What is Folate? Deficiency and Height, In Which Foods?
Folate folic acid are terms that are often confused with each other. When you approach this subject in detail, there is a very subtle difference between folac and folic acid. In this article, which is prepared for the journey to a healthy life, we will address this difference and seek an answer to the question of what folate means.
The importance of each vitamin for human health is indisputably important. Vitamins are essential for the functioning and strengthening of the immune system.
In this article, where we examine the effect of folate, a type of vitamin, on human health, we have compiled the foods that meet folate for you. We hope that this article will be very useful for you to get to know your body better and have a healthy body. Everything you wonder about folate is in these lines now.
What is Folate?
Folate is a type of vitamin that is among the B group vitamins. Its discovery in human life was in 1940. It is also known as folacin or folic acid. But some experts state that folic acid and folate are separate. Folate stands out as vitamin B9. Its effect and importance in DNA synthesis is very great.
Folate is a Latin word that means leaf. It is also known to be used as an ornamental leaf in some sources. In terms of the meaning it carries, it gives a small tip about itself and states that it is included in green leafy foods. Folate occurs naturally in foods. The difference with folic acid, which is often confused, is; While folic acid is not found naturally in foods, folate is found in foods. It is among the water-soluble vitamins. The body needs a constant supply of folate. Folate is taken in excess because it dissolves in water and is excreted through urine. The lost folate will need to be replenished through diet.
Folate, which has a great effect on the formation of red blood cells, is also effective in the healthy renewal and growth of cells. Folate is important for everyone. It is even more important during pregnancy. For a healthy pregnancy process, the folate value should be in an ideal balance. In case of deficiency or too much, it carries a risk to health. Folate is an important type of vitamin for the development of mother and baby.
What Does Folate Do, What Are Its Functions?
Folate is an important vitamin for people of all ages. Their duties will be better understood when they are listed as follows:
- Folate is primarily helpful in performing DNA and RNA synthesis.
- It supports the formation of red blood cells and increases the blood rate.
- Folate ensures the healthy functioning of the brain and nervous system.
- After birth, folate acts as a vitamin that increases breast milk.
- Folate minimizes the risk of Alzheimer’s in a person.
- Folate, which is also effective in skin health, makes the skin look younger and livelier.
- It is important for a healthy birth to occur. Deficiency may result in premature birth. Adequate folate intake prevents the risk of preterm birth.
- The risk of cancer can be minimized with folate from food.
- In order to prevent heart diseases, folate intake occurs through food.
- As a result of the researches, the probability of having a stroke is directly proportional to the intake of folate. If you include foods containing folate in your meals, you will minimize the chances of stroke.
Folate Deficiency: Symptoms and Treatment
A decrease in the number of red blood cells for various reasons will cause a low level of folate. Folate deficiency is usually caused by diet. If you are experiencing the symptoms of folate deficiency, we will advise you to consult your doctor.
The causes of folate deficiency can be expressed as:
- Malnutrition: If you eat very small amounts of vegetables and fruits, the decrease in blood cells should not come as a surprise to your body. Because too little vegetable consumption can cause folate deficiency in the person. Fruit and grain products should be included in the nutrition program as well as vegetables.
- Genetic factors: Many people may have a genetic deficiency of folate. For this, additional folate supplements and nutrition program can be effective.
- Health problems: If you have diseases that affect the absorption of folate in your body, low folate can occur no matter how healthy you eat. Various cancer cases, celiac disease and serious kidney diseases are factors in this.
- Harmful habits: If you are heavily dependent on alcohol in your life, you may experience a folate deficiency. Because alcohol is a harmful substance that reduces the blood rate and prevents the formation of red blood cells.
- Medications: If you are on medication chronically, folate deficiency may occur.
Symptoms of Folate Deficiency
- Frequent fatigue and tiredness
- constant panting
- pale skin
- Headache and rapid heartbeat
- Loss of appetite, weight loss, prolonged fasting
- depression and malaise
- Weakness in the muscles
- Loss of sense of taste
How Is Folate Deficiency Treated?
The treatment of folate deficiency is primarily done with drugs prescribed by your doctor. These drugs balance the amount of folate that is low in blood values. If there is a folate deficiency detected during pregnancy, your doctor will give you the appropriate medications and recommend adding folate-containing foods to your diet.
Folate deficiency causes premature birth. The medications you usually need to use will be vitamin B12 supplements and iron pills. These drugs are drugs that should be used for an average of 4 months. At the end of the 4-month period, the folate test is performed again and the change in blood rate is observed. The folate test is done with a blood test. It is administered by drawing blood from the arm and blood should be drawn after at least 8 hours of fasting.
High Folate: Symptoms and Treatment
Folate elevation is a rare condition. You shouldn’t worry about this. Because it does not create dangerous situations for the person. It is usually seen in people who consume too much food containing folic acid.
Symptoms of Folate High
- Vitamin B12 deficiency is seen in people who frequently consume folate-containing foods. Because the cells in the body use vitamin B12 to use folic acid. Folic acid cannot be spent in people with low B12 levels, and the amount of folate in the blood is higher.
- The condition called Blind Loop syndrome is the most serious form of folate elevation. It is a name given to the formation of bacteria in the small intestine.
Treatment of High Folate
A person who has high folate levels can first talk to an internist and start drug treatment. If there is a high level of folate caused by nutrition, it can be treated by feeding in a more ideal amount and adding foods containing folate to the nutrition program in a certain amount. This height does not cause serious problems in the person. If bacteria have started to form in the small intestines, you should contact your doctor for drug treatment.
What Foods Contain Folate?
In order to have a healthy body and reach ideal blood values, you should pay attention to your nutrition. It will be a good decision for your health to eat as much of each nutrient as your body needs. If you have a folate deficiency, foods containing folate on the list can be a nutritional guide for you.
- Brussels sprouts
- brown rice
- whole wheat breads
- Rolled oats
- Haricot bean
- Bulgur wheat