Licorice Root: Benefits, Uses and Harms
What is Licorice Root? The licorice plant is a leguminous perennial herb. It grows wild in wet places, on the banks of rivers and streams. Its height is between 50-200 cm. The leaves are wing-shaped. It has small, purple flowers. The length of the root under the soil can reach one meter.
It is commonly known as licorice root because its roots are used in medicine or herbal medicine. Its homeland is Southern Europe and its origin goes back to BC. It dates back to the 2000s. It is generally grown in Eastern Anatolia, Southeastern Anatolia and Central Anatolia in our country. It is also called Piyan or Boyan in some places.
Where and How is the Licorice Tree Grown?
Licorice tree likes moist and humous soils. Therefore, it grows in wet and temperate regions. Since it likes the sunny environment, it grows naturally in the regions where the Mediterranean climate is valid. It can also be grown along streams in Aegean, Southeastern Anatolia and Central Anatolia regions.
It is effortless as it is a perennial plant. Since its roots grow horizontally, it is recommended to plant it at intervals. It is propagated from the seeds formed in the capsule. Licorice root honey is obtained from three-year-old roots .
Licorice cultivation has started to become a profitable agricultural field, especially in recent years, to meet the demands from abroad.
What Are the Benefits of Licorice Root?
Licorice root is one of the medicinal plants with many benefits. It has benefits that can help treat many problems such as stomach ailments, heart and blood pressure problems, infections, liver disorders, hair and skin problems, obesity.
- Licorice root has a relaxing effect by relieving symptoms in stomach and intestinal disorders such as gastritis, ulcers, constipation and diarrhea. Licorice root is also helpful for reflux problem. Licorice root paste is a practical and effective preparation for stomach ailments.
- Licorice root, which can also be used for respiratory diseases, contributes to the improvement of cold and flu symptoms such as cough, phlegm, sore throat, shortness of breath, bronchitis. Licorice syrup, licorice tablet or licorice root and ginger tea can be consumed for this purpose.
- Licorice root benefits include its positive effects on liver inflammation and fatty liver. It is diuretic; It prevents toxins, strengthens immunity and reduces the risk of diseases of internal organs such as liver and spleen.
- Licorice root water, with its refreshing and relaxing effects, also has an antidepressant feature. It prevents irritability and chronic fatigue.
- Licorice root also has constructive content on hair and skin health. It makes skin and hair look brighter. With regular use, it is beneficial in cleaning dark spots, excess oil and dead cells on the skin. It is effective in making the skin and hair more moist and flexible. It also has healing power in skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis. You can apply the preparation that you prepared with the licorice root boiling method to your hair and skin by massaging after waiting for it to cool. Apart from this, licorice soap, licorice root cream, licorice root mask are ready-made products that you can use.
- Since licorice drink is a healthy and natural sugar-containing product, it can be preferred by diabetics or dieters to meet their sweet needs; however, care should be taken to consume in small quantities. Despite being sugary, it is low in calories. The answer to the question of how many calories in licorice sherbet is that there are about 40 calories in 1 stick, that is, it depends on the amount of stick you use while making licorice tea.
- Licorice root powder can be beneficial for women in sexuality. For this, licorice root is consumed by mixing it with soda.
- Is licorice root harmful in pregnancy, no it is not. As long as it is not used in large amounts, it is not harmful. It can be consumed up to two glasses a day.
- Licorice root is a plant that has been studied by İbrahim Saracoğlu and many benefits have been identified.
What Are the Harms of Licorice Root?
It should not be forgotten that licorice root and all licorice root preparations are helpful in curing diseases. It is important for those with heart, blood pressure, kidney, and diabetes disorders to consult their doctor before using licorice root. The harms of licorice sherbet can be listed as follows:
- Is licorice good for sugar? After all, it is a sugar-containing plant and can be harmful in problems such as diabetes and obesity.
- The answer of experts to the question of whether licorice root is good for blood pressure is that it can be harmful in case of high blood pressure, as it can cause sodium and potassium deficiency.
- It is said that licorice root can be harmful by reducing the testosterone ratio in sexual problems.
- Those who use heart, blood thinner and blood pressure medications should not use licorice root. Licorice root side effects can negatively affect the patient due to the ingredients of these drugs.
How to Use Licorice Root? Where to use?
Licorice root is known and used mostly in the form of licorice sherbet in our country. For this, you can prepare licorice root, which you can find crushed in herbalists, at home by soaking it in water and straining it.
Apart from that, licorice root is also the main ingredient of the coca cola drink. Licorice is a plant loved by mice, so there is no need to rely on rumors such as licorice root should not be consumed. After all, all plants grow in the soil, and besides mice, many animal species live in the soil.
When used for weight loss and treatment, licorice root cure can be applied or licorice root extract can be used. If licorice root is desired to be used for weight loss , licorice root tea can be consumed regularly ; however, diet should be done and plenty of water should be drunk.
Honey is obtained from licorice root and licorice molasses is produced. Licorice root oil can be used externally as a steam bath, massage oil, bath oil. It can be drunk for therapeutic purposes by dripping into water. Licorice root extract is used in the pharmaceutical industry and cosmetics.
Does Licorice Root Weakness?
While licorice root is used for weight loss, licorice root juice is prepared regularly and in moderation and consumed without exceeding the daily drinkable amount. The amount of 1 cup per day should not be exceeded. As it creates a feeling of fullness, it allows you to eat less food.
You can also prevent sweet cravings by chewing a licorice stick . You can also use it to relieve edema with its diuretic effect. However, licorice root alone is not a debilitating element. It helps to keep full and satisfy the need for sweets while dieting.
How to Brew Licorice Root Tea?
- Put a crushed ball of licorice root in the jug and add enough water to cover it and let it sit for 2 hours. Then strain the syrup into another jug. Be careful not to leave any residue at the bottom. In this way, remove the bitterness by changing the pitcher several times and straining it. You can consume after cooling.
- Another way of preparing tea is the boiling method. Add 3 spoons of licorice root to 3 glasses of water and boil it. Continue boiling for 10 minutes after it starts to boil. You can consume after cooling.