Vertical Farming: Appliances, Applications
Perhaps the most discussed issues of recent years are depressing issues such as global warming, changing ecological balances, extinct animals, environmental pollution and unhealthy diet. The human population, which is increasing at a rate that cannot be said to be controlled, brings many dangerous situations such as environmental pollution, natural massacre, lack of resources, and hormonal foods.
However, the world is not just about bad developments, and important steps are being taken to put a stop to this pessimistic progress. For example, more importance has been given to organic agriculture and healthy nutrition than at any other stage of life.
In this article, we will be answering the questions about vertical farming, the agricultural trend that has made a difference in recent times. Here, what is vertical farming, what are the tips about vertical farming systems and applications? Now with you:
What is Vertical Farming?
- As a result of the awareness of healthy nutrition and healthy living that is improving day by day, many large food companies have turned to additive-free products, organic markets have been opened in different parts of the world, including our country, and exercise and sports activities have gained more importance than ever before.
- Vertical agriculture, which is an extension of all these developments and aims to bring agriculture to our cities, even to our gardens, terraces and homes, is among the most important developments in recent years.
- Vertical farming, which is carried out with simple equipment without the need for large-scale fertilization, hoeing or spraying, is an excellent option for those who want to grow their own food, thus obtaining more economical and natural nutrients.
- The purpose of vertical farming is to save both space and the use of natural resources. Therefore, it is an efficient method in every respect.
How is Vertical Farming Made?
- If we look at the advantages of vertical farming, the first point is that it is a type of agriculture that everyone can easily step into and there is no space problem.
- The equipment and effort required by vertical agriculture, which is carried out in limited areas and within certain production limits, is also quite simple.
- As an area for vertical farming, you can use your garden, terrace, kitchen, the wall of any room or similar place as you wish.
- If you wish, you can make use of the entire area you have chosen, or you can make different installations for decorative purposes.
- It is sufficient that the environment receives sufficient sunlight and is suitable for the growth of plants.
- In recent years, vertical farming on the balcony is among the rising trends preferred by many families.
- You can irrigate the mixture and seeds, which are placed in special apparatus, by spraying water in the form of a spray or with classical methods, depending on their location.
- It is worth noting that there may be a need for artificial lighting or water tanks in large scale and various vertical farming stages.
- However, there is no need for complicated equipment or efforts for basic vertical farming practices that you will do in your own garden or home.
- You can get positive results from vertical farming with equipment that you can buy online or even make yourself.
- Since vertical soilless agriculture can be done with more basic and small-scale operations compared to traditional agriculture, simple fertilization and irrigation operations are sufficient after the seeds are placed in the apparatus.
- Since the mixture in the apparatus helps the growth and development of plants at a high level, there is no need for extra support or spraying and similar applications as in traditional agriculture.
- Vertical agriculture is a developing area, although it is progressing slowly within the borders of Turkey. Although there are no direct vertical farming incentives, there are support programs for agriculture provided by the state and private companies.
What are Vertical Farming Apparatus?
- In its most basic form, vertical farming equipment is in the form of special apparatus, also known as “tower farm”, which will maintain the soil necessary for growing your plants, a mixture of peat and perlite that will form the soil of the plants, and of course suitable seeds.
- The “tower farm” varieties, which are pot-like and mostly angular and wooden vertical farming modules that can be mounted parallel to the wall as well as perpendicular to the wall, greatly facilitate your work.
- Many apparatuses used in classical flower cultivation can also be used in vertical agriculture. These equipment include many options that can be easily found, such as flower pots, plant ladders, multi-level shelves.
- Pet bottles, tin cans and wicker sacks, on the other hand, can produce very creative results in vertical agriculture in terms of both decorative and practicality.
- After selecting the equipment that will preserve the soil-like mixture, peat, an organic soil type, and soil conditioner perlite, which is used for isolation, should be placed in the apparatus.
- Since the vertical farming apparatus price includes suitable alternatives, the cost of vertical farming in general can also have low rates.
How is Vertical Farming Apparatus Made?
- It is possible to reach a wide variety of products easily and at affordable prices thanks to the companies and brands that produce for vertical farming apparatus and other necessary vehicles.
- You can buy ready-made vertical farming apparatuses, which usually use wood and hard plastic materials, or you can make most of these apparatus yourself with the DIY method.
- Especially those who have skills or hobbies in such matters can create their own vertical farming apparatus by combining materials such as wood and chipboard.
- In addition, flower pots can be made from plastic bottles, cans and wicker sacks, and these pots can be painted in different colors to obtain a very stylish look.
What are Vertical Farming Applications?
- Although vertical agriculture is generally regarded as a hobby that can be done at home, reasons such as the increase in immigration to cities, the gradual decrease of the population that can do agriculture in villages, and the lack of agricultural areas increase the number of different ideas and studies on this field.
- For example, R&D studies and trainings covering vertical agriculture are carried out; thus, the idea of agriculture is spread in the city.
- Hobby areas based on vertical agriculture, landscape works and industrial production stages are also put into practice.
- Since it is a soilless production method and peat-perlite mixtures can be used continuously for about 4 years, vertical agriculture is an area where more efficiency can be obtained with less costs compared to traditional agriculture.
- Naturally, when cost and productivity balance is added to other reasons, this radical type of agriculture ceases to be an area of personal interest and manages to attract the attention of institutions.
- Vertical farming varieties; growing in water, growing plants without soil (aquaponic), growing plants without liquid or solid media (aeroponics).
- In our country, vertical farming is also practiced in different cities such as Bursa, Karacabey and Konya.
- Vertical agriculture managed to attract attention in Karacabey with these applications, which are at the stage of initiative, and companies that distribute and sell special apparatus for this field were opened.
- On the other hand, vertical agriculture has gained a place in Konya and has been the subject of various trainings and entrepreneurship processes.
- We should comprehensively evaluate all the benefits of vertical farming as a country and grasp the advantages it can provide both personally and socially.
Some of the endless benefits of vertical farming:
- One of the most effective solutions to the increasing population imbalance with decreasing agricultural lands is vertical agriculture.
- Vertical agricultural products are not limited to a certain area. Vertical farming ensures that all vegetables and fruits, including strawberries, lettuce, beans and tomatoes, are consumed in their organic form.
- Since there will be no extra labor, tillage and plowing, costly maintenance and transportation in vertical farming, crops that can be reached more easily and cheaply can be produced.
- Apart from consumption, people can grow their own products as they will be encouraged to produce.
- As cities will take on a greener atmosphere with vertical agriculture, the dark effect of the grayness created by concrete decreases.
- Since vertical farming does not require large areas as large as fields and high water consumption, great savings are achieved in terms of both space and water.
- Since there will be no diseases affecting plants in traditional agriculture and pesticides used to eliminate these diseases, more natural and healthy products will emerge.
- Since it is a completely new sector, different professions and employment areas are created.
Although vertical agriculture is still a new concept in terms of the world and Turkey, it is an area that needs to be given importance and developed due to the numerous advantages it offers. Thus, it may be possible to get away from or even get rid of the bad future scenarios that constantly occupy the agenda.
It attracts attention in terms of the benefits of vertical farming and being environmentally friendly, as well as being a system that meets the needs of the age. In fact, vertical agriculture education has started to be given in universities.
While discussing the possibilities of being without food due to climate crises in dystopian future scenarios, it is very promising to develop disciplines such as vertical agriculture in which resources are used at a minimum and it is possible to produce plants without even needing soil! It seems that developments in this field will continue as vertical farming companies increase…