What Are Chives? Benefits, Cultivation, and Nutritional Values
- Chives are a type of onion, also known as chives.
- This onion, which has green thin and long leaves, is a vegetable that is as effective as antibiotic drugs.
- It is known botanically as Allium schoenoprasum. Leaf onion, the smallest member of the onion family,
- It is frequently consumed in European, Asian and North American countries.
- Chives, which have attracted a lot of attention in Turkey in recent years, are a perennial herb.
- It can reach 50 cm in length when good growing conditions are provided.
- Chives, which have a sharp taste, are consumed in almost many homes due to their contribution to the immune system.
- Dried chives are included in Van’s famous herbaceous cheese and are also used as a spice in dishes.
- You can use chives fresh in salads and meals. You can garnish pasta and meat with very finely chopped chives.
- On the other hand, dried chives can adapt to any recipe you want. It can be consumed in various ways such as pizza sauce, pasta sauce, meat marinade, soup sauce.
- If you wish, you can consume raw chives for breakfast and other meals, such as parsley and lettuce.
When to Plant Chives Seed?
- Chives, which have the ability to grow most efficiently in fields such as grasslands and pastures, can also be grown in pots at home.
- To grow chives, it is recommended to find a good quality chives seed.
- It is recommended to sow the seed in bulk in a large pot.
- Chives seeds, which have a high germination feature, are planted at any time of the year.
- Whenever you want; You can plant chives seed in fertile soil.
How to Grow Chives Seed?
- Chives seeds like to germinate in moist and peat soil. If you choose a large pot, you will get more yield as the onion grows.
- Seeds germinate in an average of 4 weeks at 22 degrees Celsius.
- The seeds that give their first sprouts begin to stretch as they receive indirect sunlight.
- It is recommended that you take care to keep it moist while watering the soil.
- In very watery soil, chives begin to rot.
- Chives, which have the feature of staying green throughout the year, are cut with scissors near the roots and pruned when they reach 30 cm in length.
- You can grow chives in a pot, field and garden setting.
Differences Between Chives and Green Onions
From time to time, chives are mixed with green onions. However, these two types of onions are different from each other. Now, under this heading, let’s talk about the features that distinguish chives from green onions:
- Green onion is an annual plant. Chives are perennial herb. After harvesting the green onion once a year, it does not have roots in the soil. Chives can leave the root in the soil for several years.
- The chives are hollow inside. There is another layer inside the leaves of green onions.
- Chives are in the Allium fistulosum family. Green onions belong to the Allium schoenoprasum family.
- Chives can be used as a seasoning when dried. Green onions have no drying feature. It is consumed raw.
What Are the Benefits of Chives?
1) Protects Eye Health
- Chives are a vegetable that contains vitamin A. Thanks to vitamin A, it protects eye health.
- Chives should be consumed to improve vision disorders and take precautions beforehand.
- You can consume plenty to maintain the health of the retina.
2) Strengthens Hair
- Chives are an onion that nourishes the hair. Thanks to the vitamins and minerals in its structure, hair dryness is prevented.
- Chives, which add innovation from the roots to the ends, provide faster growth and shine.
- You can heal problems such as dandruff, breakage and lifelessness thanks to this vegetable
3) Cleanses the Intestines
- Chives clean the intestinal parasites. It prepares the necessary environment for the intestines to work more comfortably.
- Chives prevent swelling after meals.
- You can consume plenty to protect the health of the intestines and support the activation of the digestive system.
4) Purifies the Body
- Chives are an antioxidant vegetable. It purifies the body from harmful substances in a short time.
- Chives, which support cell regeneration, help the kidneys work more healthily. In this way, the body is renewed more often.
- It is recommended that people with edema problems consume chives.
5) It is the remedy for healthy sleep
- According to studies, people who consume chives frequently have a healthier sleep pattern.
- If you have been having a sleep problem lately and want a quality sleep, you should definitely add chives to your meals.
6) It is hostile to cancer
- Cancer, which is a very serious disease, can be prevented thanks to chives. For this, you need to consume chives frequently.
- Chives, which have the ability to fight free radicals, will be protective from intestinal cancer to skin cancer.
7) Folic Acid Source During Pregnancy
- It is important to take folic acid during pregnancy. Folic acid is better taken from green vegetables. Chives will help you in this situation.
- You can consume chives regularly to keep the baby and mother healthier.
8) Prevents Heart Diseases
- Chives, which provide relaxation and cleaning of the vessels leading to the heart, prevent a possible heart attack.
- Chives, which have the feature of balancing blood pressure, support the healthy functioning of the heart.
9) Strengthens the Immune System
- Chives, which are rich in vitamins A, C, E and antioxidant minerals, should be consumed to prevent diseases.
- It strengthens the immune system and removes bacteria and microbes from the body. In order to live healthy, you should add chives to every meal.
10) Protects Bone and Skeletal Structure
- Chives contain vitamin K. In this respect, it is an important nutrient for the preservation of muscle and bone structure.
- It is recommended to consume fresh or dried chives to prevent osteoporosis, spasms, and bone pain.
- Since it is a source of calcium, it helps your body look better.
Chives Calories and Nutritional Values
You can consume chives fresh or dried. It will appear as a nutrient that protects you in every way and removes diseases from your body.
So, are you wondering how many calories chives contain? Now, let’s give you information about calories and nutritional values.
- 28 grams finely chopped chives: 8.4 calories
Vitamins and minerals found in 28 grams of chives are as follows:
- 1.7 grams of Fat
- 0.8mg Sodium
- 1.2 Carbs
- 0.7 grams of Dietary Fiber
- 0.5 grams of Sugar
- 0.9 grams of Protein
- 59.6 mcg of Vitamin K
- 16.3 mg of vitamin C
- 1219 iu of vitamin A
- 29.4 mcg Folic Acid
- 0.4mg Iron
- 25.8 mg Calcium
- 11.8mg Magnesium