Star Fruit 101: Benefits, Nutrition Facts and Where Does it Grow?
When tropical fruits are added to our local fruit delicacies, we cannot predict the harmony in fruit plates. We would like to talk about a brand new and healing fruit for those who believe that tropical flavors always have an appeal. A new one is added to delicious fruits such as banana, kiwi, avocado, lychee, mango and papaya: Star fruit, also known as carambola.
The word star in its name comes from appearance. You cannot connect with the star at first glance, as it is a magic fruit. But the star shape that emerges when you slice it will amaze those who see it.
When you want to take better steps for a healthy life, you should not neglect to take the necessary vitamins and minerals from fruits. In this article we have prepared, we will present you a flavor from Sri Lanka. With this very interesting star-shaped fruit, we will find a cure for skin spots and prevent aging. Healthier days are waiting for you in this article.
What is Star Fruit?
Star fruit, which does not look like a star with its shape, reveals the mystery of its name when sliced transversely. In the plant area it is known as carambola. It is not a fruit unique to our country. Compared to other fruits, it is suitable for consumption from the peel to the core. It has a juicy, slightly tart and sour flavor. Maha and Hoku types of this fruit, which has more than one type, are easier to remember.
Star fruit consists of 5 longitudinal slices. These 5 slices side by side can be eaten when cut across. The slices cut across are also used for decoration in cold drinks as they take the shape of a star. It can even be among the options as a fruit that colors desserts. When you want to add a visual feast to your desserts, you can benefit from the slices of star fruit. Your desserts will look great.
Carambola, which leaves a mixture of apple, pineapple and lemon, is also used as a jam fruit. Star fruit, which has a pleasant aroma, can make your fruit salads even more delicious while coloring it. After removing the hard layer on the edges with a knife, you can cut it crosswise and give it a star shape. When you cut the star fruit, you can sometimes see the brown seeds. Some species may not have nuclei.
It is possible to consume the star fruit brought to our country from Malaysia in 12 months of the year. You can store it for a long time in your deep freezer for later use. When you want to freeze, you should pay attention to keep it stable at -2 degrees. Otherwise, it will lose its flavor and will not be of much use when it comes out of the freezer.
Where Does Star Fruit Grow?
The homeland of the star fruit is India and Sri Lanka. It is a type of fruit that spreads all over the world due to its structure that adapts to different climates. Star fruit is grown intensively in Malaysia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Brazil.
Star fruit is exported to our country from Malaysia. There is no export season. It is consumed by those who know the star fruit in our country for 12 months of the year.
Star Fruit Nutrition Facts
Star fruit is rich in vitamin C. It is very beneficial for all ages because it contains potassium and phosphorus. It is also rich in niacin. Niacin is vitamin B3, and its role in the work of enzymes is quite large. In niacin deficiency, memory loss is observed. By consuming star fruit, you can meet the niacin needed for your body.
It is a low calorie fruit. 1 gram slice contains 3 calories. There are 0.73 carbohydrates in 1 gram. It contains 0.05 protein, 0.12 sodium and 0.5 calcium. It is also among the fruits high in vitamin A. Since it has low calories, it can be easily preferred in diets. If you have medications that you use chronically, it may be a healthier decision to consult your doctor while eating this fruit.
What Are the Benefits of Star Fruit?
It is necessary to add the benefits of star fruit to the healing from fruits. The benefits of dried star fruit, which are consumed not only in raw form, but also in dry form, cure many ailments. Star fruit, which protects your immunity in winter days, is also a complete diet fruit. Let’s examine the benefits:
- Since it contains a high amount of vitamin C, it is among the fruits that you should consume on days when you have a cold.
- Thanks to the amino acids in its content, it will be very effective for your skin and hair health. Increases collagen production. When you consume it constantly, you can notice the vitality in your skin and hair.
- Since it is a low-calorie fruit, it lowers high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Thanks to the minerals in its content, it is a fruit that eliminates stress and relaxes.
- Thanks to its antioxidant properties, it has a protective role against cancer.
- Because of its low sugar content, it is a fruit you can choose during your weight loss process. For the same reason, diabetic patients may also prefer fruit.
- It is a tropical fruit that minimizes the possibility of atherosclerosis.
- While it strengthens your immune system, it also protects your heart health.
- With the crushed leaves of star fruit, scars from wounds and insect bites can be treated.
- It is a fruit that quenches your thirst. It can be preferred in summer heat.
- With the benefits of dried star fruit, you can get over your flu and cold days in a shorter time.
- Star fruit, which is frequently preferred in European countries due to its taste and benefits, will protect you against all infectious diseases.