Gelatin: the powerful benefits of consuming this food
One of the benefits of gelatin is that it helps protect the immune system.
Gelatin is a protein that contains animal collagen, usually from cows and pigs. According to the US National Library of Medicine, Medline Plus , collagen is one of the materials that make up cartilage, bone, and skin. Therefore, consuming gelatin increases the production of this essential substance in the body.
This product is normally used to make jams, ice creams, yogurts, gummy candies, marshmallows and also some types of sauces. Moreover, they can be found as part of some cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
To know the benefits of this product, the Mejor con Salud magazine announces some of them:
- Control weight: thanks to its high fiber and protein content, it is an ideal food to keep the body satisfied and eliminate cravings for sweet foods. Many nutritionists recommend gelatin as a substitute for sweets, combining them with fruits or other healthy ingredients.
- Accelerates the wound healing process: protein consumption is very important during the wound healing process. In addition, there is an amino acid called glycine that is linked to the reduction of inflammation in the affected area. By consuming gelatin, as such, the body receives a good dose of this substance that regenerates the skin and healing takes less time.
- Keeps nails, hair and skin strong: thanks to the keratin contained in this product, various parts of the body can be kept healthy, including nails and skin. Only one serving of this food should be consumed daily in order to receive all its benefits.
- Protects bones and joints: the proteins in gelatin, along with selenium, phosphorus and copper, help maintain healthy bones and also increase the body’s bone mineral density. This means that degenerative diseases such as osteoporosis do not appear over the years. Likewise, the amino acids in this product reduce inflammation that affects the joints and helps to develop cartilage.
- Improves sleep: specifically, the glycine contained in gelatin is related to the improvement of sleep cycles. This chemical stimulates certain neurotransmitters and enzymes that increase the duration and quality of sleep . Therefore, gelatin helps to recover energy and have a quality sleep.
- Fights aging: this is one of the most powerful benefits of gelatin, since it contains dry collagen, a substance that helps increase the elasticity and tension of skin cells.
- Improves digestive health: particularly, an essay published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences indicates that gelatin fibers help prevent intestinal pathologies. Therefore, if the habit of eating gelatin is adopted with some frequency, problems such as constipation and the inability to absorb nutrients can be reduced.
- Relieves Allergies: According to Mejor con Salud magazine , “many allergies are attributed to having a “leaky” gut that is unable to process certain substances. In addition to solving the problem that afflicts your digestive tract, eating gelatin will cure certain problems caused by allergies .
- Stimulates the immune system: proline is one of the amino acids contained in gelatin. This chemical is related to improving the immune function of humans and animals. Therefore, eating gelatin improves the ability to fight various infections and diseases, also increases the body’s defenses.
It is worth mentioning that gelatin is a product that may have some contraindications, including bloating and stomach pain if consumed in excess. Therefore, it is important to consume in moderate amounts and combine them with healthy products such as fruit, yogurt or other foods.