How To Prepare Eggplant In Oven?
The aubergine is a refined vegetable with a very soft and creamy taste. It therefore fits in many dishes, including casseroles. And that’s what this blog is about; oven baked eggplant. From simple to slightly more difficult, but you can always prepare it yourself at home.
First clean and cut the eggplant. Cut other ingredients and often fry them first. Then grease the baking dish and decorate with your dish. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 10 -45 minutes depending on your dish.
In this blog several recipes are given for preparing an aubergine casserole. The dishes differ in ingredients and spices, but the preparation is usually the same.
Do you want to read more about preparing eggplant? Then read our blog ‘ How to Cut and Prepare Eggplant? ‘, everything is discussed here from grilling to baking and much more.
Eggplant is often encountered in Italian cuisine. Many oven dishes with eggplant therefore contain tomato and cheese.
Making a casserole starts with cleaning and cutting the aubergine. We will discuss this first.
You can cut the eggplant in different ways, slices, cubes or strips. Every cutting method can be used, it depends on which dish you are going to prepare.
The eggplant is first washed under the tap and dirt is removed. Then we can peel the eggplant with a vegetable peeler. This is not necessary, because you can also eat the peel.
Then both ends of the aubergine are cut. After this we can choose for short slices or long slices. If you want long slices, cut the aubergine lengthwise. If you want cubes, you can cut these slices into cubes or strips.
For the preparation of aubergine from the oven it is nice to have some instructions and that is why below are a number of recipes with other ingredients and herbs.
It is possible that you do not have one of these ingredients at home. No problem! Cooking is also about discovering and using your own creativity. Do you have something not in your fridge? Then see what you do have and what you can possibly add. The aubergine is such an easy vegetable to use in a casserole that it is almost impossible to go wrong.
Just try it and use your own ideas if something isn’t in the fridge. Good luck!
Eggplant In Oven
The easiest way to cook eggplant in the oven is just the eggplant with herbs. Easy to make and tasty. For 4 people you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 – 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 3 tbsp mild olive oil
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- Little agave syrup
We prepare as follows:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Crush the garlic and mix it with the olive oil.
- Take a sheet of baking paper and place it on the oven tray.
- Cut the aubergine into slices or cubes and place on the baking tray.
- Brush the aubergine with olive oil, sprinkle with pepper and thyme.
- Sprinkle the aubergine with a little agave syrup or a little bit of another sweetener such as brown sugar
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until you have a nice golden brown crust. Pierce the aubergine with a fork to check for doneness. The fork should go in easily.
Even without the agave syrup or sugar, this is a delicious dish.
Serve the eggplant immediately on a plate. Enjoy your meal.
Eggplant In the Oven Tomato
The first aubergine casserole is a tomato casserole. Delicious with vegan cheese and tasty herbs. For 4 people you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 aubergines, sliced about 1 cm thick
- 1 – 2 can(s) diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed pepper
- 2 tbsp Provencal or Italian herbs
- a few drops of tabasco or a little sambal or chili powder
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- pepper and salt
We prepare as follows:
- Slice the eggplant. Watch the video above for this.
- Preheat the oven to the grill setting.
- Place the aubergine slices on baking paper on the oven tray and drizzle with a little oil.
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven and grill the aubergine. When they turn brown, remove the aubergine from the oven. Takes about 5-8 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the tomato cubes in a large bowl and add all the herbs and seasonings and stir well.
- Place the aubergine slices in the oven dish and then pour the tomato sauce over them. If you have a lot left over, you can also build it up in layers. 1 layer of aubergine, tomato sauce, 1 layer of aubergine, … Sprinkle with a little oil foil, pepper and possibly salt.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake it for about 30 minutes
Now you have a delicious eggplant from the oven with tomato sauce. Delicious with pasta.
Stuffed Eggplant From The Oven
Stuffed eggplant from the oven is also a delicacy. More work but great fun to make and serve (the eye also wants something). For 4 people you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 aubergines, halved and hollowed out
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes, halved,
- 200 milliliters vega crème faîche from, for example, Oatly
- 2 pieces grilled pointed pepper or regular pepper
- pepper and salt
We prepare as follows:
- Remove the ends of the aubergine and halve the aubergine lengthwise. Then scoop out the aubergine with a spoon, but make sure that half a centimeter of flesh remains.
- Place a frying pan on the heat source with some oil and fry the onion. Then add the garlic, diced bell pepper, basil and flesh of the eggplant to the pan and fry gently for 8 minutes. Save a few basil leaves for decoration.
- Now stir the vegan crème faîche through the mixture and add salt and pepper.
- Now fill the halved aubergine with this mixture.
- Grease a baking dish and place the aubergine in it.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven (200 degrees) and bake the aubergine for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and serve the aubergine with the basil leaves.
Delicious stuffed aubergine that goes well with baked potatoes.
Eggplant Zucchini Oven
Eggplant and zucchini are two vegetables that go very well together in an oven dish. Especially if paprika is added to it. Very easy to make without much fuss. The following ingredients are needed for 4 people:
- 1 Zucchini, cubed
- 1 Eggplant, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves Fresh garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For example, do you not have bell peppers at home but do have carrots? Then take this one. You can use a lot of vegetables in this casserole. Look at what you have in your fridge and if you think it fits, you can use it.
To prepare, we do the following:
- Cut the vegetables into coarse pieces and preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place all vegetables in a large bowl. Press the garlic, zip the leaves of the thyme and stir this through all the vegetables.
- Add pepper and possibly salt. Add the olive oil to the vegetables and mix everything well.
- Put the vegetables in an oven dish and put the dish in the oven.
- Stir the vegetables every 10 minutes and leave the dish in the oven for 45 minutes.
- To check if your casserole is ready, pierce a bell pepper with a fork. If the fork goes in easily, it’s done.
Serve this casserole with boiled or baked potatoes. Enjoy your meal.