How to Quit Nail Biting? 5 Natural Remedies
Nail-biting disease, defined by experts as onychophagia, usually occurs when psychological problems are suppressed. If the person is going through a stressful period and is in anxiety, they will consciously or unconsciously bite their nails and spit. According to the cases seen in some patients, the nails are eaten after being bitten. Therapy and medical support are recommended to overcome this problem.
Nail-biting is more common in children older than 3 years of age. These children imitate if there is someone around them biting their nails. Nail-biting disease, which is also experienced during adolescence, is expressed as a problem experienced by people under stress.
Tense people who want to suppress their angry moments or individuals who feel lonely while struggling with their problems tend to bite their nails. In such cases, if the person is willing to stop biting their nails, psychological support should be provided.
Nail-biting treatment is one of the possible diseases and it should not be too late for treatment. In addition to medical support, herbal solutions are also applied. Now we will talk about nail-biting solutions for those who want to stop biting their nails. Thanks to the information in this article, the question of how to quit the habit of nail-biting will be resolved.
How to Quit Nail Biting? 5 Natural Remedies
1) Garlic and Lemon
- Prepare lemon water with garlic to help your nails grow healthier and stop biting nails.
- Soak and remove your nails in this water during the day.
- You will stop biting your nails thanks to the smell that comes when you put your nails in your mouth.
- In addition, this mixture will help strengthen and nourish your nails; It will also repair previously bitten and deformed nails.
2) Tea Tree Oil
- You can use tea tree oil to make your nails look better and stop eating habits.
- Apply tea tree oil to your nails overnight. When you apply it this way, you will get away from biting your nails in a short time during sleep.
- Tea tree oil is vegetable oil with a bitter aroma. When you bring it close for food, you will immediately give up the action because of its smell.
- With regular use, you will repair your nails and get rid of this habit.
3) Licorice Root
- If nail biting has occurred due to psychological problems; Do not miss the licorice root from home.
- Licorice root will warn those who want to bite their nails and will save them from this situation.
- You can start chewing licorice root, which is divided into very small pieces in the morning and evening.
- Thanks to this method, your nails will regain their former health.
- People may want to bite their nails due to emotional and psychological emptiness. To prevent such situations; You can try things that keep your mouth busy. Like gum.
- You can stay away from biting your nails by chewing gum. You can also stop finding yourself biting nails because of gum stress.
- By chewing flavored gums, you will both work your jaw muscles and stop biting your nails.
5) Chamomile Tea
- If you find yourself biting nails in stressful moments; You can consume herbal teas that will relax your soul.
- Thanks to chamomile tea, you can prevent any stressful situation that bothers you.
- You can cut the habit of nail-biting by consuming 2 cups of chamomile tea during the day.
What are the Harms of Nail Biting?
Nail-biting is a very harmful habit. It is not a permanent disease. Treatment is possible and at the end of the treatment, the person gets a productive result. The harms of nail-biting to your body are listed as follows:
- Since bacteria accumulate between the nails, the likelihood of oral diseases increases.
- Intraoral infectious diseases are more common.
- As a result of nail-biting, the shape of the nails is deformed and inflammation occurs in the skin.
- It threatens dental health by damaging the structure of the teeth.
- Causes intestinal parasites to multiply.
- It creates a bad look on the hand.
- The nail has a structure that cannot be digested by the stomach. This has consequences for the stomach.
- If you continue to bite nails; You’re putting your trachea at risk. Because when the nail goes into the trachea, it can also cause coughing-related crises.
Nail Biting Causes: Which Vitamin Deficiency?
When experts investigate the sociological and psychological structure of nail-biters, they observe various factors. In some, it occurs due to vitamin deficiency; some suffer from mental illness. Well, nail-biting becomes a habit due to which vitamin deficiency or what condition? Now you will see the answers to these questions.
- Nail-biting habit, which is caused by vitamin deficiency, is more common in people with iron and B12 deficiency.
- Anxiety and stress drive people into this habit.
- People who are in fear and anxiety begin to bite their nails to suppress their emotions.
- It has been observed that people who cannot solve their problems by talking and throw them into it often bite their nails.
- It has been determined that women and men who have been subjected to domestic violence or who have been subjected to psychological violence bite their nails.
- Students and adults with attention deficits bite their nails. This situation is usually observed in the minutes when the focus problem starts.