Rooster Comb Flower Care and Benefits
The amaranth flower, which offers a wonderful visual feast with its red, pink, and orange flowers, is almost reminiscent of small flames. This flower, which attracts attention with its unique appearance, has been known abroad for many years; It is used as an ornamental plant in various countries of the world as well as being used in meals. In our country, amaranth flower, which has just started to be known, has started to find a place for itself in both homes and flower shops in recent years.
What is the meaning of amaranth flour? Let’s look for an answer to this very curious question together!
The word cock’s comb means flame in Greek. The flowers of the amaranth are in a tight structure with wrinkled heads and in small bunches. In appearance, it almost resembles a flame, tassel, and cock’s comb. Its name comes from this image. Its velvety flowers are showy.
So how big does amaranth flower grow?
This plant is a bit cheeky when it comes to growth, so to speak. It can grow up to 90 cm in length.
There are varieties of amaranth flowers available. Celosia, amaranth and argentea are the most well-known amaranth flower genera. The flowers of the plant in the genus Celosia are small and together. In the Celosia type, the flowers of the plant are erect and grow upwards. Amaranth species grow spontaneously in almost all parts of the world in the form of weeds. The flowers of this species, which reproduce from its seeds, are large, drooping, unlike the celosia species. The flowers of the Argentea species are similar to foxtails. These flowers come together to form a tassel image.
In this article, we have examined the amaranth flower for you. If you want to have amaranth flowers in your home as an ornamental plant, you should definitely read the rest of the article.
How to Buy and Plant Rooster Comb Flower Seeds?
- The amaranth generally prefers sunny and semi-shady environments.
- The seeds of the amaranth flower to be planted in the pot should be planted at least 15 cm apart from each other.
- Seeds should be sown 2-3 cm deep into the soil.
- For planting, first water the soil.
- Then make small holes with your finger, place the seeds in these holes and cover them with soil.
- Cover the seeds with soil.
- You can place the pot anywhere in the house until the seeds start to germinate.
- After the sprouts start to appear, you need to water the flower regularly. However, you should be careful not to damage the seeds and the placement of the seeds during the irrigation process.
So when is the amaranth flower planted?
- The planting time of the amaranth flower is spring and summer.
How to Care for Rooster Comb Flower?
Amaranth, an annual ornamental plant, is an easy-care plant. However, like every plant, there are some tricks to growing amaranth flowers. Here are some little-known tips on caring for amaranth flowers…
Soil and Pot Selection
- A 20 cm pot is sufficient for single amaranth.
- However, amaranth flower looks much more beautiful when planted in bulk. For this reason, we recommend planting it in a tall or wide pot with at least 15 cm of space between the seeds.
- This flower can be easily grown in cultivated soil.
- This plant especially likes nitrogen-rich, slightly permeable soil.
- You can prepare a mixture of little potting soil, compost, and peat soil.
- Cockscomb flower likes a sunny environment. If you do not have a very sunny environment, you can choose an area that gets sun in the morning and evening.
- This plant is particularly resistant to heat. Because of this feature, it likes warm environments.
- Cold environments with a lot of wind adversely affect their growth.
- The amaranth needs to be watered regularly in small amounts every day.
- You can understand the water need of the flower by checking its soil. The soil should always be moist.
- Let’s come to the question of how to reproduce amaranth!
- The easiest way to propagate this plant is to use seeds that fall from the flower itself.
- These seeds are collected and planted in a suitable pot.
- If you wish, you can move the plant to another pot after the seeds have sprouted. However, if its size is sufficient, there is no harm in keeping it in the same pot.
What Are the Benefits of Rooster Comb Flower?
Rooster comb is not only an ornamental plant but also one of the popular foods of the last period. This plant, also known as amaranth, is described as a “superfood” by some experts. So what are the benefits of amaranth flour? Let’s examine it together!
- It is nutritious: The amaranth is rich in acids, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that are beneficial to health. In addition, the protein content of this plant is high. A cooked bowl of amaranth contains 9 grams of protein.
- It is anti-inflammatory: Amaranth, which is a natural anti-inflammatory thanks to the components it contains, fights acute and chronic inflammation in the body. Thanks to this feature, it is good for all inflammation-related diseases, especially arthritis.
- Rich in Lysine: Lysine is one of the substances that increase calcium absorption. Half a cup of cooked amaranth contains 721 mg of lysine. This substance also accelerates fat burning, strengthens the immune system, fights viruses that cause colds, protects bones and tendons.
- Reduces the Risk of Cancer: Thanks to this feature, amaranth, which is a protein-rich food, supports the replacement of healthy cells that have been destroyed by chemotherapy. In addition, thanks to the components it contains, it prevents the spread of cancer cells.
- Gluten-Free: Since amaranth does not contain gluten, it is a food suitable for the diets of people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.
- Suitable for Diabetics: Although amaranth is a food with a high glycemic index, it does not harm diabetics.
- It is a Nourishing Food for Pregnant Women: With its components, vitamins, and minerals, amaranth is an ideal food for expectant women. The folate it contains is important for DNA replication and synthesis. Folate deficiency may cause neural tube defects that cause anomalies in the baby. Studies have shown that consuming folate foods during pregnancy reduces the risk of neural tube defects by 26 percent. Rooster comb is also rich in iron. Iron is one of the essential minerals during pregnancy. It facilitates the delivery of oxygen to the baby and supports its development.
- It is Heart-Friendly: Studies have shown that amaranth oil prevents coronary heart diseases.
- Protects Intestinal Health: The rooster comb is a plant rich in fiber. Thanks to this feature, it fights constipation, regulates and improves the intestinal system.
- Strengthens Bones: Cockscomb contains plenty of manganese, which is good for bone health. With the amount of manganese in a bowl of cooked amaranth, 105 percent of the daily need is met. This herb is also rich in calcium. Both manganese and calcium support bone health and strengthen bones.
- Improves Eye Health: The amaranth plant is rich in vitamin A. Vitamin A is good for the eyes and improves vision. It prevents night blindness.
- Facilitates Weight Loss: With its high fiber content, the rooster comb suppresses appetite and gives a long-term feeling of satiety. It helps the intestines to work regularly by fighting constipation.
- Nourishes Hair and Skin: Lysine, which is abundant in cock comb, cannot be produced by the body. Lysine is very good for hair and skin. It strengthens hair follicles. It prevents male pattern hair loss and baldness. In addition, the iron in the cock’s comb prevents hair loss and graying of the hair. It is known that cock comb is especially good for oily skin. It is a good skin cleanser. It delays the early signs of aging on the skin.
- Fights Anemia: Thanks to this feature, amaranth, an iron-rich plant, fights anemia, that is, anemia.
When Do Rooster Combs Bloom?
- Cockscomb blooms in summer and autumn.
- It usually flowers in June, July, August, September, and October.
- The amaranth blooms about 2 months after the seed is planted.