How to freeze fennel?
Since fennel is rich in water, it freezes easily. Freezing may affect its crispiness but not its flavor. The only precaution to take is to store your fennel completely airtight.
How to freeze fennel?
As you probably know, several parts of fennel are edible. There is the bulb, the fronds and the seeds. We will first focus on the main part of fennel, the bulb, and the best method to freeze it.
- We recommend freezing your fennel sliced or diced depending on what you plan to use it for. Remove the tough outer leaves, remove the stalk, then cut your fennel into slices or dices.
- Blanch the slices or cubes in salted boiling water for no more than 30 seconds, then drain. Then immediately plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking.
- Put the slices or diced fennel in a freezer bag. Seal the bag tightly, removing as much air as possible. The fennel will keep better and longer in the freezer and the bag will take up less space.
- Put the bag in the freezer.
How to freeze fennel leaves?
As you know, fennel leaves are fragile and need to be handled with care to preserve their texture and flavor while freezing. If you’re a bit rough, you risk bruising the leaves, which will release their flavor before you have a chance to use them. To freeze fennel leaves properly, follow the steps below:
- Gently detach the leaves from their stems using a knife or by pulling them with your fingers.
- Choose only bright green leaves that are not damaged or diseased.
- Fill the compartments of an ice cube tray with the fennel leaves.
- Pour water to fill the ice cube tray to the top and put it in the freezer.
- Once the ice cubes are frozen, take the ice cube tray out of the freezer.
- Transfer the ice cubes to a freezer bag and put them back in the freezer.
What is the shelf life of fennel in the freezer?
Fennel will keep for about 10 to 12 months in the freezer.
How to thaw fennel?
Thawed fennel may change somewhat in texture and shape. That’s why we don’t recommend using it raw in salads, for example. However, its flavor and aroma will remain unchanged.
To thaw a fennel bulb, simply take it out of the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. After which, you can use it in the same way as a fresh fennel bulb.
If you want to use fennel leaf ice cubes, you can add them directly to the dish you are preparing. The ice cubes will melt and the leaves will release their fragrance and flavor into your dish.
Can you refreeze fennel?
Fennel is a delicate plant with tender leaves, the texture of which deteriorates considerably when frozen. Refreezing can therefore damage it further and is not recommended. Instead, try to thaw only the amount you need.
Can you freeze fennel soup?
Provided you didn’t use cream, fennel soup is easy to freeze. Just divide it into freezer bags, seal them and store them in the freezer. If you add fat or dairy products to the soup and then freeze it, its texture may break down and become grainy; so avoid doing it.