Fish Oil Benefits: 14 Properties of Healing for All Ages
Known as brain food, fish oil draws attention with its numerous benefits to the body, from heart diseases to lowering cholesterol, from increasing fertility to weight loss.
Consuming fatty fish varieties with high omega 3 content frequently increases the omega 3 reserves in the body. Especially fish living in icy cold seas are richer in omega 3 fish oil. These fish varieties use omega 3 fatty acids as antifreeze to protect them from the cold. Fish such as anchovies, bonito, bluefish and horse mackerel grown in our country, especially in the Black Sea, also contain high omega 3.
Those who do not consume enough fish or do not like fish can increase the amount of omega 3 in their body by using fish oil capsules or fish oil syrup. When choosing a fish oil capsule, it is important that the fatty acid ratios called EPA and DHA are high. The total amount of these fatty acids in the capsule should be 750 milligrams. Omega 3 is an important fatty acid with a vital value for the body. Not getting the required omega 3 into the body increases the risk of chronic diseases.
The answers to the most common questions about the benefits of fish oil for those who want to use it as a supplement with the advice of a doctor and those who are curious have been compiled in this article. Let’s examine together what fish oil does and what it is good for!
What is Fish Oil? What are the types?
- Fish oil is a solid oil obtained from fish or sea creatures.
- It is generally obtained from the liver or body of the fish by pressing or cold pressing method from fish with high oil content such as tuna, bluefish, tuna, sardines, salmon and mackerel.
- There are two types of fish oil containing omega 3 fatty acids that cannot be synthesized by the body.
- The first is obtained from the body of the fish, and the second is obtained from its liver.
- Both fish oils are rich in omega 3; however, fish oils obtained from the liver are also very rich in vitamins A and D.
- The omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA in fish oil play an important role in protecting eye health and memory.
- Apart from omega 3 fatty acids, fish oil contains alpha-linolenic and gamma-linolenic fatty acids that help regulate cell functions.
Fish Oil Calories and Nutritional Values
- A balanced intake of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, which are among the essential fatty acids used in the body, helps cells to maintain their functions in a healthy way.
- Consumption of fish 2-3 times a week is sufficient in terms of omega 3 reserves.
- However, the way the fish is consumed is also very important.
- While the fish cooked in the oven or using the steaming method preserves its vitamin and mineral value, the fish cooked in oil loses its nutritional value.
- The calorie content of 100 grams of fish oil is 900 kcal.
- 1 teaspoon of fish oil is about 45 kcal.
- When the fish oil content, which is rich in vitamin A and calcium, is examined, it is observed that there are approximately 28 milligrams of omega 3 in 100 grams.
- Contrary to popular belief, fish oil does not contain protein.
- Fish oil nutritional values differ according to the type of fish.
- Fish oil capsules can be enriched with vitamins D, C, B3, B2, B1, A and D as well as iron or calcium.
- Fish oil, which is usually sold as liquid or capsules, should be used in doses recommended by the doctor because of its effects.
- The answer to the question of whether fish oil increases sexual power due to its high nutritional values is that it increases sexual power by stimulating dopamine secreted from the brain.
What Are the Benefits of Fish Oil? What Is It Good For?
- It helps in maintaining cardiovascular health.
- It plays an active role in regulating blood pressure by reducing cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Delays the effects of aging.
- Fish oil with vitamin D prevents the formation of acne and prevents skin rashes by protecting the skin from the harmful effects of the sun.
- It refreshes and regenerates the skin. It reduces wrinkles and promotes a smooth appearance of the skin. Fish oil is used in the treatment of acne and psoriasis due to its benefits to the skin.
- It reduces the inflammation of cells and protects the body against pain by preventing the work of chemicals that cause pain.
- It helps reduce the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- It delays vision problems that may occur in later ages.
- It prevents depression and anxiety and stress.
- Fish oil prevents behavioral disorders for children.
- Supports mental development, strengthens memory.
- Thanks to its effects on memory and brain health, it may reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- So, is fish oil good for forgetfulness? When fish oil is taken together with B12, it improves memory and gives clearer thinking power.
- Fish oil, which has antioxidant effects, prevents the formation of cancer cells. It helps prevent the proliferation of existing cancer cells. It ensures the removal of toxins from the body and helps to remove excess water accumulated in the body.
