How To Make Tapenade? 8 Variants
How to make tapenade? If you like olives, you like tapenade too. Or a tomato tapenade or avocado is also possible. There are many tapenades to make, but the original is with olives and capers. And is originally from Provence in France. But how do you make tapenade yourself?
How To Make Tapenade?
Olives and/or sun-dried tomatoes are cut into small pieces and put in a mixer. Then add olive oil and other ingredients such as basil and pine nuts and mix. Short for coarse tapenade, long for smooth tapenade.
It’s that easy to make tapenade. Tomato is one of the ingredients. Do you want to know which tomatoes are available and what you can use them for. Check out our blog ‘ The List Of Tomato Varieties And All Information ‘ and you will be informed immediately!
Make your own Tapenade
Today there are many tapenades for sale with or without olives, with or without capers. This blog discusses several recipes for making tapenade. We start of course with the olive tapenade and then the tomato tapenade. We conclude with two special tapenades.
Making your own tapenade is fairly easy to do. It is usually just a few ingredients that are mixed in a food processor. Olive oil is added for smoothness. Because olive oil is important for the tapenade, it is advisable to take an olive oil of good quality. You will really taste the difference!
It is sometimes quite difficult to make tapenade in a food processor. The quantities are often too small to mix well. If this is also the case with you, double the ingredients and make extra tapenade. What also works well is the use of a stick blender. Then put your ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
Making Olive Tapenade
The original recipes for making tapenade come from Provence and all contain olives as the main ingredient. That is why we first give two options for making tapenade with green and black olives.
It certainly matters whether you use green or black olives. The green olives are younger, harder and softer in taste, they will dominate less in your tapenade. The black olives are older, softer and stronger in taste.
So make your choice! Of course you can also mix them. This is how you create your own tapenade. And that is cooking; try it and see if it tastes good. So go wild and make your own tapenade. To help you on your way, here are two recipes with olives.
Green Olive Tapenade
The green olives have a softer taste and therefore make your tapenade milder. Below are the ingredients and instructions for preparation.
- 100 grams of green olives without pit
- 15 grams capers
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 45 grams of pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper and possibly lemon juice
You can also add a handful of fresh basil leaves. It is made as follows:
- Place a frying pan on the heat source and roast the pine nuts without oil. Keep the pine nuts moving or they will burn. When they smell nice and turn brown, they are ready. Then immediately remove them from the pan.
- Cut the olives into pieces
- Put all the ingredients in the food processor and mix it all into a coarse or smooth tapenade.
Your tapenade is ready. Now taste it to see if it tastes good. You can still flavor it now. Then add extra ingredients and mix this through, using a spoon or fork. In this case, do not use the mixer otherwise you will destroy the tapenade.
Black olives Tapenade
The black olives have a stronger taste and make your tapenade nice and spicy. What do you need to make a delicious green olive tapenade?
- 70 grams of pitted black olives
- 1 – 1.5 tablespoon capers
- 1-1.5 tbsp good quality olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
You prepare it as follows:
- Cut the olives into small pieces
- Press the garlic in the mixer
- Now put everything in the food processor and mix. The longer you mix, the smoother the tapenade will be. For a coarse tapenade, do not mix for too long.
Now taste whether your tapenade is tasty. Is it okay to do nothing more. If it could use some more flavor, you can now flavor your tapenade. Add the ingredients and stir with a spoon or fork.
Making Tomato Tapenade
The well-known red tapenade is made from tomatoes; fresh tomatoes with bell pepper or sun-dried tomatoes. We also provide a recipe for both types of tomato below to help you on your way. Play with the ingredients and make your own tapenade, this is so much fun to do. Good luck.
Tapenade Sundried Tomatoes
The sun-dried tomato tapenade is a well-known one. You often get this in restaurants because it is more accessible in taste than olive tapenade. What do you need and how can you prepare it?
- 225 grams of sun-dried tomatoes from a jar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 20 grams pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- fresh basil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
If you are allergic to pine nuts, you can of course omit them and replace them with, for example, walnuts. It is made as follows:
- Toast the pine nuts in a frying pan over medium heat. Keep the pine nuts moving. When they start to smell nice and turn brown, remove them from the pan. Roast them without oil.
- Cut the sun-dried tomatoes into pieces and put them in the mixer.
- Then the rest of the ingredients go into the mixer.
If you want it smoother, add more oil foil. Taste to see if your tapenade is flavorful or add ingredients to give it more flavour. Stir this preferably and with a fork. Enjoy your meal.
Making Fresh Tomatoes Tapenade
Fresh tomato tapenade is a coarse tapenade. It is also known as Bruchetta. We don’t use a mixer, we mix everything together. This tapenade is completely different from sun-dried tomato tapenade.
What do you need and how do you prepare it?
- Fresh tomatoes with great taste. If you are not sure, check out our blog about the tomato varieties and their application.
- Fresh basil
- Good olive oil
- A clove of fresh garlic
- Pepper and salt
The quantities are at your own discretion and taste. For example, start with 4 tomatoes.
You prepare it as follows:
- Cut the tomatoes into small cubes and let them drain in a sieve or colander.
- Then put the tomatoes in a bowl and squeeze the garlic.
- Cut the basil into pieces and put them straight into the bowl. The emphasis here is on cutting. If you don’t cut the basil leaves, you squeeze the juice out. You can also tear the leaves apart, so you don’t lose juice and therefore no taste.
- Put the oil and salt and pepper in the bowl and mix everything with a fork.
Taste to see if your dish is tasty. You can still flavor it. If you want it a little fresher, you can add a little lemon juice. Delicious on a toasted baguette or Italian bun.
Grilled bell pepper tapenade is another variant. Simple with winey ingredients but good taste! What do you need?
- 2 roasted peppers
- 20 black olives
- 25g pine nuts
- handful of basil
The method is as follows;
- Toast the pine nuts in the frying pan over a medium heat. When they start to smell and turn brown, remove them from the pan. Roast them without oil.
- Cut the bell pepper into pieces and put it in the mixer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and now mix everything.
Taste to see if your dish is tasty. If you want to add more oil, add more paprika. Make the tapenade to your taste.
Making Avocado Tapenade
I sometimes come across avocado tapenade. This is really just guacamole. No more and no less. We have written an entire blog about guacamole; ‘ How to Make Guacamole? 5 variants ‘ tells you all about it.
These are our ways to make tasty tapenade. Grab your favorite and get going. Good luck.