Cleaning the coffee machine: how to get rid of limescale and dirt quickly and correctly?
Failure to clean can lead to breakdowns and damage to the coffee machine. The most common cause of reduced appliance life is scale formation.
In this article, we’ll show you how to properly care for your coffee machine, choose a cleaning agent and clean it.
Care and preventive measures
It is always easier to prevent a problem than to solve it later. Proper handling of the coffee machine will save you from premature breakdowns and costly repairs.
Observe the following guidelines:
- First of all, carefully study the instructions from the product, if you have not already done so. The manufacturer describes in detail the conditions of use and maintenance of the device.
- Use well filtered water. And even better – bottled.
- Keep the coffee machine clean. Wipe the case periodically with a damp and then dry cloth. Make sure the coffee spout is clean.
- Clean the main parts of the machine regularly, remove scale, oil, milk and coffee grounds residues. For these purposes, use special products from the manufacturer of the equipment or offered on the household chemicals market.
- Enter the hardness of the water used in the menu of the coffee machine. The system will notify you about the need to descale the product.
- The cappuccino maker should be regularly blown out, milk deposits should be removed from it. It is recommended to wash it immediately after preparing milk drinks.
How to tell if a car needs cleaning
Specialists in the repair and maintenance of coffee machines recommend taking into account the degree of water hardness. So, at normal rates, it will be enough to carry out this procedure once a month, but if the water is soft – once a quarter. If the water used is hard, the appliance should be cleaned more often, as needed.
Many models of home coffee machines are equipped with a special indicator that signals that it is time to clean. However, don’t rely on it too much.
The device does not take into account the hardness of the water, if you have not informed it about it. Use the special test that usually comes with the device. Enter the obtained water hardness data into the coffee machine.
It will now more accurately indicate the need for cleaning.
What to do for those whose device does not have a similar function? In this case, pollution can be judged by the following indicators:
- coffee has an unpleasant aftertaste, slight bitterness;
- sediment remains at the bottom of the dish;
- the device starts to work louder, extraneous sounds, crackling may even appear;
- the time for preparing one portion of the drink increases;
- coffee is poured into the mug in a thin, slow trickle.
How to choose a cleaner
Your best bet is to buy a dedicated cleaner for a specific brand of appliance. Such branded products are available for Saeco, DeLonghi, Bosch, Krups and others. They are usually expensive, but give the best results. Basically, these cleaners are completely interchangeable, so you can pick and buy the cheapest option.
You can also use all-purpose coffee machine cleaners.
For decalcification, i.e. removing scale from metal elements, use:
- cleansing tablets;
- liquid solutions;
- citric acid.
You can clean the coffee machine yourself.
First, carefully read the instructions from him. If you have lost it, try to find and download it on the Internet. Usually the manufacturer specifies in detail how to properly clean the device. You just have to follow his instructions.
In this article, we will present the most versatile ways to clean coffee machines. However, they may differ for specific models.
Liquid cleansing technology is as follows:
1. Remove coffee residues from the filter and container.
2. Prepare the cleaning solution according to the instructions and pour it into the water container up to the max.
3. Turn on the coffee machine and turn on the tap, drain about 150 ml of liquid. Then drain the solution in small portions every 5 minutes.
5. If the device does not have a spray, then at the end of the procedure, when the cleaning solution has not yet ended, add coffee and start the beverage preparation program. When the coffee is ready, continue draining the cleaner. The drink, of course, needs to be discarded.
For horn-type or pulverized appliances, it is possible to run the program without adding coffee.
4. After the cleaning liquid is finished, remove the reservoir, rinse it under the tap and fill it with clean cold water. Now repeat step 3.
5. Rinse the brewing unit of the appliance with water.
Cleaning the coffee machine with tablets
These tablets are labeled “For decalcification” and are designed to clean the internal elements from plaque. It is advisable to use a product from the same company as the coffee machine.
Be sure to completely dissolve the tablet in clean water. Pour the resulting liquid into the tank of the coffee machine. Switch on the coffee brewing mode. Unplug the machine as soon as half the glass is full. After 15 minutes, start the appliance, the rest of the portion will drain into the glass. Clean the brewing unit. Run the cooking program twice, but without the tablet and coffee.
Cleaning the coffee machine with citric acid
We still recommend using special tools: it is safer and more reliable. However, if you decide to use the folk method, then here is the instruction.
The cleaning process will take no more than 30 minutes and will consist of 3 stages: descaling and two rinsing cycles.
So, let’s get down to descaling:
- Make sure there is no coffee or used capsules left in the machine.
- Remove the water tank and rinse it well.
- Pour 1 liter of water into a container, add 30 g of citric acid.
- Wait until the granules are completely dissolved, then put the compartment back in place.
- For a device with a self-cleaning function, it will be enough to start this program and wait for it to end. If the coffee machine is of a simple model, then we use the manual cleaning method. But first, wait 15 minutes – this time is enough for the substance for active work. Start a coffee preparation program. Repeat this until all the liquid from the reservoir is used up.
- Unplug the device from the mains, remove the container for flushing.
- When the descaling procedure is completed, the first rinse phase begins. Fill the tank with clean water up to the maximum mark. Replace the drawer and switch on the preparation mode.
- For the second rinse cycle, remove the container, rinse and refill with water. Return it to the car. Start the coffee program until the tank is completely empty.
