Corn Plant Nutritional Value, Benefits and Cultivation
It decorates the tables with its bread, it does not fall out of your hands with its milk-like flavor, or it comes to you in the most delicious meals. The benefits of corn vegetable, which is fertile in all aspects, are innumerable. You can use this health-packed vegetable in many ways.
You will love the corn plant as you get to know it, and the more you love it, the more you will want to consume it.
- What is Corn? What are its features?
- Corn Growing: Where and How Does the Corn Plant Grow?
- What are the Corn Types?
- What is the Nutritional Value of Corn?
- What Are the Benefits of Corn?
- How Is Corn Flour Obtained? What Does It Do?
- What is Corn Flakes? How is it consumed?
- 12 Different Delicious Corn Recipes
What is Corn? What are its features?
In addition to being boiled or roasted on its own, corn is often used in soup, salad, corn soup or pastry recipes. Corn products, which have a wide usage area, often find a place for themselves in many food cultures. It is thought that it was called by this name because it came to our country from the country of Egypt a long time ago. Corn plant originating from Central America is also grown intensively in our country.
Corn oil made from this important plant is often preferred in food preparation processes. Corn syrup made from corn starch can also be used in foods with its features such as flavor enhancement. Corn, which has made a name for itself with its vitamins and minerals, is a very useful food.
Corn Growing: Where and How Does the Corn Plant Grow?
It is necessary to pay attention to some soil and climatic conditions for an efficient corn cultivation process. When growing corn it needs plenty of water and generally grows in humid climates. Although the months of April or May are generally suitable for the planting time of maize, which does not have much soil selectivity, these dates may differ depending on the region and climate.
Keeping the gaps wide in the sowing process with corn seeds provides better results. Corn harvest time can also be adjusted according to the brown color of the tassels on the cob.
Corn plant is consumed as food as well as used as animal feed. Many different products come from the corn plant, such as cornmeal, corn silage, corn gluten or corn paste.
What are the Corn Types?
It is possible to count corn types according to the shape and size of the grains or the structure of the cob. Although there are certain main varieties, they are also divided into sub-varieties. Some subspecies are suitable for popcorn. Some subspecies are also used more for fodder making. It will be possible to get good corn yields from many types by paying attention to the soil, climate and especially the amount of water.
What is the Nutritional Value of Corn?
Corn is very rich in nutritional value. The corn plant is an intense source of potassium as well as containing many vitamins. Corn, where minerals such as sodium, iron, magnesium and calcium are abundant, also differs from some subspecies in terms of sugar content.
If we ask how many calories in 1 corn, this may vary according to the cooking method. While there can be about 96 kcal in 100 grams of boiled milk corn, popcorn may have higher values in terms of calories.
What Are the Benefits of Corn?
- Thanks to the iron mineral contained in corn, it can support the elimination of conditions such as anemia.
- Among the benefits of corn, its contribution to the proper functioning of the digestive system is also in the first place.
- Corn, which is also very useful for the circulatory system, supports the ideal functioning of the body’s functions.
- It helps to strengthen memory as it contains vitamin B1.
- Corn oil also helps to keep the skin strong and healthy with its content.
- Corn, which is very beneficial for bones with its calcium richness, also has properties that can be beneficial for connective tissues.
- Corn is an eye-catching food with the ideal amount of calories, but if you still want to find clear answers to questions such as does corn make you lose weight, you should consult experts. Please consult your doctor before consuming corn in order to avoid allergies or other adverse effects.
How Is Corn Flour Obtained? What Does It Do?
The process of obtaining cornmeal begins with drying the corn in the sun. The corn that is dried enough is separated from the cob and taken to the mills where it will be turned into flour. It can be ground into flour in old-style mills or modern machines.
Cornmeal can be used in bread or various pastry recipes. Various products such as corn semolina or corn bulgur can also be obtained from the corn plant.
What is Corn Flakes? How is it consumed?
Corn flakes are generally consumed as breakfast. Corn flakes mixed with milk and eaten are consumed as a practical and satisfying breakfast alternative in the morning. Corn flakes, which are also enriched with products such as honey or chocolate, have become a very popular type of food.
12 Different Delicious Corn Recipes
1) Delicious Cookies Covered with Cereal
Cookies are one of the most popular snacks. You can use cornflakes to make the cookies even more beautiful both visually and in terms of taste.
2) Original and Practical Form of Pastry: Corn Flour Pastry with Leek
If you are looking for a different recipe to accompany your tea treats, corn flour pie with leek will meet your needs. You can win the appreciation of your guests thanks to the pastry enriched with the original taste of leek.
3) A Nutritious and Delicious Soup: Chicken Corn Meal Soup
Soups are frequently consumed as the favorite dishes of the tables, especially in the winter months. Your family will love the chicken cornmeal soup, which is also eye-catching with its nutritious aspect.
4) Make Your Own Snack: Homemade Corn Chips
Corn chips are consumed a lot while watching TV series or at friend invitations. You can prepare this popular snack at home and surprise your guests.
5) Delicious Combination of Tuna and Corn
You can try many different flavors together in this recipe that will be appreciated by those who love appetizers. You can enjoy this appetizer decorated with two flavors that go well together, such as tuna and corn.
6) Traditional Flavor in Your Houses: Milk Corn
You can cook the delicious milk corn that you eat a lot while walking outside with your own hands at home. You can also offer fresh and hot milk corn to your loved ones during the day.
7) Try Vegetable Soup with Milk Corn
Varieties of soups enriched with vegetables draw attention as they are both useful and delicious. You will also make the health store milk corn vegetable soup an indispensable part of your evening meals.
8) A Different Taste for Salad Lovers
Healthy and light, salads can combine a wide variety of vegetables. You can make this noodle salad recipe, where carrots and corn make a delicious combination, an important part of your tables.
9) Legendary Bread of the Black Sea Region
One of the important bread types of the Black Sea cuisine, which attracts attention with its unique dishes, is corn bread. You can complete your table with the corn bread recipe that you can prepare at home.
10) Practical Snack to Accompany Fun Moments: Microwave Popcorn
You can also prepare popcorn, which is often consumed while watching movies, in your home microwave. The practical popcorn recipe will successfully meet your suddenly developing snack needs.
11) A Tasty Touch to Cookies: Cereal Cookies
You can make a difference to tea or breakfast thanks to the light cookies you can cook with this recipe. Cookies decorated with cornflakes will also attract attention with their presentation.
12) A Delicious Soup with Its Consistency and Taste: Corn Flour Potato Soup
Potato soup is consumed extensively in many homes as a hearty and nutritious meal. You can make this delicious soup even more delicious with cornmeal.