How to Cook Asparagus? That’s easy and delicious.
How to cook asparagus? Cut off the bottom of the white asparagus and peel the asparagus with a vegetable peeler. Cut the asparagus into 2-3 cm pieces. Heat oil in the wok and fry the asparagus on medium-high for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Season with salt and pepper.
Asparagus is available in two varieties, white or green asparagus. The white asparagus grow underground and never see daylight. The green asparagus is allowed to continue to grow and see daylight. Most asparagus is boiled, but stir-frying is also very tasty. But how can you stir-fry asparagus?
Do you have leftover asparagus, baked or fresh? Read our blog ‘ How to Store Asparagus? ‘. This way you always have fresh asparagus and you immediately know how to store your prepared asparagus. But first we are going to stir fry asparagus. In this blog, we stir-fry the white asparagus. For green asparagus, you can read our other blog ‘How to Wokken Green Asparagus?’.
Cook White Asparagus
If you want to stir-fry well, a wok with a wide rising edge and a solid bottom is recommended.
The white asparagus are also called white gold and have a very soft taste. Before you stir-fry the asparagus, the asparagus must first be cleaned.
Cut off 2 cm from the bottom of the asparagus and use a vegetable peeler to peel the asparagus from the bottom of the head, these are soft and do not need to be peeled. All the woody pieces of the asparagus have now been removed and only the tasty asparagus remains. Wash the asparagus briefly under the tap and dry them with a clean tea towel or kitchen paper.
Then cut the asparagus into pieces of 2-3 centimeters. This way the asparagus has the same cooking time.
Asparagus can be stir-fried with many other ingredients and vegetables. Now we only stir-fry the asparagus, because then you will taste the nice soft taste of the asparagus. What are you going to do?
- Put a little vegetable butter in the wok and heat it over medium heat.
- Then put the asparagus pieces in the wok and stir regularly in the wok, so that they can cook evenly and brown.
- Now stir-fry the asparagus for 10 minutes. They are now soft but still have a ‘bite’. If you want them softer, you have to stir-fry them a little longer. Pierce the asparagus with a fork to check for doneness.
- Season the asparagus with salt and pepper if desired.
The asparagus can now be served and are delicious with boiled or baked potatoes.
Asparagus Wok Balsamic
As I mentioned, you can combine endlessly with asparagus. Add other ingredients and vegetables such as garlic and mushrooms. I’m doing it today with balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar and asparagus go very well together and is a delicious flavor combination, especially when you also add cherry tomatoes.
Asparagus can be stir-fried with many other ingredients and vegetables. Now we only stir-fry the asparagus, because then you will taste the nice soft taste of the asparagus. What are you going to do and what do you need for two people?
- 500 grams of white asparagus
- 100 grams cherry tomatoes
- Bunch of chives
- sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper
What are you going to do in the kitchen?
- Clean the asparagus. Remove the bottom and peel the asparagus with a vegetable peeler. Then cut the asparagus into 2-3 cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in the wok and then add the asparagus. Turn the heat source to the highest setting and keep stirring the pan. Bake the asparagus for 3 minutes.
- Then add the balsamic vinegar to the asparagus and let it evaporate.
- When the Balsamic has evaporated, add the cherry tomatoes and the chopped chives. Stir and add a little salt and pepper.
- Fry the asparagus for about 1 minute and then they are ready to serve.
This dish is best served on a bed of pasta. This way you get tasty Italian-prepared asparagus.
Asparagus Wok Pasta
Since asparagus with pasta is a really nice combination, below is a recipe for creamy asparagus wok with pasta. What do you need for two people?
- 500 grams of white asparagus
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 packs of (alpro) soy cream cuisine
- 1 cube of vegetable stock
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- sunflower oil
- Pasta of your choice
What are you going to do?
- Prepare the correct amount of pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Cut off the bottom of the asparagus and peel the asparagus with a vegetable peeler, as described above. Cut the asparagus into 2-3 cm pieces.
- Put the oil in the wok and heat it up. Then add the shallots and sauté them.
- Add the asparagus and 4 tablespoons of water and let the asparagus cook with the lid on the wok for 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally in the pan. If it gets too dry, you can add some more water.
- Crumble the vegetable stock cube in the pan and stir well again.
- Then add one and a half pack of soy cream and the cooked pasta and stir everything together. Bake the whole thing for 2 more minutes. Now you can decide for yourself whether you want to make it even creamier.
- Season with salt and pepper and decorate with the parsley.
You now have a delicious, creamy Italian asparagus dish from the wok. Enjoy your meal.