Fried rice pudding with apricots
Fried rice pudding
Rice pudding is a crazy dish. If you search, you can find it in almost all countries in the world, but most of all in South America. I already shared the recipe for Rice with milk before.
And probably many of you have grown up with things like rice pudding or rice pudding. I do not believe that it is very popular in the Netherlands, but that will change with this recipe for a fried rice pudding. It is based on a recipe I came across in my search for Czech recipes, but I made another variant of it. And oh guys, this one is so good!
The combination of the crispy fried layer of the fried rice pudding in combination with the sweet apricots and on top of that delicious meringue … That is really worth making for a special occasion.
Making the fried rice pudding
To make this delicious dessert you start by making the rice pudding yourself. I use basmati rice for this, but tasty pandan rice is also fine. Depending on your preference and the contents of your pantry. It is important to first rinse the rice well under cold running water, then put it on with the almond milk and bring it to a boil.
Let it cook for as long as necessary to make it a nice creamy whole. The rice should be soft (so when you eat grain you shouldn’t have a chalky sensation) and blend with the milk.
Grease an oven dish well and pour the rice into it. You now bake the whole until the rice is nicely brown on top.
You then finish the fried rice pudding by spreading a generous layer of whipped egg whites on it. You burn this with a meringue burner and enjoy.
I made the fried rice pudding here with canned apricots. You can of course also make it with fresh apricots if they are in season. Or substitute for peaches, nectarines, apples, or pears. Plenty of choices!
Fried rice pudding with apricots Recipe
PREPARATION TIME: 40 min CALORIES: 367 kcal
- Oven dish of 20 x 20 cm
- 280 gr basmati rice
- 750 ml almond milk
- Split 3 eggs
- 1 whole egg
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 60 gr unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tin of apricots of about 400 gr
- 200 gr sugar for the meringue topping
- Place the rice in a saucepan and rinse well under cold running water until the water runs clear and the starch has been removed.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for about 12-15 minutes. The rice should be soft and have absorbed the milk. Leave to cool uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Use some of the butter to grease an oven dish (20 cm square or round)
- Divide the eggs into yolks and egg whites. Set the egg white aside for a while.
- Add the whole egg to the yolks and beat briefly with a fork
- Add the sugar to the eggs and beat to mix.
- Now add your egg yolk mixture, the rest of the butter, cinnamon and vanilla to the rice and stir to combine.
- Divide half of your rice mixture over the baking dish, put the apricots on it, cut side down and spread the other half of the rice over it.
- Smooth the surface and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the top of the rice is golden brown and the apricots start to bubble up on the sides.
- While the rice pudding is almost ready, make the meringue. Beat the egg whites until almost stiff peaks and add the 200 g sugar until nice shiny stiff peaks.
- Remove the rice pudding from the oven and add the meringue topping.
- Burn nice brown peaks on it.
Calories: 367 kcal
Carbohydrates: 64 g
Protein: 7 g
Fat: 10 g
Saturated fats: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 98 mg
Sodium: 209 mg
Potassium: 205 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 34 g
Vitamin A: 1270 IU
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Calcium: 147 mg
Iron: 1 mg
The stated nutritional value is based on standard tables and therefore an estimated total. No rights can be derived from the information in the nutritional table.