Making healthy smoothies: how do you do that?
Making healthy smoothies is easy and can help you add extra fruits and vegetables to your eating schedule. Especially in the spring or summer, a healthy smoothie can give you a refreshing energy boost. The nice thing about smoothies is that they are easy and fast, and that you can vary endlessly with ingredients. You can make healthy smoothies that are rich in nutrients and low in calories, which is ideal for weight loss. But you can also choose a smoothie recipe to gain weight more easily. What do you need to make healthy smoothies? What are healthy smoothie recipes for gaining or losing weight? You can read it in this blog!
What is a smoothie?
A smoothie is simply a liquid mixture of fruit with a base such as milk or yogurt. Of course, you can vary endlessly by adding extra ingredients, such as vegetables, nut butter or superfoods.
Because you put everything in the blender without filtering it, a smoothie retains all the vitamins, minerals and fiber of the individual ingredients. As a result, a smoothie is usually wonderfully creamy in texture. It also fills well thanks to the many fibers.
That lack of filter is the main difference from a juice. When you squeeze fruit or use a juicer, the “pulp” is separated from the juice. But it is precisely that pulp that contains all the fiber that makes a healthy smoothie so filling! Without those fibers you end up with a lot more fast sugars and a lot less satiety. That is why a smoothie is usually a better choice than a juice.
When is the best time to drink a smoothie?
You can vary endlessly with healthy smoothies, so you can use them at any time of the day. For those who often do not have time for breakfast in the morning or are not very hungry, it is an ideal solution. It is ready in three seconds, you can even take it with you on the go and it is easy to digest.
A smoothie for breakfast, full of fruits and vegetables, can give you a healthy boost to start the day. Those on a diet chooses a deliciously light version, and those who want to gain weight can turn it into a real calorie bomb. So something for everyone!
Healthy smoothies also give you the energy you need for a workout. Liquid food digests quickly so that you suffer less from it than if you were to eat a double sandwich. Even after exercise, a smoothie can be ideal to quickly replenish your energy. And with an extra scoop of protein you can recover from a tough workout to the maximum.
How do you make a healthy smoothie?
- Fruit: To make smoothies you can take fresh fruit or frozen. Frozen fruit naturally makes your smoothie colder, but also thicker.
- Liquid: Milk is usually taken as extra liquid. This can be any kind of milk, depending on what you like. Plant-based milk, for example, is a good option for those who eat vegan. But water can also serve as an extra basis.
- Vegetables: Because fruit contains a lot of fruit sugars, you can best supplement this with vegetables. Spinach can be used in almost any smoothie recipe. The same goes for many other leafy greens. They provide extra fiber and vitamins (and give your smoothie a nice green color).
- Extras: Depending on your goals, you can add extra herbs, superfoods or even proteins. You can also add your vitamin supplement to your smoothie. Some supplements are even better absorbed due to the sugars. And so you no longer have to swallow pills.
Making healthy smoothies for weight loss
Healthy smoothies do not have to be fattening. Above all, remember that you can use any healthy food on a weight loss diet as long as you stay within your recommended calorie intake!
Those who want to lose weight can make healthy smoothies as a meal replacement or as a healthy snack. If you take these tips into account, you will enjoy the maximum amount of nutrients and can limit your calorie intake.
- Choose a handful of fruit at most. Otherwise, you will soon consume too much fruit sugars.
- Opt for frozen fruit. That makes your smoothie deliciously thick and creamy, and then you no longer need nut butter or avocado for this.
- Milk as a base is certainly possible, but some recipes are also delicious with water.
- Uses a lot of vegetables! Vegetables are ideal for weight loss. They are low in calories and high in satiating fiber. The most commonly used vegetables are spinach, beetroot and cucumber. This blend easily. However, don’t make the mistake of blending carrots, for example. Unfortunately, that will not work.
- For extra protein you can use (low-fat) quark or yogurt, or protein powder. This immediately makes it extra satiating, and the proteins are important to maintain your muscle mass when you lose weight.
- Experiment with herbs to create different flavors. Instead of reaching for peanut butter, try cinnamon or gingerbread spices, for example. This also gives a nice taste that is reminiscent of pastries, without consuming extra calories.
Making healthy smoothies to gain weight
While smoothies are often used in a weight loss diet, they also come in handy in an eating plan to gain weight. Because smoothies are more easily digested than a set meal, you can use them for breakfast to absorb more calories, for example.
You can also take your smoothie as a complimentary meal during the day. Especially before or just after a workout, it is the ideal way to provide you with the necessary energy. Those who want to drink a smoothie to gain weight can use these tips:
- Use a high-calorie base, such as full-fat yogurt, cottage cheese, or coconut milk. They contain a lot of fat and provide a creamy structure. Yogurt and quark are also rich in proteins: ideal if you do strength training.
- Do not use refined sugars. They may contain a lot of calories, but they are at the expense of your health! If you want to add extra carbohydrates, for example, because for a quick recovery after a workout, fruit is usually sufficient.
- Nut butters or avocado are delicious additions that give you a lot of extra calories and give you a creamy texture.
- You can especially add protein powder in a smoothie for breakfast or after your workout.
Healthy smoothie recipes
Did you feel like making smoothies? Below are some delicious recipes to get you started! Vary well with the fruit you add, and especially experiment with extra seasonings. This way you will automatically find your ideal smoothie recipe.
- Pink breakfast smoothie
- Green smoothie with banana
- Spinach smoothie
- Oatmeal & banana breakfast smoothie
- Breakfast smoothie with raspberries and oatmeal
- Orange & raspberry yogurt smoothie
- Protein rich strawberry and beet smoothie