Elderberry: Where Does Elderberry Grow? Benefits of Elderberry
Elderberry, which has a privileged place among medicinal plants, is one of the most popular plants of recent years. Known by many different names in our country, the plant comes from the honeysuckle family, is granular, medicinal and pleasant-looking.
The stem, flowers and leaves of the plant are a source of healing. It is also an herb used in aromatherapy. It is also common knowledge that elderberry flower is good for some diseases.
What is Elderberry?
Elderberry, also known by names such as black elderberry, sweating tea, Puppet, Sambucus, Elder Sureau, is a plant that grows woody or rarely herbaceous in the form of a bush or tree, whose flowers fall off in winter.
There are about 20 – 25 species. The one in the form of a bush or tree is called the black elderberry flower. Common species include Mexican elderberry, red-fruited elderberry, mountain red elderberry, yellow elderberry, white elderberry, and velvet elderberry. The shoots of the plant are plentiful. The flowers are white and beautiful looking. Its leaves contain essential oil, sugar and some organic acids. Its leaves, fruits and roots are suitable for use as laxatives, while its flowers contain diaphoretic and calming properties.
Elderberry, which is used as a natural colorant thanks to its fruits, is also used in winemaking with its black fruit extracts. The bark of the tree is also medicinal, as are the leaves and flowers of elderberry. The fruits of the plant contain tannin, sugar, valerian acid and a high level of coloring matter.
Where Does Elderberry Grow?
The plant, which grows up to 10 millimeters and is from the honeysuckle family, shows the feature of easy growth. Elderberry is a plant widely grown in Europe and South America. Black elderberry species in the form of a bush or tree show the feature of growing spontaneously in all regions of our country except the Mediterranean Region. It is a cheeky plant. It is mostly found on the banks of streams.
The plant, which is widely used in Europe, is also used as an ornamental plant with its beautiful-looking flowers and pleasant smell. The flowers of the plant are white and yellowish when it first blooms, and can turn into colors such as black, red and blue as it matures. It has an appearance resembling a bunch of grapes.
Elderberry is a plant with countless benefits and can easily grow anywhere except in very hot regions. The plant generally grows in the Northern hemisphere. As a subtropical plant, elderberry is common in Australia, North Africa, Asia and Anatolia.
What Are the Benefits of Elderberry Blossom?
There are many benefits of elderberry, which has 2 types, white and black. If there is no obstacle for you to use it, you can take advantage of the blessings of this plant. You should pay attention to the rules of use and consume in accordance with the recommendations of herbalists. Otherwise, you may suffer from its side effects.
Vitamins A, B and C in the plant increase your body resistance and make you strong against many diseases. In general, we can list the benefits of elderberry as follows:
- It is good for constipation as it has laxative properties. Due to this nature, elderflower can be added to diets for weight loss. Excessive use is not healthy. The attenuation feature is not certain yet.
- Elderberry has diuretic properties.
- It helps in the treatment of flu, cold, flu and cold diseases due to its sweating. It provides the removal of toxins by sweating.
- It softens the chest with its expectorant feature and is used as a support in the treatment of upper respiratory tract infections. Tea is also used in the treatment of pneumonia and bronchitis.
- It is a plant that increases breast milk. It is recommended to use by breastfeeding mothers.
- Elderberry flower has the ability to heal sunburns and wounds.
- It is antipyretic. It is an herb that calms the nerves and gives peace and calm.
How to Make Elderberry Tea?
Like all herbal teas, elderflower tea is prepared by the brewing method. If you want to use the plant by making tea, you can use the dried or fresh leaves and flowers. You can drink elderberry tea to benefit from its expectorant and laxative effect. You can prepare your tea by brewing some herbs in boiling water. It is not correct to make herbal tea by boiling it. In this case, it can cause some harm to your body.
To prepare elderflower tea:
- It will be enough to put some herbs in 1 cup of boiled water and leave it to infuse for about 7 – 8 minutes.
- After that, you can consume it by sipping.
- Before you start using the plant as a tea, you should not neglect to consult your doctor.
What Are the Benefits of Elderberry Tea? What Is It Good For?
- Tea made from the flower of the plant can help to lose weight, although it has not been fully proven with its digestive accelerator effect.
- It increases urine output.
- When consumed during diseases such as colds and flu, it is beneficial with its sweating feature and accelerates the healing process.
- If elderflower tea is sweetened with honey and drunk, it will heal rheumatic pains.
- It is effective against kidney inflammations, and can also be used to relieve kidney stone pain.
- It is recommended to use this tea for hemorrhoid pains, stress-related headaches, colds and stomachaches.
- Another benefit of elderberry tea is for the eyes. It improves eyesight and is good against burring and inflammation in the eyes.
- It is recommended for smokers as it is an expectorant.
What Is Elderberry Syrup?
- If you want to get rid of the flu easily, you can use elderflower syrup.
- It is a herbal syrup that you can prefer especially to keep your children’s immune system strong.
- A strong immune system is the most effective way to deal with all diseases.
- You can make elderberry syrup at home, which is used to heal colds, flu, colds, upper respiratory tract infections, and diseases caused by bacteria and viruses such as herpes and influenza.
- The syrup, which increases the body resistance of children, is used as an auxiliary product in the treatment of these diseases.
- You can also buy the syrup ready-made. The price of elderflower syrup varies according to the brand features.
- There are syrups prepared from black and white elderberry.
- It would be right to consult a doctor before you start giving elderberry syrup to your children.
How Is Elderberry Syrup Prepared?
To prepare the elderberry syrup:
- 3 cups dried elderberry,
- 4 glasses of water,
- A small amount of root ginger,
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder,
- To a little clove powder,
- You also need 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Put the water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil, then add the elderberry, cinnamon and cloves, and then the ginger and bring it to a boil.
- After that, turn down the bottom of the pot and wait until half of the water has evaporated.
- After about 45 minutes, turn off the heat and when it cools down, add honey and mix.
- Put it in a jar and keep it in a cool environment.
- This syrup, which can be prepared in many different ways, adults should consume one tablespoon, while children should drink one dessert spoon.
- Drinking once or twice a week is enough.
- Don’t forget to drink a glass of warm water right after.
You can offer a healing flavor to your children by trying to make elderflower jam. Elderberry can also be used as a liqueur. Elderberry liqueur is a homemade liqueur that you can easily prepare. You can make any amount you want. First you need to prepare a syrup with sugar and water. Boil your syrup using a kilo of sugar per liter of water, then put the elderberry flowers in it and turn it off. After it cools down, strain it with the help of a cheesecloth and funnel and take it into a bottle. Get a homemade liqueur by adding vodka as much as you want. You can serve it cold. Elderberry flower is a source of healing that you can use for everything.