How to repair cracked heels with home care?
It is important to pay attention to these cracks so that they do not evolve into a larger problem.
The heels are one of the areas of the body where the skin dries out the most. Consequently, calluses and cracks can form in that place that can cause discomfort for those who suffer from them.
According to the Medline Plus medical encyclopedia, corns are caused by pressure or friction on the skin. “A callus is thickened skin that forms on the top or one side of a toe. Most of the time it is caused by ill-fitting shoes. A callus is thickened skin on the hands or on the soles of the feet ”, he specifies.
It is important to pay attention to this area because it can worsen over time if timely treatment is not carried out. In case of presenting cracked heels, a doctor should be consulted to receive adequate attention and to know the care at home that must be taken.
The risk is that the cracks in the heels can increase in size and depth, in turn increasing the risk of developing an infection . Likewise, it can give way to other symptoms, such as pain and discomfort when walking.
Basic and home care
In general, cracked heels do not constitute a serious medical problem, however, it is advisable not to underestimate them and give them adequate treatment to prevent them from becoming a more complex problem.
Mayo Clinic, a non-profit entity dedicated to medical practice, reviews on its website how to treat cracked heels to eliminate them, benefiting the health of the skin in that part of the body.
- Soak the feet for about 10 minutes in plain or soapy water and dry them with gentle blows, without rubbing the towel.
- Gently scrub your heels with a loofah or rasp to remove dead skin.
- Apply a thicker oil-based cream or Vaseline.
- Wear a pair of thin cotton socks at bedtime to help the moisturizer take effect.
With these simple steps it will be possible to moisturize the heels and, over time, completely eliminate the annoying cracks.
The homemade ingredient to eliminate cracked heels
In general, when living in a cold climate, the feet are frequently discovered only when traveling to a temperate or warm climate, but the idea is not to wait until then to take care of this part of the body. The area of the feet that is most vulnerable to cracks, dryness and hardness are the heels.
Because it is a fairly common complication, portals such as Mejor con Salud have reviewed home remedies that help improve the appearance of the skin and combat the condition.
- ½ cup of organic coconut oil (100 g).
- Three tablespoons of coarse salt (36 g).
- Glass jar with lid.
- Silicone or wooden utensil.
- In a container add the organic coconut oil.
- Add the salt and stir very well so that the ingredients are well integrated.
- Let stand for several hours.
- At night, rinse feet with soap and water.
- Apply the scrub in the area, performing a gentle massage in the area to remove calluses.
- Let the exfoliant act for half an hour and immerse them in warm water.
- Massage the feet for another 10 minutes.
- Dry very well and apply moisturizer.
- Repeat this procedure at least four times a week to remove calluses.
Vaseline and lemon to avoid cracked heels:
There are several natural and cheap ways to give back to this area, feet, the hydration and softness that should characterize them. The OneHowTo health, beauty and personal care portal provides the recipe for a Vaseline-based home remedy that will restore the vitality and softness to the skin of the feet that it deserves.
Before its application, it is recommended to validate that no type of adverse reaction is generated to the products that will be used to prepare the home remedy.
- Mix a tablespoon of petroleum jelly with 5 drops of lemon juice in a clean, dry container.
- Clean feet well with plenty of water at room temperature. Later, dry them.
- Apply the ointment, making sure that it penetrates well into the cracks in the skin, especially those that are present on the heels.
- Massage the heels with the mixture so that it is well absorbed.
- Leave your feet in the open air for 20 minutes and then put on clean cotton stockings.
- Let the mixture work overnight and repeat the process in the morning.