Praying Flower Care, Types, Reproduction
Each plant has its own characteristics. The prayer flower is the most special flower of many houses with its name and striking pattern. There is a very mysterious and special story of giving the name of prayer to this flower. In the evening, the petals of the prayer flower rise into the air and it is called by this name because it is likened to the act of praying.
The prayer flower, with its dark-colored transitional leaves, is in the home of plant lovers because it is easy to care for. It has a structure that releases and stretches its leaves due to daylight. Many people think that this flower prays in the evening. Its leaves become tenser as daylight goes away.
How to Care for Praying Flowers?
Solar Need and Positioning
- The prayer flower is very easy to care for. you just have to remember to maintain it at certain intervals.
- Especially the prayer flower, which likes sunny environments, stretches its leaves when it gets dark.
- You can grow prayer flower varieties in semi-shaded environments.
- When the summer season comes, you can sunbathe by being careful not to dry out.
- Moderate watering is recommended for all prayer flower species. If irrigation is done with a spray bottle, this will be effective for the efficient growth of the plant.
- Irrigation is necessary to keep the soil moist.
- If you water too much, the soil of the prayer flower begins to rot.
- The mineral soil, which is necessary for every plant, also applies to the prayer flower.
- If soil rich in minerals is chosen; the prayer flower can maintain its vitality in pots for many years.
- You should change the soil once a year in the spring.
- A pot should be chosen in which the roots of the prayer flower will be comfortable.
- A slightly larger pot than the plant size should be chosen.
- Since the leaves will grow and open, it is recommended to choose large pots so that the roots can breathe more easily.
- Having a hole in the bottom of the pot will also be a good choice for ventilation.
How to Propagate Praying Flower?
- Praying flower reproduction is done with new shoots emerging from the root.
- Gently root the visible shoots and pour them into a glass.
- Fill water up to the roots. After a few days, you will see that the roots have sprouted well.
- Add mineral-rich soil to a new pot and plant the small shoot in its new pot.
- Give the life water with the help of a spray bottle and give it time to grow.
Praying Flower Types and Characteristics
Many types of prayer flowers attract attention with their features and patterns. Now let’s take a look at the types of prayer flowers.
- Calathea Ornata: It is a variety with long thin leaves among the prayer flower types. There are thin striped patterns that attract attention in stripes. Often a pale green color is noticeable.
- Calathea Orbifolia: Its leaves are large and round. It has white stripes and light green ground color. It is among the indispensable plants of interior spaces and living rooms.
- Calathea Louise: This type of prayer flower can grow up to about 80 centimeters in length. There are green stripes in two different tones, light and dark, on its leaf.
- Calathea Ecuatoriana: It is a species that grows in tropical moist mountain forests. The leaves are large and have dark green on the upper part and dark red on the lower part.
- Calathea Warscewiczii: It is a type of prayer flower with yellow and white flowers. Its leaves are broad and dark green in color.
- Calathea Veitchiana: It has the ability to grow in tropical climates. This type of prayer flower was discovered recently by a plant collector named Richard Pearce. It has become quite popular in recent years. Its leaves have patterns of light and dark green colors, reminiscent of the wings of a butterfly.
- Calathea Makoyana: It is a species that can grow up to about 45 centimeters. It has a pale pattern on the floor and dark green shapes that look like ink blots on it.
- Calathea Roseopicta: It has large round leaves. The lower part of the leaves is red in color, but the vein color is in pink-white tones. The leaf edges are silky, and it is a very preferred type in interior spaces. It can grow up to 50 centimeters. It is used for decoration.
- Calathea lancifolia: It grows up to 45 centimeters with thin, weak, and long leaves and is very easy to care for. The upper part of the leaves has a dark green pattern and the lower part has purple colors. Creates a green and purple transitional look.
Does Praying Flower Bring Wealth To The House It Is Found In?
- There is a belief that houses with prayer flowers will one day prosper. This belief is completely superstitious.
- The prayer flower controls the humidity balance of the house it is in and provides a pleasant appearance in the place.
- Since it is easy to maintain, it does not tire you and when you look at it, you will be filled with peace.
Does Praying Flower Bloom?
- Some types of prayer flowers, usually with transitional petals, bloom.
- Care should not be neglected for the flowering of the prayer flower.
- The Calathea Warscewiczii type flowers open and create a nice view in the pot.