4 reasons why oatmeal is healthy
A few years ago, oatmeal was a boring porridge that you mostly knew from your grandmother. Nowadays, however, it is very hip again. And for good reason, because you can go in surprisingly many directions with it! But why would you put oatmeal on the menu? In this blog post, we’ll explain why oatmeal is healthy, and how to make it tasty – even if you’re not into porridge.
Why is oatmeal healthy?
No one actually disputes that oatmeal is healthy. But what makes this grain so suitable for a responsible breakfast? There are a number of reasons for this!
- Oatmeal lowers your cholesterol levels. Oats are one of the few grains to contain beta-glucans. These are fibers that bind to your cholesterol and fatty acids. They ensure that your cholesterol level drops. And that in turn lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Oatmeal is very filling. In addition to beta-glucans, oatmeal also contains many other fibers. As a result, it absorbs a lot of moisture in your stomach and fills it for a long time. Those fibers also ensure slow absorption of the carbohydrates, which in turn ensures long-term satiety.
- Good for your intestinal flora. Those fibers have an extra advantage: they also keep your intestines healthy. Fiber ensures that the healthy bacteria in your intestines stay alive, which improves the digestion of your food. There are even studies that show that healthy gut flora improves the mood!
- Oatmeal is rich in vitamins and minerals. For example, you get vitamins E and K and various B vitamins. It is also rich in minerals such as iron, potassium, zinc and magnesium. Finally, oatmeal contains antioxidants that counteract free radical damage in your body.
Obviously, oatmeal is a healthy choice! In addition, it has a number of practical advantages:
- Oatmeal is ready quickly. You have a bowl of oatmeal on the table within a few minutes, for example.
- Oatmeal is cheap. You can spend about 50 cents at most supermarkets for half a kilo of oatmeal. That is a lot cheaper than ‘super grains’ like quinoa.
- Oatmeal is flexible. Are you only thinking about that porridge? Then take a quick look at the oatmeal recipes below, because there is a lot more possible!
In short, if you want a healthy, easy and inexpensive meal, oatmeal is a good friend. But what can you do with it?
Oatmeal recipes breakfast
Oatmeal is best known as a breakfast ingredient. You can of course make all kinds of delicious oatmeal porridge. How about the following recipes, for example:
- Oatmeal with pear, blackberries and cinnamon
- Oatmeal with banana, apple and cinnamon
- Carrot oatmeal with dates
And also delicious: use oatmeal as a base to give a smoothie a little more filling! This way your breakfast fills a lot longer.
- Oatmeal and banana breakfast smoothie
- Oatmeal and blueberry smoothie
- Breakfast smoothie with raspberries and oatmeal
But oatmeal is not only ideal for breakfast! It is also an excellent basis for healthy biscuits and bars. For example:
- Oatmeal and coconut cake with raisins
- Oatmeal and banana cookies
- Chocolate chunks with nuts and oatmeal
You will find numerous other oatmeal recipes online. Think oatmeal pancakes, oatmeal cake and overnight oats. You don’t have to get tired of it quickly, in other words!