Mega sausage roll with ketchup
Mega sausage roll
I think a sausage roll is a delicious snack. But of course, it is not really a meal. That’s why I came up with a mega sausage roll this time! You can serve these in slices (delicious with homemade ketchup), or you can make it into a main course and serve with, for example, roasted vegetables.
The nice thing about my mega sausage roll is that you can eat it hot or cold. I often take it cold for a picnic and that is always a great success!
To make the mega sausage it is easy to work with a roll of puff pastry. If you can’t find it, you can also use the well-known square slices of puff pastry from the freezer. Then let them thaw, place them thinly on top of each other on a floured work surface and roll out into a single piece. Make sure the seams do close properly to prevent leakage while baking on the baking tray.
When baking the mega sausage roll, it is important that you do not set the oven too high, so that the bottom also has time to cook properly.
Mega sausage roll with ketchup recipe
Picnic dish for 8 people or a main dish for 4 people.
PREPARATION TIME: 1 hour CALORIES: 424 kcal
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed
- 500 g half-and-half minced meat
- 15 g panko
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp smooth mustard
- sea salt flakes and black pepper
- 1 roll of fresh puff pastry approx. 275 g; refrigerator compartment
- 1 tbsp seeds of your choice, e.g. moon, nigella or sesame seeds
- ketchup on the side
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C (convection 180 ° C). Beat 1 egg.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of neutral oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion in the oil for 5 minutes. Fry the garlic for 1 minute and turn off the heat. Scrape the onion mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Add the minced meat, panko, nutmeg, mustard, beaten egg, sea salt flakes and black pepper. Knead together with your hands and set aside.
- Wash your hands. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and brush the paper with a dash of oil. Place the rolled out puff pastry on the baking tray. Form a sausage from the minced meat mixture that is almost as long as the dough sheet.
- Beat the second egg. Brush the edges of the dough with beaten egg. Place the sausage on the dough sheet; leave an edge of 2 cm at both ends. Fold the ends of the dough inwards and roll the sausage into the dough sheet. Place the giant sausage roll seam down on the baking paper. Cut the top three times with a sharp knife. This will allow steam to escape from the bun and prevent the inside from getting soggy.
- Brush the outside of the dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the seeds. Bake the mega sausage roll for 50 minutes to 1 hour until golden brown and done in the oven.
- Slice the mega sausage roll and serve with ketchup. It tastes equally good hot, lukewarm and cold.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER SERVING
Calories: 424 kcal
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Protein: 15 g
Fat: 31 g
Saturated fats: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 85 mg
Sodium: 167 mg
Potassium: 267 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 61 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 45 mg
Iron: 3 mg
The stated nutritional value is based on standard tables and therefore an estimated total. No rights can be derived from the information in the nutritional table.