- It helps preserve muscle mass and prevents muscle loss.
- It supports healthy bone and tooth development.
- So, does fish oil improve intelligence? Yes, it supports the healthy development of the brain and helps it to function fully.
- It supports the immune system and protects the body against diseases.
- It plays an active role in nervous system functions.
- It plays a supportive role in the treatment of diabetes by regulating blood sugar.
- It is effective in preventing diseases such as dry eye and glaucoma. Fish oil is used in the treatment of eye diseases due to its benefits for the eyes.
- It reduces the risk of preterm birth and miscarriage and facilitates pregnancy by increasing fertility.
- Externally used fish oil cream is used in the treatment of athlete’s foot.
What Are the Side Effects of Fish Oil?
- Fish consumption and fish oil intake are not excessive.
- So, is fish oil harmful? If the use of fish oil is above the recommended dose, it may cause some health problems.
- So, what happens if you drink too much fish oil? Excessive fish oil consumption can cause side effects such as bad breath, nausea, heartburn, vomiting, diarrhea, nosebleeds, and itching.
- Those who are allergic to fish and seafood, liver patients, bipolar disorder, diabetes, depression, and heart rhythm disorders should not consume fish pills without consulting a specialist doctor. In addition, those who use birth control pills, high blood pressure drugs, obesity drugs, vitamin E supplements, blood coagulation drugs may also be inconvenient to consume fish oil.
- Apart from these, fish oil taken with herbal products such as turmeric, red clover, ginseng, ginger, garlic, and cloves, which slow down blood clotting, can increase bleeding.
- Although regular consumption of fish oil has a protective effect on body health, it should not be taken over the recommended dose.
Fish Oil Pill Usage: How and When to Use? What is the benefit?
- Because of its benefits, fish oil is used in the treatment of many diseases.
- The World Health Organization and nutritionists recommend eating fish 2 times a week; but if you do not like its taste or cannot find such an opportunity, you can use fish oil for omega 3 supplementation.
- Fish oil pill, which has beneficial effects especially in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorder, cancer, heart diseases, obesity treatment, immune system disorders, eye disorders, and Alzheimer’s, also plays an active role in acne and psoriasis.
- The ratio of EPA and DHA in its content is important in the use of fish oil.
- It is recommended that pregnant and new mothers, adolescence, and growing children should also use fish oil with high DHA content.
- For those with cardiovascular disease, they should use fish oil with low DHA and high EPA content.
- EPA plays an important role in protecting cardiovascular health and DHA fatty acid plays an important role in the development of brain and nervous system functions.
- Fish oil pill is more effective when taken on a full stomach. Fish oil pills should be swallowed as capsules without chewing. The fish oil pill, which should be stored at room temperature, shows maximum performance with regular nutrition and exercise.
- On average, 1000 milligrams of fish oil contains about 300 milligrams of omega 3.
- In order to get the full efficiency of the fish oil capsule, you need to take 2-3 pieces of omega 3 daily, approximately 750-1000 milligrams.
- Pay attention to fish oil supplements as your doctor deems appropriate; Overdose can have undesirable consequences.
Does Fish Oil Pill Gain Weight?
- Omega 3 fatty acids taken into the body can be used as energy immediately by the body.
- Omega 3, which does not turn into storage fat, plays a protective role by participating in the structure of the membranes around the cells.
- Fish oil containing DHA prevents the accumulation of fat in the body.
- So, does fish oil lose weight? Among people, fish oil is known to increase appetite and cause weight gain. But fish oil actually helps with weight loss. Omega 3 fatty acids in their content suppress the appetite and create a feeling of fullness for a long time.
- Fish oil, which increases fat burning due to its antioxidant properties, helps regulate blood sugar and insulin levels. It increases insulin sensitivity and enables the storage of glucose as glycogen in the muscles. Supported by exercise, omega 3 stimulates the work of fat-burning enzymes in the body.
- Especially in the melting of regional fats, exercise, healthy diet programs and fish oil provide more fat burning. Fish oil, which is used to help lose weight, is also recommended by Canan Karatay.
- Since a single product does not have a weight-loss feature, if you are planning to use fish oil pills with a diet program, you should not neglect your exercises