Are Energy Drinks Harmful to Health?
Energy drinks have become very popular lately. Energy drinks, which have a stimulating effect, promise to regain the amount of energy lost in tiring days. For this reason, it is often consumed among young people. When energy drinks became so popular, questions arose about whether energy drinks were harmful or beneficial.
An energy drink is a cold drink obtained by combining caffeine, sugar and other stimulants to increase physical and mental energy. Energy drinks, which have become more famous in recent days, are preferred to increase performance in work, school or sports life.
So, is there alcohol in the energy drink, and are energy drinks with high caffeine content harmful to health? Who should not consume these drinks? Here are the answers to all your questions about energy drinks…
What is an Energy Drink?
- An energy drink is a type of high-caffeine beverage. It is preferred because of its physical and mental stimulating effect.
- As the name suggests, energy-giving energy drinks are available in carbonated and non-carbonated options. These drinks contain amino acids, sweeteners, plant extract, and sugar.
- Drinks containing natural caffeine, such as tea or coffee, are not considered energy drinks. Cola and similar beverages are also not included in this group because they contain less caffeine. Energy drinks are also mixed with sports drinks. However, it is not recommended to consume these drinks after sports.
- Energy drinks contain glucuronolactone, ginseng, taurine, inositol and caffeine. These ingredients act on the nervous system and further accelerate the communication between the brain and organs. In this way, the person becomes more energetic in a certain period of time.
- Energy drinks have their main stimulant effects with caffeine and sugar in their content. Some brands prefer guarana and ginseng, a type of plant containing caffeine. Caffeine increases the release of dopamine in the body and makes the person feel more energetic for a while.
- Energy drinks temporarily increase learning performance. For this reason, it is often consumed among young people. People who want to be more energetic while studying and who need to work long hours often prefer energy drinks.
- The question of whether energy drinks make you gain weight is one of the most asked questions about energy drinks. Yes, energy drinks make you gain weight with regular use. Because these drinks contain a high amount of sugar. Therefore, if you are trying to lose weight, you should stay away from energy drinks.
- Even the sale of energy drinks, which can cause various ailments and even death, is prohibited in some countries. For this reason, energy drinks should not be consumed much during the day.
Are Energy Drinks Harmful to Health?
- Are there any side effects of energy drinks? This question has been asked more and more lately. The World Health Organization (WHO) stated that energy drinks negatively affect health. He explained that excessive drinking of energy drinks causes various problems, especially caffeine poisoning.
- Professor from Memorial Şişli Hospital Neurology Department. Dr Türker Şahiner: “These drinks, where caffeine and B vitamins come to the fore, awaken sleep and the person feels more dynamic. Caffeine increases the number of attention-related receptors in the brain. But after a while, as those receptors become hungry, there is more severe insomnia and fatigue!” says.
- Near East University Hospital Cardiology Department Head Prof. Dr. Hamza Duygu pointed out that energy drinks can cause heart problems. Duygu stated that energy drinks, especially when taken with alcohol, can cause loss of consciousness, heart attack, rhythm disorders, sudden death and hypertension, and those with a family history of heart disease should especially stay away from energy drinks.
- Since it is a cold drink, energy drinks consumed 3-4 cans a day disrupt the balance of the body. Excessive consumption of energy drinks leads to caffeine intoxication. In addition, it has an addictive effect due to the caffeine it contains. Just as the excess of everything is harmful, the excess of the energy drink can upset the balance of our body due to the addiction it will create.
- Energy drink is a cold drink, so it is very easy to consume quickly. When energy drinks are consumed 3-4 or more times a day, they disrupt the balance of the body. Energy drinks have an addictive effect due to the caffeine they contain.
- Energy drinks are not sports drinks. For this reason, energy drinks should not be consumed after intense and heavy exercises. In addition, excessive consumption of energy drinks causes the body to lose water due to the sugar in it.
- In addition, the substances in energy drinks mix quickly into the blood. Therefore, especially heart patients and pregnant women should not consume these drinks. In addition, active athletes, children, caffeine sensitive and dieters should avoid energy drinks.
- Energy drinks should not be consumed with alcohol. This can cause alcohol poisoning or a sudden heart attack.
Energy Drinks Ingredients List
The question of what is in energy drinks is also very common. People who are undecided about whether to consume energy drinks are wondering about the content of these drinks.
Although the list of energy drink ingredients varies from brand to brand, generally energy drink ingredients are as follows:
- Carbon dioxide
- Sugar (Glucose) Fructose Syrup
- Vitamins B6, B2 and B12
- Folic acid
- Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid and Sodium Citrate)
- Yerba mate
Benefits of Energy Drinks
There is not enough research on energy drinks. For this reason, nothing definite can be said about the benefits or harms of energy drinks. Energy drinks benefits include:
1) Increases Mental Performance
- Energy drinks increase mental alertness
- It improves concentration, memory and reaction time.
- It reduces mental fatigue.
2) Good for Fatigue
- If you’re wondering if an energy drink can induce sleep, the answer is yes. Energy drinks induce sleep.
- Energy drinks give energy to people who suffer from insomnia and who are tired.
- Especially those who will work long hours consume energy drinks to stay awake and fit.
- Also, drivers who go on a long and late journey consume energy drinks to stay awake along the way.
3) Other Benefits of Energy Drinks
- Facilitates the elimination of toxins from the body,
- Increases physical endurance
- It stimulates the metabolism,
- It speeds up the person’s reaction.
How Many Calories in Energy Drinks?
Energy drinks are beverages that are high in caffeine and sugar. These drinks have high calorie values. For this reason, dieters and those who want to lose weight should stay away from energy drinks.
Energy drinks calories:
- 1 can of energy drink 134 kcal and
- 1 glass of energy drink is 108 kcal.
- The calorie distribution of the energy drink is as follows:
- Carbs (96%)
- Protein (2%)
- Fat (2%)
Are Energy Drinks Haram?
- Drinks that are haram according to Islam are those that remove the ability of reason and reasoning.
- Energy drinks do not have such an effect.
- Therefore, it is not haram to consume energy drinks; but in some sources it is said that these drinks are permissible .
- Because, according to Islam, it is necessary to avoid any substance that harms human health.