Most Used Herbs And Spices – 30 Varieties!
There are many herbs and spices in the Netherlands that we use in the kitchen. But what are herbs and what are spices? According to the Nutrition Center, herbs grow in countries with a temperate climate and spices grow in countries with a (sub)tropical climate. Examples of herbs are parsley, basil, and lovage, but also caraway seeds and juniper berries. Spices include cinnamon, cloves, pepper and paprika. Below are the most commonly used herbs and spices.
Most Used Herbs:
Below are the most commonly used herbs. Most herbs are used fresh or dried in dishes.
- You can use this herb in soups, sauces and marinades, for example. Delicious in the cucumber salad.
- These blades taste somewhat like onions, albeit to a very light degree. Process these in soups, ragout and sauces, but also with potatoes and in marinades.
- Use this delicious plant with Italian dishes. In pasta sauces, pizzas, and with tomato salads.
- These dried leaves can be served with (vegetarian) goulash, red cabbage, onions, vegetable soup and pickled vegetables such as sauerkraut.
- Rosemary can be used in soups, salads and stews.
- Oregano also tastes very good with Italian dishes, but also with Greek and Spanish dishes.
- Thyme, for example, tastes good with carrots, mushrooms, soups, stock and in sauces.
- juniper berries
- Delicious with sauerkraut and soups and herbal oil. Don’t use much of the juniper.
- Savory is delicious with green beans, leeks and Brussels sprouts. Also delicious with other cabbages.
- Curry (a mix of herbs) is delicious with cauliflower, leeks, pointed cabbage and broccoli and with rice as a curry sauce, for example.
- You can use fresh (organic) mint leaves in the tea. You can also use mint in Thai soup, alcoholic drinks and in a nice glass of ice water. Use mint leaves for desserts too!
- fennel herb
- Fennel is very tasty in the soup and in various curry. Fennel herbs can also be used in stews and in fennel tea!
- Sage can be used with all kinds of meat, but it is certainly also in place in a vegetarian pasta.
- Parsley can be used in soups, sauces, but also on top of dishes as a decoration or crispy bite. In addition, parsley is often used last over or in a dish, otherwise it loses its taste.
- Adding coriander to oriental dishes is almost a must. It is often added last so as not to lose the flavor. We also use coriander in soups, sauces and salads.
- Paprika powder
- Paprika can be used with pasta dishes, goulash (vegetarian), soups and vegetable dishes. Paprika powder is often also used as a decoration over mayonnaise because of its red color. For example with Russian salad.
- Marjoram can be used in soups and sauces. It is also a popular herb in potato dishes. Marjoram can also be used in ragouts and tomato dishes. Enough possibilities!
- mustard seed
- Mustard case comes from the herb ‘the mustard plant’ and we use it in soups and sauces. Of course, mustard or mayonnaise is also made from it.
- caraway seed
- We use caraway seed in sauerkraut, but also in vegetables, soups and pastries.
- Garlic is delicious in sauces, pasta dishes, baked vegetables, potatoes and herb butter for example.
- lemon balm
- Lemon balm is delicious in fruit salads, in tea and vinaigrette.
Most Used Fresh Herbs
Continue with the most commonly used fresh herbs in the list of ‘most commonly used herbs and spices’.
- lemon balm
Many of these fresh herbs can be bought in a bunch or some twigs, wrapped in plastic or loose on the market. You can also buy herbs as small plants and put them on the windowsill.
There is also a possibility to grow your own herbs and to buy seeds or small plants at a garden center and put them in the garden or windowsill.
Most Used Spices
And now the spices. As already mentioned, spices grow in countries with a (sub)tropical climate.
- Pepper gives spice to many dishes such as soups, sauces, vegetables, potatoes and many in Asian and Chinese dishes.
- This spice is ground or grated over beans, cauliflower, spinach and through mashed potatoes, for example, and in cakes and pastries.
- vanilla pods
- The vanilla pod is a delicate spice. Vanilla is therefore often used in rice pudding, cakes, cookies, desserts and chocolate.
- star anise
- Stewed pears, applesauce and cake like to get some flavor from star anise. The Indian curry also loves to get this ingredient.
- This spice can be used with many sweet dishes. For example with pancakes, apple pie, marinades and in hot wine or tea, but also with red cabbage and stewed pears.
- Ginger is used in tea, but also in bread, cookies and oriental dishes.
- Use horseradish for spicy sauces and salads.
In addition, you also have ready-made spice mixes such as fried rice, noodles, stew spices, Chinese 5 spice powder, Italian spice mix, speculaas spice mix, herb butter spices and shoarma spices. Curry and paprika are also mixes of a number of spices together. There are ready-made spice mixes for sale, but of course, you can make spice mixes yourself.
Read our blog if you want to make nasi herbs or stew herbs or spice mix for chili sin carne yourself.
The salt is of course also widely used in flavoring dishes. However, it is not an herb or spice. That is why salt is missing from the list, but is now secretly named….
This is the list of ‘Most Used Herbs And Spices’.