How to Make Guacamole? 5 variants!
What’s better than tortillas with homemade guacamole? And the nice thing is that guacamole is made like this. It only takes a few ingredients and you don’t have to pull out any “states” to make it. In this blog, we will tell you how to make guacamole.
The basic ingredients are avocado, onion, tomato, lime juice, red pepper, and salt. Optional cilantro. Squeeze the lemon into the bowl. Cut the ingredients into pieces and place them in a bowl. Mash everything together with a fork. Season with salt.
There is a basic guacamole recipe that you can vary endlessly with, and we are going to do that. Several recipes are discussed below. I would say: make your choice and get started.
Avocado is, of course, the main ingredient of guacamole. We have written a separate blog about avocados’ How to store avocados? ‘ Check out this blog if you want to know how to properly store avocados.
There are many recipes for guacamole, but there is only one basic recipe for guacamole. With these basic ingredients, you can make any guacamole you want. The basic ingredients are:
- (Red pepper
- Lime juice
- Coriander, optional
These ingredients are used to make guacamole. By adding other ingredients you get your homemade guacamole.
Coriander has a distinct taste. One likes it and the other doesn’t. Choose and create your own recipe.
An ingredient that we often add to this basic recipe in Dutch cuisine is garlic. However, it is not necessary, but yes, the Dutch love garlic and we use it in almost everything, including guacamole.
Making Guacamole Simple
Making guacamole is simple and easy to do. You can use a blender or food processor, but this is not really necessary. You can simply mix it with a fork. When you use a blender, the guacamole becomes a very soft mass without you still seeing the ingredients.
What are the quantities you need?
- 1 small onion
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tomato
- 1 lime
- 2 sprigs of fresh coriander
- 1 red pepper
- pinch of salt
How’s it going?
- Cut open the avocados and remove the pit. Remove the flesh from the skin and place the avocados in a large bowl.
- Chop the small onion as finely as possible and put it in the bowl. Also, add a pinch of salt.
- Chop the pepper as finely as possible and set half of it aside. Put the other half in the bowl.
- Cut the tomato into cubes and put it in the bowl.
- Finely chop the coriander. Take the part of the coriander with leaves and stems attached. Also, put this in the bowl. Do not use the lower parts of the twigs, which do not have petioles.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze one half of the lime into the bowl.
- Grab a fork and mash everything together. Make sure everything is well mixed.
You have now made guacamole. Grab a fork and taste your homemade guacamole. Is it flavored? Should there be more red pepper? Do you want to add salt? Now is the time to season it. If it already tastes good, then you’re done, otherwise, you can add other ingredients now.
Cooking is also trying and experimenting. How do you like garlic? Then add garlic. Is tomato not your favorite? Then leave it out. Try out what works well for you. You can do this with all the recipes described here.
There is a lot to vary with guacamole. To help you on your way, several recipes with other ingredients have been discussed below. Cooking is also figuring out and experimenting; you can do that yourself. View the options below and adjust the ingredients to your own taste. Good luck!
Making Guacamole with Creme Fraiche
If you want it to taste a bit softer and creamier, you can do this with creme fraiche. Since we only use vegetable products, we replace the creme fraiche with Oatly oat cuisine fraiche. This is available in several supermarkets.
The ingredients and quantities you need are:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ shallot or onion
- ½ red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Oatly oat cuisine fraiche
- pepper and salt
To prepare, we go through the following steps:
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit and the flesh from the skin, and place in a large bowl.
- Cut the onion into small cubes and put it in the bowl.
- Crush the garlic clove and put it in the bowl as well.
- Cut half the pepper and add it to the avocados.
- add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Grab a fork and mix everything together well. If you want very smooth guacamole, use the immersion blender.
- Then add Oatly oat cuisine Fraiche and mix everything again.
The base of the guacamole is ready. Now season to taste by adding chili powder and additional salt and pepper if needed. Keep tasting until your guacamole is flavored.
Making Guacamole with Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise is also sometimes used to make it creamier. It is not authentic guacamole but very tasty. So this recipe is real Dutch guacamole.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ½ lime or lemon
- 1 tomato
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (Remia Mayolijn or Jean Baton are vegetables)
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- pepper and salt
The preparation is again easy to do.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and place the flesh in a bowl.
- Cut the tomato and shallot into small pieces, squeeze the garlic, and put this in the bowl as well.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise.
- Now miss everything with a fork. If you want very smooth guacamole, use the immersion blender.
Now season your homemade guacamole with salt and pepper. Taste to see if it tastes good, if not, add more salt and pepper. Enjoy your meal!
Making Guacamole Diet
Guacamole fits almost any diet. The homemade Guacamole contains only natural and plant-based ingredients. When you prepare it yourself, you can be sure that there are no colorings and flavorings in it. One last recipe to end this blog.
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
- 3 ripe avocados, pitted and skin removed
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- a handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
You prepare it as follows:
- Put all the sliced products in a bowl and squeeze the lime into the bowl.
- Use half the coriander and half the red pepper.
- Grab a fork and mix everything together well.
- Add salt and ground pepper and mix again.
You have now made your guacamole. Taste it and season it. Add more coriander or red pepper if necessary and taste again. If you like it, you can serve it. Add red pepper and coriander for decoration.
How to Make and Store Guacamole
Fresh guacamole is without preservatives and therefore has a limited shelf life. The guacamole is prone to spoilage from the avocado. If you have leftovers, you can store them in a sealed container in the fridge for 2 days. When you want to start using it again, the advice is; Look, smell and taste if it is still good.
So, now you know more about how to make guacamole.