List of Foods Containing Omega 3
Contrary to popular belief, omega 3 cannot be produced by our body. This fat, which has an important role in body health, must be taken through food. There are 3 types of omega 3 fatty acids. These; EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid), DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) and ALA (Alpha-linolenic acid).
What’s In Omega 3?
- Soybean and Soybean Oil
- Flaxseed and Flaxseed Oil
- Canola Oil
Before answering the question “Which foods contain Omega 3”, let’s get to know these important fatty acids a little better! ALA is the type of omega 3 in nutrients derived from the soil. Flaxseed and vegetable oil sources are good examples of ALA. ALA is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women. EPA is a type of omega 3 derived from plants grown in the sea.
Foods grown in soil do not contain EPA. EPA is the second important and essential fatty acid type for the human body. DHA, on the other hand, is a type of omega 3 fat found in many creatures in the sea. It is the most important and necessary fatty acid for the human body.
The question of “What’s in the omega 3 vitamin” is often asked. First of all, we would like to fix a mistake. Omega 3 is not a type of vitamin, it is a type of fat. So what is found in omega 3 which foods you know? Let’s examine it together! Here are the foods that contain omega 3:
What’s In Omega 3? 8 Superfoods
- Fish is at the top of our list of foods with omega 3.
- Fish meat is very rich in omega 3. Eating fish twice a week is enough to meet the omega 3 needed by the body.
- So which fish have omega 3?
- Although omega 3 is found in all sea creatures, especially cold water fish contain plenty of DHA and EPA.
- Salmon, sardines and tuna are fish species rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
- However, large and deep-swimming fish such as tuna, mackerel and swordfish may contain high levels of mercury due to environmental pollution.
- For this reason, we recommend that you prefer fish such as bluefish, horse mackerel, sea bream, geranium, and sea bass instead of large fish.
- We continue the list of omega 3 foods with walnuts.
- Walnut, which has an important role in brain development, is one of the best omega 3 sources. A person who eats 5 walnuts a day on average will meet 80-85 percent of omega 3 that the body needs.
- Walnut is a much more useful nut in terms of nutritional value compared to other dried nuts.
- We recommend that you include walnuts in your daily diet.
3) Chia Seed
- Almost 30 percent of its content consists of healthy fats, chia seeds are an important source of omega 3.
- However, since the omega 3 it contains is of vegetable origin, it cannot be used efficiently in the body.
- One tablespoon of chia seeds contains 2,457 mg of omega 3.
4) Soybean and Soybean Oil
- Soybeans and soybean oil derived from this nutrient are rich in omega 3.
- 100 grams of soybeans contain 361 mg of omega 3.
- Soybeans have a type of omega 3 fatty acid, ALA, which is particularly beneficial for heart health.
5) Flaxseed and Flaxseed Oil
- We continue to search for answers to the question “What does Omega 3 contain”.
- Flaxseed is rich in ALA, one of the omega 3 fatty acids.
- 8 grams of flaxseed contains 1800 mg of omega 3. This rate is enough to meet your body’s daily omega 3 needs on its own!
- As a source of omega 3, you can use flaxseed oil as well as flaxseed.
- One tablespoon of flaxseed oil contains 8000 mg of omega 3 fatty acids.
- As can be seen from the numbers, the omega 3 ratio of flaxseed oil is much higher than flaxseed.
6) Canola Oil
- Canola oil has ALA, one of the types of omega 3 fats. For this reason, it is among the healthy fats that should be taken especially during the diet period.
- Canola oil is also rich in vitamins E and K.
- Experts recommend choosing canola oil instead of sunflower oil.
- Super fruit avocado is extremely beneficial for health thanks to the vitamins, minerals and components it contains.
- This fruit, which contains vitamins A, B, E, contains high potassium.
- Avocados are also valuable in terms of omega 3.
- For a healthy life, you should make more room for avocado in your diet.
- 100 grams of purslane contains 361 mg of omega 3.
- Thanks to its nutritional value, purslane has an important place in the nutrition plan.
- It strengthens immunity. It is beneficial for brain, digestion and bone health.
- This low-calorie vegetable can also be consumed during the diet process.