How To Cook Tomatoes? For soup or skinning!
Many dishes and salads can be made with tomatoes. In addition, you can prepare tomatoes in several ways, for example stir-frying, stir-frying in the oven for an oven dish. But how can you cook tomatoes?
How To Cook Tomatoes?
Cooking tomatoes for blanching takes 30 seconds. Cooking for soup takes longer, namely 15 minutes. For skinning, cooking takes about 30-40 seconds, or first cut across in the bottom.
Cooking tomatoes is done for several reasons, one of which is blanching.
Blanching tomatoes will last longer, because the bacteria are killed. Blanching is briefly cooking the product, in this case tomatoes, and then cooling it quickly in ice water or under the cold tap. Short cooking is 30 seconds for the tomatoes.
Cooking Tomatoes For Soup
You can use fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes for making tomato soup. Tomatoes from token can go straight into the pan, you don’t have to do anything with it.
Fresh tomatoes are a different story. The skin of the tomato is (almost) never cooked. If you want to skin them first, read the chapter below. It explains step by step what you can do to skin the tomatoes.
Then cut the tomatoes in half and then into quarters. Now you can choose to leave or remove the seeds and moisture. What I advise you to do is remove the hard core of the tomato.
To clean tomatoes or not?
What you do with the tomatoes strongly depends on which soup you make. For example, if it is tomato soup, you can choose to cut the skinned tomatoes into quarters and cook them. Then the soup is pureed and so you have all the nutrients in the soup.
For example, if it is a vegetable soup, remove the seeds and the heart. Then cut the tomatoes into pieces. This way you get nice clean tomatoes in your vegetable soup.
Cooking Tomatoes Before Skinning
If you want to skin the tomatoes, it is best to cook the tomatoes briefly, or in other words blanch them. What are you going to do in the kitchen?
- Cut the crown from the tomato.
- Cut a cross at the bottom of the tomato with a sharp knife.
- Place a pan of water on the heat source and bring it to a boil. At the same time, prepare a pan with ice water or place the colander under the cold tap.
- Place the tomatoes one at a time in the pan of boiling water with a ladle or slotted spoon and let the tomato cook for 30-40 seconds.
- Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water with the slotted spoon and immediately place them in the ice water or rinse them under the tap.
- The skin will now come off the tomatoes and can be easily removed.