How Long To Cook Broccoli?
Broccoli is a versatile vegetable that can be used for many dishes. The preparation method often differs. From woks and stir-frying to steaming and stewing. However, we are talking about cooking broccoli in this blog. But how long should broccoli cook?
How long to cook broccoli?
|1||cook al dente||5-7 minutes|
|2||by cooked for baby||8-10 minutes|
|3||cooking before blanching||2-3 minutes|
|4||cooking for further preparation||3-4 minutes|
The above cooking methods will all be discussed in this blog. Of course there are other ways to cook broccoli, which are described in our blog ‘ 8 Ways To Cook Broccoli ‘.
You can also prepare broccoli in other ways than just cooking. These ways are described in our blog ‘ How to Prepare Broccoli? ‘.
How Long To Cook Broccoli?
Cooking broccoli until al dente is cooking broccoli long enough so that it still has a nice ‘bite’. The color of the broccoli remains green and the structure and texture remain firm. This prevents the broccoli from falling apart on your plate.
First we need to cut the broccoli.
Cutting broccoli is necessary to ensure that all pieces are the same size, so that the cooking time is also the same for the broccoli pieces.
During your work in the kitchen, good and sharp knives are essential. This makes work fun and easy.
Now that we’ve done this, we can start cooking broccoli. Before you do that, rinse the broccoli under the tap and with your colander. Rinse dirt and sand off the broccoli.
How long to cook Broccoli al dente
To cook broccoli so that it is al dente, we need to go through the following steps:
- Place a pan with plenty of water and a pinch of salt on the heat source and bring the water to a boil.
- When the water boils, the broccoli can be placed in the pan. Do this with a slotted spoon to avoid splashing.
- Bring the water to a boil again and cook the broccoli al dente for 5-7 minutes.
- You can check whether the broccoli is al dente by pricking it with a fork. If the fork goes in easily, the broccoli is done.
- Is the broccoli undercooked? Then let it cook for an extra minute, until the fork and goes in easily.
- Drain the broccoli in the colander and it is ready to eat.
The broccoli now has a nice green color and the florets still have structure, they do not fall apart.
Now the broccoli can be served. However, you can also season the broccoli. How to do this and with which herbs you can read in our blog ‘ Which Herbs For Broccoli? ‘.
How Long To Cook Broccoli For Baby?
Broccoli has to be cooked differently for a baby snack. It should be softer and the structure of the broccoli should be looser. The broccoli is mashed after cooking. But how long to cook broccoli for baby? For this, the following steps must be followed:
- First we have to cut and wash the broccoli. This is explained in the video above. Cut the broccoli into small florets/pieces so that they are cooked earlier.
- Place the pan on the heat source and fill it with water and possibly a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil.
- When the water boils, the broccoli can go into the water. Be careful with this and use a slotted spoon.
- Bring the water to a boil again.
- How long we cook broccoli depends on the size of the broccoli florets. A time of 8 – 10 minutes is usually sufficient.
- Then drain the broccoli in the colander.
The broccoli has now changed color and has darkened. The structure is also different, because the broccoli falls apart, as it were. This is great for making a baby snack.
Take 2/3 part broccoli and 1/3 potato and puree it in your mixer. Add a little vegetable butter for smoothness. Does your baby suffer from the taste? Then take a little less broccoli and a little more potatoes.
Blanch Broccoli How Long?
Blanching the Broccoli is another way of cooking broccoli. We blanch broccoli when we want to freeze the broccoli. When we blanch broccoli how long should we cook the broccoli?
Blanching is a method of heating vegetables, in this case broccoli, for a short time and then quickly cooling them again. Short heating kills any bacteria. When we cool the broccoli afterwards, we stop the cooking process. Which steps must be followed to blanch broccoli and for how long?
- Before blanching broccoli, the broccoli must first be cut. This is explained in the video above.
- Then we put a pan with water on the heat source and make sure that the water starts to boil.
- Immediately prepare a pan with cold water, supplemented with ice cubes. If you don’t have ice cubes, put your colander in the sink under the cold tap.
- When the water boils, the broccoli goes into the pan. Be careful and do this with a slotted spoon.
- Now bring the water back to a boil. Broccoli takes 2 -3 minutes to cook.
- Then drain the broccoli and place it in the pan with ice water or rinse the broccoli under running water with your colander.
The broccoli is now ready. Then pat it dry and put the broccoli in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer. The broccoli can now be stored for at least 12 months.
How Long To Cook Broccoli For Woks?
The next question, how long to cook broccoli for stir-frying can also be asked for stir-frying or cooking broccoli in the oven. It is basically a method of preparing broccoli for further cooking in another dish or using a different cooking technique.
For this, the following steps must be followed:
- The broccoli is first cut as explained in the video above.
- A pan of water is placed on the heat source and the water is brought to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, we put the broccoli in the pan with a slotted spoon and bring the water back to the boil.
- We now cook the broccoli for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli in the colander and use the broccoli in your other dish.