What are the Benefits of Beet?
Beetroot, also known as Betterave, Beta Vulgaris or beet, is a plant belonging to the spinach family. Beet, which is a herbaceous plant; completes its development in two years. A two-year root plant growing under the ground, only the rosette leaves open in the first year.
What is Beet?
Beet leaves that do not bloom in the first year; In its second year, it has a height of 20-25 cm and flowers. The beet flower, which resembles a bunch on its top, carries its green color. The beet plant, which resembles a cylinder in shape during development; Over time it turns into a cone shape. While the inner color is white, a white approaching yellow dominates the outer color.
It is known that there are 15 different varieties of beet, which contains sucrose and betaine. The plant, which stands out with its benefits, is used in many dishes, as well as meeting the feed needs of animals. In addition, the sugars consumed in daily life are the processed form of beet sugar. Beetroot, which is a tuber-shaped vegetable, can also be called pezik.
Where Does Beet Grow?
Beet grows naturally in many regions of Turkey. The plant, which does not need much moisture and precipitation, can be grown in many parts of our country (not seen in the Eastern Black Sea coasts).
Beet seeds, which can be grown in every region, develop mostly in inner regions. Today, the Central Anatolia region meets half of the beet production. Intensive beet production is also carried out in the Black Sea and Marmara regions. Since it is a plant that needs to be processed directly after being collected, attention is usually paid to producing it close to the factories. Especially sugar beet type is tried to be produced near sugar factories.
For this reason, the Konya Ereğli region provides most of the sugar beet production. In addition, Turkey is called the homeland of sugar beet. Although the red beet species grow in Turkey, its homeland is known as the European continent.
What Are Beet Types?
The most common, used, and consumed varieties of beetroot, which is known to have 15 different varieties:
- sugar beet,
- Red beet,
- fodder beet,
Sugar beet is preferred to meet sugar needs. These succulent beets with tuberous root; It contains up to 20% sucrose.
Another known variety is beetroot, which is also used in cooking. It is the most preferred and known type of beet. It is consumed as a vegetable by making pickles, salads, and similar dishes.
Forage beet, on the other hand, resembles red beet but has low nutritional value. For this reason, animal feed is obtained from feed beet.
Chard, on the other hand, resembles a spinach vegetable in terms of its structure and appearance. Vegetables with high nutritional value are easily digested.
What is the Nutritional Value, Calorie, and Sugar Ratio of Beets?
Beetroot, which has a place in kitchens and tables in daily life, is consumed and processed with many different recipes and methods. In particular, methods such as the beet diet are in the minds of consumers, “Does beetroot lose weight?” raises the question. It contains iron, phosphorus, protein, potassium, folic acid, carotene, lutein, etc. beets, which contain many useful components; It is frequently used in diet and nutrition lists in terms of nutritional value and content.
Since it is rich in potassium, carbohydrates, calcium and fiber, it suppresses the feeling of hunger and turns off the appetite. Thus, it is also preferred for people who want to lose weight. In addition, beetroot is also very rich in vitamins. It meets the needs of vitamins such as A, C, B1, B2, B3, B6. One beet contains about 35 calories (kcal).
Due to the presence of sucrose in its structure, “Does beetroot increase sugar?” The question is also frequently asked. Contrary to what has been asked by the researchers, it has been seen that beetroot regulates blood sugar level and is good for blood pressure and diabetes.
What Are the Benefits of Beetroot? What Is Beet Good For?
- Thanks to its rich iron content, it purifies and cools the blood. With this feature, it is used in the treatment of anemia.
- When consumed regularly, it is effective in solving skin blemishes, acne scars, acne, inflammations and similar skin problems. Beetroot, which is also applied as a mask, provides the skin with a bright and healthy appearance.
- Since the “folic acid” used in pregnancy drugs is also found in beet, consumption of beet during pregnancy has a positive effect on the health of the baby and protects against birth defects.
- It is good for anemia.
- Thanks to the “nitrate” substance in it, it prevents high pressure and provides a protective effect against cardiovascular diseases.
- It lowers bad cholesterol while raising good cholesterol. It has a preventive effect against diseases such as varicose veins and high blood pressure.
- Since it contains lutein and zeaxanthin, it takes precautions against yellow spot eye disease.
- It helps the liver get rid of waste. It runs regularly.
- It supports the health of organs such as bone, pancreas, kidney, liver.
- It relieves constipation.
- Beet powder obtained from fresh beet is used as a flavoring-coloring natural food dye.
- Sports, training etc. When consumed before activities (especially beetroot juice), it increases energy and endurance. Thanks to the vitamins, minerals and fiber it contains
- It helps you lose weight by closing the appetite.
How to Store Beets?
In order for beets to be stored for a longer time, they must be chosen correctly and stored correctly. For this reason, it is necessary to choose the ones with intense color and without stains and smooth.
Their freshness is understood by the greenness, appearance and vigor of their leaves. Beets, which look longer and have a scaly appearance on the top instead of being tubular, usually leave a sour taste as they carry more fiber. The beets in this image should not be preferred.
A fresh beet can be stored in a container or bag in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks. As long as it is not separated from the root, its leaves are also durable for 3-5 days. In order to store the beet in the freezer or deep freezer, the method of boiling the beet is used. Otherwise, the taste will change when stored raw and thawed. It can be preserved for a long time in the refrigerator or freezer by putting it in a bag after being boiled and sliced into slices.