Ostrich Egg: Can You Eat Ostrich Eggs?
The ostrich falls into the category of birds whose wings have become smaller and have lost their ability to fly. Ostriches, which originate from Africa, are 2-2.5 meters long and have long legs. The meat and feathers of the ostrich, whose average speed is 90 kilometers per hour, are used. Ostrich meat, which has very tasty meat, stands out with its health benefits as it has low cholesterol.
- Ostrich feathers are obtained by harvesting feathers at certain time intervals.
- The white feather feathers found in male ostriches are used as ornaments in fashion and decoration.
- These first-class ostrich feathers used in the making of stage costumes are very valuable.
- Second quality ostrich feathers, on the other hand, are used in the car industry and in dusting of electronic goods due to their electrostatic properties.
- The ostrich egg, which has a very high nutritional value, is the type of egg that has the largest weight in the world.
Ostrich eggs with an average weight of 1.5-2 kilograms:
- It is sold for ostrich breeding purposes.
In ostrich eggs, which contain high protein:
- Folic acid
- vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- B vitamins
- Calcium is present.
- Excessive consumption of selenium can lead to poisoning.
Can You Eat Ostrich Eggs? How to Cook?
- An ostrich egg, which has an average weight of 1.5-2 kilograms, is a food that a person cannot finish alone.
- In order to preserve the ostrich egg, its shell is pierced and poured into a covered container and stored in the refrigerator. Ostrich eggs, which can keep their freshness in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, can be used in recipes by making a glass calculation.
- Ostrich eggs can be used as an omelet for breakfast. The most important point to note is that the shell of the ostrich egg is broken.
- A saw or a piercing tool is required to break the ostrich egg, which has a very thick and solid shell.
- You can make cakes, cookies, pies and donuts with ostrich eggs and use them in all pastries and desserts.
- Ostrich eggs taste like chicken eggs.
- Pastries prepared using ostrich eggs maintain their freshness for a long time.
- However, since the weight of ostrich eggs is around 150 grams, you should act carefully when measuring.
- Ostrich egg size is about 20 times that of chicken eggs and we can say that it is equivalent to 20-25 chicken eggs.
What are the Benefits of Ostrich Eggs?
- Ostrich eggs are hearty and nutritious. Ostrich eggs are high in protein and are sufficient for vital functions.
- Ostrich eggs, which do not contain cholesterol, have a regulating effect on the cholesterol balance of the body.
- The unsaturated fatty acids in its content have a protective effect on cardiovascular health.
- The shells, which have a very hard and durable structure, are used in the production of storage containers, jewelry and ornaments.
- Ostrich eggs keep insects such as spiders away from the environment and ensure that spiders do not weave webs.
- In addition to protecting the health of the mouth and teeth against tooth decay, it also has the benefits of eliminating bad breath.
- The calcium contained in it is beneficial for bone development and supports the treatment of bone resorption diseases such as osteoporosis.
- Ostrich eggs, which do not contain sodium and salt, are an ideal protein source for blood pressure patients.
- Ostrich egg benefits include cleansing the body in general, thanks to the antioxidants it contains.
What Does an Ostrich Egg Do?
- You can easily make all the dishes in which you use ostrich eggs and chicken eggs, which taste like chicken eggs.
- Ostrich eggs have been used to prevent spiders from making webs by placing them at difficult-to-reach heights for a long time. Also, ostrich eggs are used as pest repellent.
- The hard and durable outer shell of the ostrich egg is used in African-origin societies to make kitchenware such as cups, storage containers, plates and bowls.
- Today, ostrich egg shells are used to make specially designed ornaments and jewelry. These jewelries and ornaments, which have a different stance, are of great interest.
- The skins of ostrich, which are grown for their feathers, which are generally used in the making of decorative items, are also used in the clothing industry.
- The ostrich, which weighs about 150 kilograms, has a huge egg. One of the most interesting features of the ostrich egg is that it removes spiders and pests from the environment if they are decomposed.
- An ostrich egg, which is kept full, deteriorates after a while, emitting an odor that people cannot feel but insects and pests can feel.
- In the Ottoman period, ostrich eggs were used in architecture because of this feature. In many of Mimar Sinan’s works, ostrich eggs were placed on the domes and spiders were prevented from entering these spaces.
How Long Is the Incubation Period of Ostrich Eggs?
- The production of ostrich eggs is between February and September. Female birds, which are more delicate than male ostriches, lay between 20 and 100 eggs per year.
- Female ostriches generally lay 1 egg in 2-3 days during laying periods.
- Ostrich production is provided by natural incubators or incubators.
- Hatching eggs are disinfected and stored at temperatures between 13-18 degrees with 22-25% humidity and can be stored for about 7-14 days.
- The incubation period of an ostrich egg is 42 days, so the ostrich hatches in 42 days.