How To Make Gnocchi | Gnocchi Recipes
How to Make Gnocchi? Gnocchi is a dish made from potato and flour. In this blog, we will tell you easy and delicious Gnocchi recipes. These are traditionally the only two ingredients. It is mainly a dish that we know from Italian cuisine. Gnocchi is popularly referred to as pasta.
How To Make Gnocchi?
- Boil unpeeled potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skin and mash them finely.
- Sprinkle your work surface with flour and then the puree.
- Knead the puree with the flour into a dough.
- Make strands of the dough and then cubes.
- Stripe with a fork, cook the gnocchi for 2 – 6 minutes.
In short, this is the way to make gnocchi. A more extensive explanation and many questions about gnocchi are given in this blog.
What Is Gnocchi?
As mentioned in the introduction, gnocchi is a potato/flour dish. These are the only two ingredients. Salt and pepper are added to flavor the gnocchi. The potatoes are boiled unpeeled, then peeled and mashed. Then rolled in the flour and formed into small cubes. This is the explanation of how to make gnocchi at lightning speed.
You can buy ready-made gnocchi in the supermarket, but making your own is so much fun. Especially if you like cooking.
Is Gnocchi Gluten Free
Gnocchi is made from potato, which is gluten free. Then it is processed with flour. This is often not gluten-free. When you buy ready-made gnocchi in the supermarket, look on the packaging for the information about gluten.
When you make it yourself, you can use gluten-free flour and make your own gluten-free gnocchi.
We also wrote a blog about the difference between flour and flour; ” What is the difference between flour and flour? If you don’t know this, I highly recommend reading this article.
Is Gnocchi Pasta?
Gnocchi is very often referred to as pasta. However, pasta is made from the Durrum wheat and gnocchi is made from potatoes. Technically it’s not pasta, but people call it a pasta and this is now well established.
Then how do you make gnocchi yourself?
Making gnocchi is fun and easy to do. It takes some work, but making your own fresh gnocchi is so tasty and healthy. You know yourself what ingredients you use.
The basic recipe consists of two ingredients, namely potatoes and flour. Salt and pepper are added to flavor the gnocchi.
Often other ingredients are also used to give gnocchi your own personal twist, such as paprika, basil, Provencal herbs. Think about what to add or make the traditional gnocchi with potatoes and flour.
Gnocchi Recipe: Make your own gnocchi
Making gnocchi is as follows and take the following amounts for the ingredients:
- 1 kg potatoes
- 275 grams of flour
- Salt and pepper
For the correct preparation we have to go through the following steps:
- Clean the potato well under the tap.
- Place a pan of water on the heat source and bring the water to a boil.
- Then the potatoes go into the pan and bring the water back to a boil. Let the potatoes cook for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in the colander and let cool until you can hold them.
- Remove the skin from the potatoes. This is now very easy.
- Now mash the potatoes with a pestle.
- Now sprinkle some flour on your work surface and put the puree on it.
- Add some salt and possibly pepper and start kneading the puree. You will notice that it will start to form a dough.
- Add more flour and keep kneading, turning the dough over regularly and keep kneading until it is a compact mass.
- Now roll strands of the dough, the thickness is entirely up to you.
- Now cut off pieces of the stems to form a square and press the ends in with a fork. This creates ridges that the sauce can adhere to.
- You can also roll them off the tines of the fork.
After this rolling you are basically done. Let the gnocchi rest for at least 20 minutes. Now you have made gnocchi. This is the basis of many tasty dishes with sauce. We just need to further process the gnocchi and that is cooking.
Easy Gnocchi Recipe
The gnocchi that has rested for 20 minutes can now be cooked. We do this as follows:
- Bring a pan with plenty of water and a pinch of salt to the boil.
- When the water boils, the gnocchi goes into the pan.
- Bring the water back to a boil.
- After a while, the gnocchi will float. Leave them in the pan for 1 minute.
- Remove them from the water with a slotted spoon and let them drain briefly in the colander. Cover them now to keep them warm.
The gnocchi is ready to come together with the sauce or other ingredients you made. Enjoy your meal.
Gnocchi Cooking Or Baking
The cooked gnocchi is ready and ready to eat. However, the gnocchi is increasingly also baked. This gives the gnocchi a nice hard crust.
- Place a frying pan or large frying pan on the heat source with some oil.
- Heat the oil. When it is warm, the gnocchi goes into the frying pan.
- Turn the gnocchi over so they don’t burn and turn the heat to medium.
- When the gnocchi turns brown, remove them from the frying pan and serve them.
We have written an entire blog about baking gnocchi; ” How to bake Gnocchi? tells you all about it.
Sure, you’re making too many gnocchi. That always happens to me too. No worries! Gnocchi can be frozen and stored very well. Don’t put them in a big bag, though, because then the gnocchi will stick together and this is difficult if you want to process it again later.
Place the gnocchi side by side on a large platter or tray and slide them into the freezer. When they are frozen, you can put them per portion in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer. Think of portions the size of 200 grams.
You can put the frozen gnocchi in boiling water straight from the freezer later. The water has to boil otherwise the taste will deteriorate very quickly.
The gnocchi is ready and can now be served with a sauce. Think of traditional pasta sauce or pesto. Finish your dish with vegan cheese and decorate with basil leaves.
You have now made your own tasty fresh gnocchi. I hope you like it!