How to Store Fruits, Vegetables for a Long Time?
Correct Storage Methods for Fruits and Vegetables! When you enter the kitchen after returning from the market, the vegetables and fruits you buy need to be stored well in order to be consumed for a long time. Not all vegetables and fruits are kept under the same conditions. In order to preserve their freshness, greens, root vegetables and fruits can be stored in the refrigerator or on the shelves in different ways. In this article that will help you in this regard, we will answer the question of how to preserve the vegetables and fruits in your mind.
You can prevent rot when ethylene gas, which causes rotting of vegetables and fruits, is prevented as much as possible. It is necessary to evaluate the freshness of foods before they are lost. For this reason, it is recommended to keep vegetables and fruits fresh separately.
One of the ways to obtain vegetables and fruits that preserve the freshness of the first day without rotting or smelling is to have information about the storage methods of vegetables and fruits. If you want to preserve the foods in the longest time without creating odor in the refrigerator; This article contains the information you are looking for. Don’t forget to review!
How to Store Fruits, Vegetables for a Long Time?
1) Vegetables That Should Stay at Room Temperature
- When answering the question of how to store vegetables, we should remind you that some of them should not go into the refrigerator.
- The most commonly consumed vegetables, such as cucumbers and bell peppers, like room temperature.
- Since the coldness in the refrigerator will spoil the structure of such vegetables, the consumption life will be very short.
- When you buy green peppers, cucumbers, and bell peppers, you can store them in a cool place protected from sunlight and at room temperature.
2) Chopped Vegetables
- For those who ask how to store sliced and chopped vegetables, we recommend a slightly watery container.
- You need to add some water to the storage container in which the chopped vegetables are not in contact with oxygen.
- Take care to consume the chopped vegetables waiting in a juicy container within 3 days.
- If you bought asparagus and you want to consume it later, you can turn this food into a flower bouquet and store it in the refrigerator.
- Asparagus, which is located separately from each other, can begin to rot in a short time.
- You can maintain your vitality with water in a large glass.
4) Onions and Potatoes
- When it comes to vegetable storage methods, many people say that they store onions and potatoes in the same place. However, this method is not correct.
- Onions and potatoes should not be kept in separate places so that they do not moisten each other.
- In order to prevent the potatoes from sprouting and starting to rot, contact with the onion should be cut off.
- These two vegetables should be kept in an airy environment and away from water.
- It is necessary to touch on the issue of how to store fruits. In particular, it is very important to preserve the banana without rotting.
- Bananas are usually refrigerated, but bananas are one of those tropical fruits that need to be kept at room temperature.
- If you bought a ripe banana; You can wrap the stems with cling film and protect them at room temperature.
- If you bought an unripe banana and you want it to ripen in a short time; You can add 1 apple next to it and keep it in a basket in the room.
- If you want to eat a banana out of season; You can store it by adding sliced bananas to deep freezer bags. In this way, you can prepare smoothies and purees for babies.
6) Dark-Loving Vegetables
- Some vegetables can maintain their vitality without seeing sunlight.
- Onions and garlic are one of the foods that should be stored away from the sun.
- You can store onions and garlic in a perforated basket in an environment away from moisture.
- If peeling garlic makes you tired; You can peel all the garlic at once and store it in a deep freezer bag. You can take it out of the freezer and add it to meals.
- One of the vegetables that rot in the refrigerator in the shortest time is tomatoes. Tomatoes begin to rot from the stems.
- If you want to consume tomatoes in a long time; you should place them on the refrigerator shelf with the handles facing up.
- Avocado, a fruit with vitamin C and antioxidants, is sometimes sold raw. If you have purchased raw avocados, you can easily ripen and store them at home.
- For those who think about how to store raw fruits in the refrigerator, it is recommended to store raw fruits such as avocados after ripening.
- Since the avocado will ripen very late in the refrigerator, you can keep it for a while at room temperature, side by side with the apple.
- You can cover the cut avocado with cling film and store it in the fridge for later consumption.
9) Cauliflower and Broccoli
- One of the useful vegetables recommended to be consumed frequently in winter is cauliflower and broccoli.
- Since these two vegetables love a humid environment, you can keep them by covering them with a wet small towel.
- If you want to consume broccoli out of season; You can place it in a storage container and store it in the freezer.
- Celery, which is recommended to be consumed to protect the health of the kidneys and intestines, can be stored in the refrigerator for a long time.
- In order not to lose its nutritional value, it should be stored in foil instead of plastic containers.
- You can wrap the cut or uncut celery with foil and keep it in the refrigerator for consumption.
- Strawberry, which has a very delicate structure, should settle in the refrigerator without washing.
- The amount to be consumed should be washed off.
- If you put the strawberries in a single layer on a paper towel in the refrigerator, the moisture balance will be preserved and their rotting will be prevented.
- Apple is a strong fruit that preserves its structure in any environment. It is usually stored on the fruit shelf in the refrigerator.
- It is not recommended to keep it in very cold weather. If it is under a harsh cold; The antioxidant minerals contained in the shell are lost.
You can find food storage and winter preparation recipes from the Freezers category!
13) Fruits with Seeds
- It is recommended to consume soft-textured stone fruits such as plum, cherry, cherry and peach in a short time.
- If it will be consumed after a few days, it is appropriate to store it in the refrigerator on a towel.
- You can take such fruits, whose structure has softened, into a deep freezer bag and then use them for dessert and juice preparation.
- The greens, which begin to deteriorate in a short time, show the feature of rotting when left watery and moist.
- Greens with delicate leaves such as lettuce, parsley, mint and spinach should be kept dry in the refrigerator.
- If you want to use the greens you washed to prepare the salad later; You can wrap it in a small towel and put it in the closet.
- You can store the greens you buy in bunches in a jar filled with water, as if you were storing flowers in a vase.
- If you wish, you can place the greens in a single layer between the towel papers in a large storage container.
- In order to prevent the fungus from spoiling, it is recommended to keep it in a paper bag in the cupboard.
- You should preserve its freshness as the rotten fungus will affect your stomach.
- You can check its freshness by wrapping it in a paper bag or towel.
The Most Common Mistakes When Storing Vegetables and Fruits
After returning from shopping, you need to know some important information in order to keep the purchased vegetables and fruits at home for a longer time. If you store vegetables and fruits in the wrong way, you can see that most of them rot within a few days. Here are the wrong methods that cause vegetables and fruits to rot in a short time:
- It is recommended to dry very well root vegetables, greens and stem vegetables after washing.
- Vegetables and fruits that remain juicy and stored in the refrigerator begin to mold due to excess moisture.
- Soft vegetables and fruits loosen roots and stems with the effect of weight when stacked on top of each other. This causes premature rot.
- You can get help from refrigerator bags to store vegetables and fruits very well in the refrigerator.
- Not using a separate storage container for each vegetable and fruit causes different odors to spread into the cabinet. You can store each of them in separate containers to prevent bad odor formation.
- Vegetable and fruit shelves allow food to breathe. Not using these shelves invites rot.
- It is important to remember that vegetables and fruits breathe. For this reason, it is not the right method to use sealed storage containers or bags.
- Perforated bags, nets and special compartmented storage containers that allow vegetables and fruits to breathe will help you in this regard.
- It is recommended to store carrots with their green stems, and to cut the stems as they will absorb moisture. In this way, you both prevent moisture absorption and can be stored more comfortably in the refrigerator.