Passion fruit: How to eat passion fruit or passion fruit?
The passion fruit or maracuya , is one of the most popular tropical fruits , but it is still little consumed as a natural fruit, the passion fruit is more present in ingredients as part of juices , nectars , desserts and sweets , because for years it has been This tropical fruit is also grown in Spain, especially in the cold months when it offers its best season. The closed fruit may seem inconspicuous, but when we open it we find all the juiciness of its pulp, its intense colors, its exotic, fresh, acidic and sweet aroma.
Passion fruit is rich in antioxidants , vitamins , mineral salts and fibers , which contribute to the proper functioning of the intestine and normalize cholesterol levels. This fruit is rich in vitamin C , so that it protects and strengthens the immune system by fighting free radicals. , as well as having a high content of vitamin A and beta-carotene , which are responsible for protecting eyesight and being good for the skin, also in terms of mineral salts, passion fruit has potassium, iron, copper, magnesium and phosphorus, being suitable for any type of food.
Passion fruit, how do you eat it?
To be able to enjoy the passion fruit as it should be, the ideal is to eat it fresh , so it should be cut more or less in half and then eat the pulp with a spoon, as it has a gelatinous and very juicy consistency, however purists they prefer to consume it as in the countries of origin, opening the fruit with their hands and eating the pulp without any cutlery.
As for how to know if the fruit of the passion fruit is ripe, it is enough to touch the skin and see that it is slightly wrinkled. In addition, this wonderful fruit has become one of the main ingredients to give an exotic touch to smoothies. cocktails and drinks, likewise, its sweet flavor makes it a perfect companion for preparing desserts, jams and even savory recipes.
The best thing about passion fruit is that thanks to its intense sweet flavor , it can be used to prepare different recipes, both sweet and savory, with sweet ones being a great success, since with it you can create a version of the most delicious desserts, such as a ice cream or a fruit cake , that is why it becomes the ideal food for all ages, especially for children and athletes.
Properties and benefits of passion fruit
The fruit of the passion fruit is similar in its nutritional properties to that of other tropical fruits, since it has a high caloric content and a high amount of water, fiber and vitamins, it is a fruit rich in carbohydrates in the form of natural sugars and fiber, in turn stands out for its content of antioxidant vitamins and in terms of minerals that its intake brings us, potassium , magnesium and phosphorus stand out . Its main health benefits are the following:
- Controls and prevents diabetes : The pulp and leaves of passion fruit are rich in antioxidants, such as beta-carotene, flavonoids, anthocyanins and vitamin C, in a way that favors the production of insulin , thus helping to control glucose levels in the body. the blood and in the prevention of diabetes, in addition its shell is rich in fiber such as pectin, which helps to slowly absorb the sugar consumed from different foods, allowing it to balance blood glucose levels .
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases : Thanks to the fact that this fruit contains large amounts of antioxidants, it benefits the health of the arteries and prevents the formation of free radicals, which prevents chronic diseases such as blood pressure, myocardial infarction and stroke, additionally promotes the reduced absorption of fats from food in the intestine, which can improve cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood.
- Reduces stress and anxiety : The passion fruit is capable of reducing the symptoms of stress and anxiety, since it is composed of flavonoids such as quercetin, which acts directly on the nervous system , calming and promoting relaxation.
- Promotes constipation : Passion fruit is able to combat constipation since it has good amounts of fiber, which is important to facilitate the formation of the fecal bolus, so that it helps in the elimination of feces , in addition to the pectin of the passion fruit peel. It works as food for the beneficial bacteria of the intestinal flora.
- Fights insomnia : The pulp, leaves and flowers of passion fruit have mild sedative properties of the central nervous system, in such a way that it helps fight insomnia, promoting calmer and more relaxing sleep , therefore the consumption of this Tropical fruit It greatly improves sleep problems.
It should be noted that there are different types of passion fruit, such as purple passion fruit, sweet and acid passion fruit, which differ in the color of the shell, the pulp and the flavor, likewise, the leaves, flowers and pulp, can be used in the form of tea or juice, and the best thing is that with the peel you can prepare flour to make different foods.