How to wok pak choi? Several ways
The vegetable pak choi is for sale all year round and it is related to the Chinese cabbage. Pak choi is therefore a type of cabbage that is gaining popularity in the Netherlands. Pak choi is often used in the wok in Asia. And that’s what this blog is about; How to stir-fry pak choi?
First cut and wash pak choi. Then add the basic ingredients to the wok and stir fry for 1 minute. Then stir fry the white pak choi for 4 minutes. Then add the green pak choi (leaves) and sauce and stir fry for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
There are also other ways to prepare bok choy. You can read this in our blog ‘How to Prepare Paksoy?’. Everything about preparing bok choy; from cooking and stewing to roasting.
In this blog, we will only talk about stir-frying pak choi. Before we can stir-fry it, we first have to cut and wash the pak choi.
Bok Choy Cutting
First, we cut the bottom of the stump. Cut the bok choy lengthwise in the middle on a cutting board. Now the leaves can be seen on the inside and they are easy to rinse. Rinse the stems well so that all the sand washes away.
Cut the hard piece out of the middle of the pak choi if necessary. Place the pak choi with the flat side on the cutting board and cut the pak choi horizontally into thin strips. The thicker the strips, the longer the cooking time.
During your work in the kitchen, good and sharp knives are essential. This makes work fun and easy.
Bok choy Stir-fry
Wok or stir-fry? Stir-frying or stir-frying, it is used interchangeably. Pak choi is an easy vegetable that likes to be stir-fried. In this blog, we will give several recipes for stir-frying pak choi.
However, you can be very flexible with these recipes. You don’t have to follow them strictly. If you don’t have an ingredient listed, look around your kitchen or refrigerator to see what you can substitute. Bok choy goes very well with many other vegetables and herbs.
Do you want to know more about the seasoning of pak choi, read our blog ‘ Which Herbs With Paksoy? ‘ and you always have tasty pak choi.
Pak choi Wok Oyster sauce
One way to stir-fry pak choi is with oyster sauce. However, this is often difficult to obtain in the store and it has a distinct taste. To make the dish more accessible, we replace the oyster sauce with soy sauce with a little bit of sugar. As delicious as!
What do you need for 4 people:
- 1 pak choi, sliced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pepper
- 1 cm ginger, peeled and chopped.
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- sesame seeds
The method of preparation of the pak choi is as follows:
- Place the wok on the heat source with the sunflower oil and heat the oil.
- Then fry the onion, ginger and garlic for a while.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar and pepper and mix well.
- Then the white pieces of pak choi and the mushrooms go into the wok and after 2-3 minutes the green leaves can be added.
- Taste to see if your dish is tasty. Now is the time to add extra pepper, salt, sugar or soy. Try again.
- When it is to taste, serve with sesame seeds and your dish is ready.
This quick and easy bok choy recipe is delicious as a side dish with rice or noodles.
Bok Choy Stir-Fry With Mushrooms
Mushrooms and pak choi are a nice combination in terms of taste but also in terms of presentation; it looks very nice on your plate. We replace the normal mushrooms for chestnut mushrooms. These have just a little more flavor. For 4 people you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 large pak choi, sliced
- 250 grams of sliced chestnut mushrooms, white is also allowed
- 1 cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated/sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 spring onions, sliced
To prepare this delicious bok choy recipe we need to go through the following steps:
- Place the wok with the oil on the heat source and heat the oil
- Saute the garlic and ginger in the wok
- Add the mushrooms and stir fry for 5 minutes minuten
- Then add the white pak choi, together with the soy sauce and soy sauce
- Stir fry for 4 minutes
- Finally, the spring onions and the green pak choi go into the wok.
- When the green pak choi has shrunk well, it’s ready
You can eat this dish with potatoes, rice or pasta. A baked potato is also a tasty addition.
Bok choy Stir-fry Ketjap
Bok choy is commonly eaten in Asia. When you think of Asia, you think of ketjap manis. And yes, it is easy to prepare and delicious. With few ingredients you can put a delicious dish on the table. For 4 people you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 large stump of pak choi, about 700 grams coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp ginger powder or 1 cm fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- salt and pepper
Preparing this dish is done in no time.
- Place the frying pan or wok, together with the oil, on the heat source and heat the oil
- Saute the garlic and ginger (powder) in it
- Add the white pieces of the pak choi and wok for about 4 minutes
- Then the soy sauce and green parts of the pak choi go into the wok
- Stir-fry this for about 2 minutes so that the green leaves shrink
- Then taste. If you like it you’re done, otherwise now is the time to season your dish with soy sauce, salt and pepper.
You can serve this easy dish with potatoes or rice. Noodles are of course also possible.
Pak choi Wok Soy sauce
Soy sauce alone is sufficient to give the pak choi taste. For the firm ‘bite’ we also use bell pepper and zucchini. You will taste that this is a delicious combination. What do you need for 4 people?
- 1 head pak choi, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 250 gr. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- pinch of sugar
We now proceed as follows to prepare this dish:
- put the wok on the sauté pan, together with the oil on the heat source and heat the oil.
- Fry the chopped bell pepper and garlic in the wok.
- Add the zucchini and mushrooms and wok for about 2 minutes
- Then add the white pak choi and stir fry for 3 minutes
- Then add the green leaves and the soy sauce and stir everything together.
- Your dish is ready when the green leaves have shrunk well.
- You can now season it with salt and pepper, but taste it first! Is it tasty? Then you’re done, add another soy, salt and pepper and stir everything together again.
This dish is also delicious with fried potatoes, rice or noodles. It just depends on what your preference is.
This was the last recipe for stir-frying bok choy.