excellent offer to be used in various dietary regimens and in people suffering from diabetes.
- Minerals and vitamins : The main mineral supplied to the body is potassium, generating outstanding diuretic properties in addition to having selenium, magnesium and zinc. In relation to vitamins, vitamin K stands out for excellent blood coagulation , as well as vitamin C, A, thiamin and riboflavin.
- Fats : Its fat content is almost nil, so its consumption is widely recommended for those who suffer from obesity or cardiovascular conditions.
- Additional compounds : Rhubarb is practically full of elements and substances of wide benefit for health and nutrition , it is possible to obtain acids in its leaves and roots as well as araquinone glycosides, as well as tannins and the highly desired flavonoids . It is important to be careful with their consumption, since many of them are highly dangerous to health due to their toxic effects.
Consume it and enjoy the following benefits
- Healing properties , as well as remineralizing the body and antianemic .
- Effective stimulation of the immune system to achieve protection against many diseases.
- A strong diuretic action that allows you to eliminate excess fluids.
- Wide use as an astringent , antidiarrheal and to minimize bleeding in hemorrhages.
- A complete intestinal and digestive regulator as well as a wide use to correct problems of the oral mucosa.
In general, vegetables represent and offer you countless qualities and rhubarb does not escape them, it is capable of maximizing its offerings until it becomes and is classified as a true superfood capable of nourishing and at the same time curing and preventing many health conditions. It should be consumed with care and its roots and leaves given the necessary attention due to certain compounds that could be poisonous.
A vegetable that now that you know it you must include in your diet and regular diet to enjoy excellent nutrition and deal with many diseases, although it is somewhat complicated to obtain in Spain, it is possible that you can acquire it online in the countless supermarkets and giant establishments known to all.