What is Granular Coffee? How is it done
Instant Coffee: Ready in Seconds!
Coffee beans are ground and various types of coffee are created. Granular coffee, which is a type that is frequently used in the coffee industry, is one of the coffees that many people love to consume.
Granular coffee varieties that meet with hot water remind everyone that it’s time to drink coffee, thanks to the delicious smell they spread throughout the room. After a sip of coffee from the cup, your body will gradually wake up and the energy you need will be stored.
Granular coffee can take its place in your home as one of your sources of happiness. If you would like to get to know the granule coffee served in almost every cafe better; You can start from the information in this article we have prepared.
What is Granular Coffee?
- Let’s get to know this coffee by answering the question of what granular coffee means. In its most succinct form; It means instant coffee.
- It has a structure that dissolves in seconds when it meets hot water in the same cup.
- This coffee, which is formed by the separation of coffee beans into particles, is not only consumed as a beverage. From time to time, granulated coffee is preferred during the preparation of some desserts.
- How did this coffee, also known as instant coffee, enter our lives? According to the information in the written sources, granulated coffee was discovered in the early 1900s.
- Granulated coffee produced in Chicago by Satori Kato, success in the field of chemistry; It was first presented and introduced to the public at the Pan-American Exposition in New York.
- Granulated coffee, which took its place in the beverage industry by a famous coffee company in 1938, is still one of the most consumed hot drinks today.
- Granulated coffee is known as a beverage product that is offered for sale in packages and jars, and is available in many sales points.
- The loss of water from the coffee bean creates granular coffee.
- Granular coffee can be mixed with some flavors or milk powder to obtain a softer drink.
- A slightly bitter taste can be experienced when granulated coffee is brewed with hot water alone.
- The degree of roasting of the coffee bean affects the taste of the coffee.
- So, does granulated coffee go bad? Granular coffee, like any coffee, has a structure that is prone to spoilage.
- If you do not store it in a glass bottle and keep it in an open container; Granular coffee can go stale.
- If the inside of the jar you are using is moist; Your granulated coffee will soften and lose its flavor.
- In order to preserve it in the best way; You can prefer tightly closed glass jars. You can protect glass jars away from sunlight.
How Is Granulated Coffee Made?
Coffee lovers wonder how granulated coffee is produced. The production phase of granulated coffee consists of the following steps:
- Two different methods are used for coffee beans to lose their water.
- As the first method, we can state that the freeze-drying process is applied.
- Freeze drying process; It starts when the coffee beans naturally lose their water for a while.
- The seeds, whose juice is extracted by the natural method, are frozen at -40 degrees. The water remaining in the internal structure of the coffee bean; It turns into a crystalline structure during freezing.
- The continuation of the process is the evaporation stage. When the water in the bean’s structure evaporates and disappears, the coffee bean becomes granular coffee.
- The second method applied to obtain granulated coffee is the spraying method.
- While applying the spraying technique; The coffee bean’s own juice evaporates. The dried concentrated coffee is poured into baskets from the high ground.
- Spraying is applied at this stage. The water in the coffee that touches the bottom evaporates in a high-temperature environment and starts to dry.
- In the final stage, dried, dried granules of coffee are obtained.
Granulated Coffee Harms and Side Effects
- Granulated coffee will become a harmful beverage when consumed in moderation.
- If you drink too much coffee during the day; heart palpitations would be an expected side effect.
- When you delay the care of your teeth, granulated coffee can cause yellowing of the teeth.
- Since the intestines will work too much as a result of too much consumption of granulated coffee; diarrhea can be observed.
- Granular coffee, which can cause insomnia, can be drunk 2-3 cups during the day.
- It is not recommended to consume too much during pregnancy.
- Since it will cause insomnia in the mother and baby during breastfeeding; It is not recommended to consume too much.
So, what are the benefits of granulated coffee?
- It regulates bowel movements and prevents conditions such as constipation.
- It provides happiness by preventing stress and anxiety.
- It prevents distraction and solves the problem of focusing.
- It helps you feel fit by keeping the body vigorous.
- It provides the energy needed during the day.
- It accelerates fat burning by activating metabolism.
How Many Calories in Granulated Coffee?
Granulated coffee is a very low-calorie beverage. When consumed without sugar, it will have an effect on weight loss. However, if it is drunk too much and with sugar; It can cause body fat. The calorie information of granulated coffee is calculated as follows:
- 1 teaspoon of granulated coffee calories: 3 calories
- 10 grams of granulated coffee: 14 calories
- 50 grams of granulated coffee: 70 calories
- 100 grams of granulated coffee: 140 calories
What are Granular Coffee Types?
- Granular coffee varieties are related to the degree of roasting of the coffee bean.
- Coffee companies have classified granulated coffee as an intense flavor and classic flavor.
- Specially prepared granulated coffees with cream and milk powder added for those who like a softer drink.
What to Use Instead of Granulated Coffee?
- Tiramisu, one of the special flavors, is one of the coffee desserts prepared with granulated coffee.
- If you have noticed that you do not have granulated coffee at hand while making tiramisu; You can use Turkish coffee.
- Although not a substitute for granulated coffee, Turkish coffee will be an alternative for dessert making.
- Those who want to use Nescafe can use it instead of granulated coffee in an emergency.