How to Grow the Most Efficient Lemon in 5 Steps
A Guide to Growing Lemon from a Seed to a Pot
Lemon is the first fruit that comes to mind when it comes to vitamin C. Used in many areas in the kitchen, lemon also provides great benefits to people in the field of cosmetics. Lemon, which has antioxidant properties, gives successful results in lightening skin blemishes and purifying the body. Skin masks made with lemon bring health to many people.
Are you also a frequent user of lemon in your life? If you say you can’t do without lemon; Now we would like to give you some guidance on how to grow a lemon tree at home. Lemon will now be at your home in its most natural form!
For families with children, the lemon growing activity is a great option that will increase the child’s love of nature and increase the awareness of responsibility. Lemon, whose seed is its own seed, has been grown from seedlings in recent years. Those who cannot be patient for the seed to sprout and grow, buy lemon seedlings and care for them. In this article, where we have prepared special tips for them, we will satisfy their curiosity of how to grow lemon seedlings.
Growing lemons is very practical in pots, are you ready to experience the feeling of being in touch with nature, take care of agriculture and relieving stress, while coloring your home and having all the healing of lemons right next to you? Now you can start reading our article to become more specialized in organic farming.
Ingredients You Need to Grow Lemons
Those who say how to grow lemons in pots are offered two different options: They can choose the method of growing lemons from the seed and from the branch.
If you are thinking of growing lemons from seed, you will have a long time ahead of you. When you say that you want to grow lemons with the method of germination from the branch; You will have advanced a few years. You can start preparing the materials on our list to ensure growing conditions in general:
- lemon seeds
- spray bottle
- Paper towel
- Carrier bag
- lemon seedling
If the materials are ready, now let’s roll up our sleeves to grow lemons:
How to Grow Lemon from Seed in 5 Steps?
1) Clean the Kernel
- It is possible to grow a lemon from the seed, as long as you complete the steps patiently and correctly.
- To grow lemons you need the seeds of a good lemon. For this, first of all, lemon seeds are provided.
- The lemon seeds found are well separated from the lemon.
- The membrane outside the nucleus is cleaned.
- The cleaned kernel will look like dry corn.
- At this point, the next stage awaits you.
2) Prepare the Germination Medium
- A humid environment is needed for the germination of lemon seeds. For this, an artificial moist area is created.
- Spray water with a spray bottle on a paper towel and hide the seeds in the wet area.
- Close the paper towel and spray it with water spray again.
- The goal is to keep the towel paper moist.
- You should put this towel in a bag and close it well.
- With the oxygen in the bag, the seeds begin to germinate.
3) 10-Day Wait
- You should keep the towel paper in the bag in a dark area for about 10 days.
- At the end of 10 days, when you open the bag and check the seeds, you will see that the seeds have sprouted.
- So what will happen to these cores? Let’s move on to the next topic…
4) Moving to a Pot
- You should transplant the sprouted seeds into a medium-sized pot.
- Fill half the pot with soil during transplanting.
- Place the seeds so that the germinating part of the seeds is close to the soil.
- The last soil you will put in the pot should be in a way that allows the seeds to breathe.
- Finish the stage of moving to the pot without covering the surface too much.
- After about 1 month, the sprouting seed begins to give leaves and grow.
- In this case, the careful maintenance process begins.
- If you chose a small size pot, you can change the pot to a larger size.
- The only thing you can do after this time is; Check and maintain the growing seedling daily.
How to Care for a Lemon Tree in Pots?
1) Pot Selection
- If you have a small garden, you can think about how to grow a lemon tree in the garden.
- We recommend growing the lemon tree in pots until it reaches a certain size. To strengthen the roots, you can choose a pot with a size of 15 liters.
- If you want to grow lemons at home or on the balcony; decorative medium-sized pots will make your work easier.
- Having holes in the bottom of the pot allows the plant to breathe. keep in mind!
2) Soil Type
- When the soil type is chosen correctly to grow lemons, your lemons will grow more easily and their nutritional values will be strong.
- The soil type required for the lemon seedling should contain 90% peat.
- If you choose soil containing organic fertilizers, you will provide the best conditions for the growth of the seedling.
- To grow lemon seedlings, you can take soils with high clay and humus content.
- Mediterranean soils are very suitable for this plant.
- Lemon trees grow in humid and warm areas. Lemon trees, which are seen in abundance on the Aegean and Mediterranean coasts, will still require the same care when grown at home.
- The basic thing you need to grow lemons is very simple; clean water.
- Lemon, which requires plenty of water, bears bitter fruit when dehydrated.
- We recommend that you do not leave the lemon plant without water during the spring and summer periods.
- When you say you want lots of water; We recommend that you avoid watering enough to rot the soil.
- If the soil becomes muddy, the plant will begin to rot. Therefore, it is recommended to irrigate in a controlled manner.
- You can facilitate the growth of lemon seedlings by watering in the evening in summer days.
- In order to grow a lemon tree, your seedling is growing. At this stage, you should take care that the plant is in a place that it will love.
- The lemon plant, which seeks the sun during the sprouting phase, likes to receive the sun directly.
- It can be exposed to freezing and dry in the cold. Therefore, in the case of growing at home, you can put the pot in the sun-drenched corners.
- If you are not in a sunny city, you can benefit from artificial lights prepared for plants.
- During the lemon growing process, you can use fertilizer to make the plant grow more easily.
- If you want to fertilize the pot while growing lemons at home, we do not recommend giving animal manure.
- You can give fertilizer to the plant during the flowering period.
- Sterile and organic fertilizers can be beneficial.
- You can benefit from organic fertilizers containing zinc and boron.
- There is a certain range of temperature factors among lemon growing conditions.
- The lemon tree is a heat-loving plant. It has a staying power of up to 45 degrees.
- When the temperature is -8 degrees, the lemon plant loses its vitality and rots.
- It completes its growth best between 12 and 23 degrees during the flowering period.
- When your seedling starts to grow, you come to pruning between the lemon growing stages.
- The lemon tree needs to be pruned to breathe more easily.
- But the pruning period takes place after a certain period of time.
- It would be correct not to cut branches larger than 5 cm.
- It is important that each branch is larger than the other.
- If you prune every branch in the same way; they do not receive the sun evenly and leaf development weakens.
6 Tips for Growing Lemons at Home
In the Mediterranean and Aegean provinces, the lemon plant takes its place in almost every garden and every house. Lemon cultivation has now become a hobby and organic farming field. Let’s list the information that will increase the yield for those who want to grow lemons on the balcony and in the home environment:
- You have to keep the place of the lemon pot fixed. The pot that changes position constantly loses its efficiency.
- Lemon’s soil does not like to stay dry. You should take care to create a humid environment.
- If you are taking action with a lemon plant at home, we recommend that you create two pots. Because a lemon grows healthier if there is another lemon tree next to it.
- If there is water left in the pot plate after watering, you should pour this water.
- It is recommended to take the lemon pot to an airy environment in spring. Because the lemon plant, which is in the airflow, blooms and gives the fruit more quickly.
- In the spring, you start to smell the lemon flowers. For this reason, if you take care of it regularly in winter days, you can make yourself happy with the flowers of the lemon tree when spring comes.
Lemon Tree Prices 2021 – Where to Sell?
- If you want to buy a lemon tree and grow it at home; You can stop by the greenhouse closest to you.
- The region you are in is also effective in obtaining the plant.
- It can be a little difficult to find lemon seedlings in cold and arid cities.
- Even if you find it, it may not be possible for you to survive for a long time due to weather conditions.
- The price of lemon seedlings that you will buy from greenhouses and plant stores may vary according to their size.