What to Eat in Çukurcuma? 5 Nostalgic Places
Cukurcuma Taste & Travel Guide
Every district in Istanbul has a story and a past. Çukurcuma is one of these districts. Let’s go to Çukurcuma , whose streets smell of history and where you will lose yourself while walking, through this article. If you are ready to get to know Çukurcuma step by step by climbing the steep slopes, we can open another page to your Istanbul adventure!
Historical Mirror of the City: Çukurcuma
- Before visiting the district, you may wonder why it was given this name.
- One of the days; Fatih Sultan Mehmet is in this district to perform Friday prayers.
- After examining the city, he realizes that; this region remains more hollow than its surroundings.
- Since Taksim, Beyoğlu and Galatasaray are the districts at higher altitudes, the name of this district is remembered as Çukurcuma over time.
- Çukurcuma is a place where young people also show interest with its nostalgic texture. So much so that even the song was made and the words of Çukurcuma were entangled in the language of the new generation.
- While visiting Çukurcuma, you can see the antique shops selling antiques, the tradesmen who have survived for many years, and the houses that smell like history.
- It’s time to leave the crowded life of Istanbul and set off to spend a quiet day in Çukurcuma!
Where is Çukurcuma and How to Go?
- Çukurcuma is a district of Beyoğlu district in Istanbul.
- It is possible to reach Çukurcuma, a district of Beyoğlu, on foot in a very short time from Taksim.
- If you are coming from different districts, you can use the minibusses departing for Taksim.
- When you reach Taksim, proceed towards Sıraselviler Street and when you approach the end of the street, continue on the right. Çukurcuma will be in front of you.
What to Eat in Çukurcuma? 5 Exquisite Places
After completing your day trip in Çukurcuma, how would you like to take a look at the places where you can cheer up your stomach? Each of these places is recommended for you to remember Çukurcuma better.
1) Friday Cafe
Cuma Cafe has been keeping its liveliness in Çukurcuma for years. It doubles the coffee pleasure of the visitors with cake varieties specially prepared for each day. You can stay away from stress and recharge your energy for a new day at any time you are in Cuma Cafe.
Address: Kuloğlu Mahallesi Çukurcuma Caddesi. No: 53/A Cihangir, Beyoglu
2) 49 Cukurcuma
49 Cafe is a famous place in Çukurcuma with its pizzas. It has introduced itself quite well in the surrounding regions with its crispy pizzas. Çukurcuma 49, the address of wine, pizza, fast food and insatiable peace!
Address: Kuloglu Mahallesi. Turnacibasi Caddesi No: 49, Beyoglu, Istanbul
3) Asri Pickle
If you come to Çukurcuma, you should definitely see Asri Pickle. This pickle shop, which will remind you of Yeşilçam, will give you a scene: Is pickle made with vinegar or lemon? Asri Turşucusu also draws attention as one of the locations where the movie Neşeli Günler was shot. Do not return without adding Çukurcuma to your diaries. Be sure to try the pickles too!
Address: Kuloğlu Mahallesi, Ağa Hamami Sokak 9/A, Beyoğlu, Istanbul
4) Corinne Brasserie
When you want to fill your heart with peace in Çukurcuma, one of the places you will go is Corinne Brasserie. This place has the calmness and delicious drinks you are looking for. If you like wine, we recommend ordering it with a cheese plate. Their coffees are delicious! It is a good address to relax, read a book, and have sweet conversations with your loved ones. There’s even accommodation!
Address: Kuloglu Mahallesi. Turnacibasi Street. Ayhan Işık Sokak No: 41 Beyoğlu Istanbul
5) Çukurcuma Meatballs
If the smell of meatballs fills the streets of Çukurcuma, know that meatballs are prepared in Çukurcuma Köftecisi. Not only meatballs but also delicious chickens are cooked here. If you wish, you can fill your stomach with calmness in the interior. If you want, you can watch Çukurcuma at the tables in front of the door. The choice is yours!
Address: Firuzağa District, Çukurcuma Street, Hacıoğlu Street, No 1/A, Beyoğlu, İstanbul
Çukurcuma Places to Visit List
What to do in Çukurcuma during the day? Here are some tips to spend a pleasant day:
1) Museum of Innocence
- Çukurcuma is a place that takes its name known with the Museum of Innocence.
- The Museum of Innocence is a museum where the book of Nobel Prize-winning author Orhan Pamuk is embodied.
- You can visualize the impressive love story of Kemal and Füsun in this museum.
- Almost all the objects in the book are exhibited in this museum.
- Orhan Pamuk waited a long time to open the Museum of Innocence and was patient.
- You should definitely see the Museum of Innocence, which was opened in 2012.
Address: Çukurcuma Street, Dalgıç Çıkmazı, 2, Beyoğlu, İstanbul
2) Gallery Apel
- There is also a place for art in Çukurcuma!
- Gallery Apel is an exhibition for those who live in Çukurcuma and those who come from many places.
- We will suggest an art center that you can visit to see the works of art in many themes more closely and to purify your soul.
Address: Kuloğlu Mahallesi, Hayriye Caddesi. No: 5, Beyoglu, Istanbul
3) Çukurcuma Antique Dealers
- If you ask what this neighborhood is famous for, those who know Istanbul will surely say that Çukurcuma is famous for its antique shops.
- The antique shops that you can come across in all the streets of Çukurcuma can take you from the present to the very old days.
- We say don’t miss the antique shops to get emotional with the memories left on the old furniture and to go back to the past a little bit. History awaits you here.
4) Algiers Street
- Çukurcuma is also known for its cafes.
- Algeria Street, also known as French Street in particular, is a famous place in Istanbul with its different atmosphere. If you are going to visit Çukurcuma, we definitely recommend you to listen to some live music on this street.
- Starting from the lower street of Galatasaray High School, this street is now known as French Street.
- There are many venues on Algeria Street, which is a dead-end street.
- You should not leave Çukurcuma without seeing this street decorated with flowers and various decorations.
5) Orhan Kemal Museum
- Orhan Kemal Museum is one of the places in Çukurcuma that smells of literature and art.
- In this museum, which must be visited by those who are interested in literature, the belongings and works of Orhan Kemal are exhibited.
- If you are wondering how the works of Orhan Kemal, which left their mark in Turkish Literature, were written, you should add the museum to your travel list.
Address: Kılıçalipaşa Mahallesi, No: 30, Akarsu Yokusu, Beyoğlu, Istanbul
6) Çukurcuma Bath
- Going to cafes on holidays may be the first activity that comes to mind. If you want to make a change, we recommend you to enjoy the hammam.
- Çukurcuma Hamam is both a historical building that has survived since 1831 and a place where you can spend comfortable time with modern arrangements. You can choose it with peace of mind to celebrate special days or especially to host foreign guests.
- You can both enjoy a hammam and have a massage in Çukurcuma Hammam, where you can find everything you need such as loincloth, soap, shampoo, conditioner, scrub, slippers, disposable bikini or shorts, lotion, comb.
Address: Firuzağa Mahallesi Çukurcuma Caddesi No: 43, Beyoğlu, Istanbul 34425