What Is Feta Cheese? How to Eat Feta Cheese?
What Is Feta Cheese? Are you one of those who cannot give up cheese for breakfast, salad or even meals? Feta cheese, which most of you have heard for the first time, is a cheese whose homeland is Greece and is actually very similar to the white cheese in our kitchen. It is generally known as the answer to the search for ‘beautiful and high quality’ cheese in European countries.
So, what is Feta cheese? How is it produced? How to use? Anyone who is curious can find the details in our article. If you are ready, let’s introduce you to this cheese variety that has spread from Greece to the whole world!
What Is Feta Cheese?
- We think it would be more correct to start with the meaning of Feta, a cheese variety that spread from the Mediterranean to the whole world.
- As a result, most people may not understand what you are talking about unless you combine the word “Feta” with cheese. Of course, gourmets, we exclude you from this.
- The word “Feta” means feta cheese in Greek.
- Feta cheese, which is frequently preferred in European countries , is a type of cheese made from 70% sheep milk and 30% goat milk .
- Feta cheese is often preferred because it does not have a very fatty content.
- It has a salty and sharp texture.
- It is very similar to the white cheese we know in terms of its small hole structure.
- When the properties of Feta cheese are examined, it is seen that there are similarities with halloumi cheese.
- Feta cheese is available in different types, ranging from normal white cheese to medium cream cheese diced.
- If you are wondering which cheese is closest to feta cheese, what can be used instead of it in recipes with feta cheese, you can choose Ezine cheese. Ezine cheese is used in restaurant kitchens as a substitute for feta cheese .
- When the benefits of Feta cheese are investigated, we see that it is the first place to strengthen the body with its protein structure, as in other cheeses. In studies conducted specifically for this cheese, it has been observed that feta also strengthens heart health.
- Feta cheese is in the middle scale when compared to other cheeses in terms of calories. 100 grams of feta cheese has an average of 250 kcal.
How Is Feta Cheese Made?
- As the first step of the production phase in Greece, predetermined cow or sheep milk is fermented.
- One of the most important aspects of making Feta cheese is the quality of the milk to be made.
- For those who want to achieve the full flavor of feta cheese, the characteristics of the place where the cows or sheep graze can determine the quality of the cheese.
- The type of milk to be used in making Feta cheese, ie cow or sheep milk , directly affects everything from the yeast in the cheese making process to the salt content.
- After the milk is fermented, the water in the cheese is filtered through the hydraulic press .
- The pressed cheese is immersed in salty water after it is compacted so that there is no void in it .
- Finally, the feta cheese is left to rest.
- Maturation period is at least 3 months.
Where to Buy Feta Cheese?
- Feta cheese, originating from Greece, can generally be found more easily in settlements on the Aegean and Mediterranean coasts.
- If you ask where to sell Feta cheese , it is not possible to find it in local sales points that sell standard milk and dairy products in Turkey.
- If you live in Istanbul or other crowded cities, you can find feta cheese in big markets or on the internet.
- If you want to taste the real Feta cheese flavor, the regions of Greece famous for their feta cheese; You can buy it from places such as Ipiros, Thessalia, Peloponisos .
- Feta cheese, which satisfies the cheese craving of our citizens living abroad, is mostly available in markets in European countries.
How to Eat Feta Cheese
- It is preferred in almost every part of the kitchen thanks to its low-fat structure and salt content.
- Feta cheese, which goes well with its fruits, can help you to enjoy both fresh fruits and cheese taste.
- You can consume it on bread for breakfast and add it to your omelets. Especially feta cheese tomato omelet is one of the favorite recipes.
- You can add it to your sandwiches with additional ingredients such as tomatoes, lettuce and sausage.
- It will be a delicious choice for those who prefer to put cheese on the salad. Traditional Greek salads are also often served with a piece or diced Feta cheese.
- You can fry Feta cheese with its structure suitable for frying like halloumi cheese .
- While frying feta cheese, you can dip the cheese in flour with black pepper and fry it in olive oil. If desired, you can also squeeze lemon on it and enjoy it.
- Are you going to prepare dinner or lunch but you have limited time? Pasta with feta cheese or pasta with feta cheese and tomato can be a delicious savior for any meal.
- You can add it to your pasta sauces by crumbling or melting it.
- You can consume it in tacos. You can also choose Mexican cuisine instead of Cotija.