How Many Calories in Carob? Nutritional Value of Carob
In the local dialect “Carob” called carob, we often see in dried form in health food stores, but many people have not tried it one of the valuable plant. The plant, which we know with its bright brown color, horn-like shape, hard and fleshy structure, is remembered with its rich nutritional value.
The food, which is engraved in the minds of many people only with its benefits, becomes a source of healing for many problems from colds to anemia. The plant, which enters the kitchens to be consumed in different ways such as molasses or coffee, especially during the winter months, is a food that those who want to lose weight carefully avoid because it contains a high amount of energy.
How Many Calories in Carob?
Carob, which can be found in many different forms in herbalists, does not have a very high caloric value, contrary to what is thought. Carob, which varies in size according to its gram, also varies in terms of calories. Since it is usually consumed with grains, one wonders how many calories are in 1 carob.
- 1, 6 grams of small size carob is approximately 14 calories. Carob, which is thought to be high in calories with its energy-giving structure, has reasonable calorie values.
- 25 grams of natural carob contains approximately 57 calories.
- The plant, which contains approximately 222 calories per 100 grams, is recommended to be eaten in between meals.
How Many Calories in Carob Molasses?
Carob molasses, which is made from the carob plant, is one of the natural types of molasses that contains sugar like grape molasses. It is prepared by adding granulated sugar and water at the rate of carob to its content, and the plant is very rich in nutritional value compared to other types of molasses. With its high nutritional value, it is usually consumed with a spoon before breakfast or after dinner.
- There are 22 calories in 1 teaspoon of 8 grams of molasses, which is eaten as a source of healing.
- There are 41 calories in 1 tablespoon of carob molasses of 15 grams.
- For those who want to consume it on a plate, not a spoon, 100 grams of molasses contains 270 calories.
Whether carob molasses is eaten with a spoon or for breakfast, it should be considered that it gives a high amount of energy and has high nutritional values.
How Many Calories in Carob Flour?
Carob flour, which is obtained by grinding dried carob seeds with natural methods, allows the plant to be used in different ways. Flour, which offers versatile uses from pastries to coffee making, is also called carob powder and is added to meals as an alternative to white granulated sugar in the past and today with its sugary taste reminiscent of cocoa. Carob flour is one of the foods with high nutritional value.
- A 10-gram tablespoon contains approximately 22 calories.
- Since it has a slightly sugary taste, there are 220-230 calories in 100 grams of the preferred food.
Carob Nutrition Facts
- Carob, which comes to the fore as an energy source with its high nutritional values, is very rich in minerals and vitamins.
- It contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B2, vitamin B6 and vitamin E, especially vitamin K.
- The food, which contains about 10 milligrams of vitamin A per 100 grams, is considered an important source for eye health.
- In terms of minerals, it is one of the richest foods containing protein, potassium, calcium and iron minerals.
- As an important source of iron, it cures anemia on its own and helps to regulate blood pressure with its potassium content.
- Since it contains three times as much calcium as milk, it is recommended to be fed to children in developmental age. It is also an important source of sodium and contains high levels of carbohydrates.
- It contains high energy as it contains 56.29 grams of carbohydrates in only 100 grams.
- The food, which is a good source of magnesium, meets 15% of the daily magnesium need with 100 grams. Carob, which does not contain cholesterol, is a rich source of fiber. The product, which contains 40 grams of dietary fiber in 100 grams, works the digestive system because it is rich in fiber.
- It also contains zinc and phosphorus and is rich in active ingredients such as alpha aminopimelic acid, gallic acid, beta D glucolgallin.
How to Eat Carob?
- The plant we are used to seeing as dried carob in herbalists; It is also sold as carob flour, carob cure, carob coffee and carob molasses.
- Dried carob can be eaten plain; but if the carob you bought is very hard, it is necessary to let it soften by keeping it in warm water for a while.
- The softened carob can be consumed by chewing. It is also possible to consume dried carob as tea. It is brewed like tea with its unique cooking methods and drunk while hot.
- The food, which is difficult to consume in its natural hard state, can be eaten by curing. When curing, it can be preferred in its natural state or carob flour can be preferred.
- The food, whose seeds are ground into flour, is eaten by making different cures with milk or honey. If carob flour is to be consumed plain, it is sufficient to mix it with water and eat it.
- Carob coffee is made by grinding carob seeds, which are also available in ready-made cures in herbalists, and coffee can be cooked in a coffee pot just like Turkish coffee. If desired, it can also be added to regular coffee as a flavoring agent.
- Carob molasses prepared by boiling, on the other hand, is eaten in the form of a spoon before breakfast or after dinner on an empty stomach, as it is a food consumed for healing purposes.
- If it is not desired to be consumed alone, it can be consumed by mixing it with yogurt or it can be consumed by making sherbet with water. It can also be eaten with tahini like grape molasses to add a different flavor to the breakfast tables.
The use of carob flour in the kitchen is wider:
- It can be added to any recipe that uses sugar and cocoa, as it slightly resembles cocoa with its natural sweet taste.
- Because it has a sweet taste, it can be used to flavor drinks or added to drinks instead of sugar from the east.
- In the same way, carob flour can be used in kitchens by adding it to cookies or various pastries such as chocolate.
- When it is added to pastries, it can be used not only with its powder, but also in its free form.
Does Carob Make You Weak?
- Carob, which is avoided by those who want to lose weight with its high nutritional values, is a food that keeps you full for a long time.
- When consumed in its natural state, it helps to suppress one’s hunger as it is a difficult food to chew.
- The food that does not make you gain weight when consumed in the right amount should not be eaten more than 2 or 3 pieces a day by people who want to lose weight with the advice of dietitians.
- It is recommended to be preferred as a healthy snack instead of snacks such as chocolate or cake, especially when you want to eat dessert in the middle of the day.
- Natural carob eaten on an empty stomach between meals helps to stay full for a long time. Thus, it allows you to lose weight more easily while dieting.
- Contrary to what is known, it is not possible to lose weight by eating carob alone. The food that supports weight loss when consumed in the right amount while dieting can also be drunk by preparing tea by dieters.
- When consumed as tea, it has a positive effect on the digestive system and is beneficial for digestion as it contains a high amount of fiber.
- Carob molasses is one of the foods that dieters should avoid. Since it contains granulated sugar in equal proportions with carob, it does not help to lose weight.
- Those who do not diet and pay attention to their weight and want to maintain their ideal weight can eat carob flour by adding it to yogurt.
- The food, which suppresses the desire to eat sweets with yogurt, helps to overcome sweet crises in a healthy way.
- Carob powder, which contains fewer calories than sugar, can be added to recipes instead of granulated sugar in the diet.