Some machines have an automatic cleaning program. This makes the descaling procedure much easier.
What should be done:
- Remove coffee from the machine.
- Prepare the cleaning solution as instructed and pour it into the fluid compartment.
- Choose an auto-cleaning program and that’s it – just wait until the whole procedure is complete. The smart car will perform all the necessary actions by itself.
How to descale a coffee machine: with tablets and cleaning agents, removing oils
Thanks to modern coffee machines, you can get a delicious aromatic drink in a matter of minutes. However, even the most advanced models need to be periodically cleaned from various deposits.
Coffee machine cleaners are available in tablet and liquid form, the choice of the best option depends on the characteristics of the device and the personal preferences of the owner.
You can remove plaque yourself using folk methods.
How to tell if a car needs cleaning
Signs indicating that the coffee machine needs cleaning:
- the appearance of scale, which is visible to the naked eye in ready-made drinks;
- residues of coffee oils, limescale and unwashed milk particles in the cappuccino maker;
- sediment in a cup of coffee;
- the appearance of bitterness in the drink;
- the brewed coffee jet is too thin;
- extraneous sounds when the machine is running, too loud;
- preparation of coffee drinks took much longer;
- a special indicator came on to indicate the degree of contamination.
How often should you descale
The frequency of cleaning depends on the following factors:
- the level of mineral salts in the water that is poured into the apparatus;
- the number of prepared beverage cups.
Many modern models have special indicators that indicate that it is time to descale the coffee machine. If the coffee machine does not have this advantage, deposits should be removed every 3-4 months or after a couple of hundred cups of coffee. It does not matter what is used for brewing – water or milk foam.
What happens if the car is not cleanedIf there is a special indicator, the device itself notifies the owner that it is time to clean it. If such a function is absent, it is possible to find out that the coffee machine requires cleaning only by indirect indications. Lack of timely maintenance affects the operation of equipment, leads to serious breakdowns and high repair costs. Possible problems such as:
- difficulties with the passage of water due to scale and other deposits;
- the acquisition of an unpleasant taste and aroma by a drink;
- significant increase in energy consumption;
- active growth of bacteria in the cappuccino maker due to milk residues, putrid taste and coffee smell.
Types of soiling in coffee machines
The coffee machine, despite its cost and many useful features, needs to be cleaned regularly. Common types of dirt: dried milk residues, limescale, coffee oils.
These are the remnants of the oils that are rich in coffee beans. A thin dark film on the holder, top strainer and walls quickly spoils the taste of the coffee and makes it rancid. The scent becomes unpleasant.
This problem breaks down most coffee makers. Such a misfortune overtakes not only the simplest devices, but also modern expensive coffee machines. The taste of the drink in the presence of scale becomes unpleasant.
Machine cleaning without automatic cycle
Do not worry if the coffee machine does not have a self-cleaning function and notifications about the degree of soiling. Limescale and coffee oils are removed using professional formulations and folk remedies.
How to clean the cabinet, tray, container and cappuccino maker
Cleaning of these parts does not require the use of professional compounds and large labor costs. It is enough to wipe the entire body with a soft cloth, and then rinse the tray and container under running water.
Rules for cleaning the cappuccino maker:
- lower the tube intended for the intake of liquid into a container with water;
- turn on hot steam (until exceptionally clean water appears).
Professional household chemicals
Cleaning the coffee machine from scale is carried out by two main groups of products: in tablet form and professional formulations. The choice of the appropriate option depends on the personal preferences of the owner of the coffee machine.
The cleaning tablets for cleaning the coffee machine are specially designed for removing limescale or coffee oils. Before choosing an effective method, it is necessary to study the instructions of the manufacturer of the device.
The tablets should be dipped into filtered water and wait for complete dissolution, then you need to pour the concentrate into the container of the coffee machine to the maximum allowable length and select the function of making black coffee.
If the mug is half full, turn off the coffee machine for a quarter of an hour. The device is reconnected to drain the remaining liquid. The brewing unit must be cleaned.
Then the steps are repeated several times without the use of pills.
Special liquid household chemicals have shown high efficiency in combating deposits in the coffee machine (Swipl, Topper Delonghi). General recommendations for use:
- pre-prepare the solution according to the instructions, pour it into a water container;
- enable the self-cleaning function, if available;
- start the system and open the tap, from which about 200-250 ml of water will pour out;
- repeat all the manipulations several times, each time draining 100 ml of liquid;
- rinse the container under the tap after the end of the solution.
The most effective coffee machine cleaner for plaque is citric acid. The entire descaling cycle lasts about half an hour and consists of the following steps: descaling, 1st rinsing cycle, 2nd rinsing cycle.
- turn off the device;
- take out a container for water, wash, add a few teaspoons of citric acid and fill in the required volume of liquid, the data on which are presented in the instructions for use;
- wait until the crystals are completely dissolved;
- install the reservoir into the device.
The subsequent tactics depend on the company that produces coffee machines of one type or another. Wait about 15 minutes for the acid to take effect.
Then it is important to start the coffee preparation process and do it one by one until the very moment, until the compartment is empty. At the end, the machine turns off the water tank is taken out and rinsed under running water.
After direct descaling, the first and second rinsing cycles follow.
Important! It is strictly forbidden to consume a drink prepared during the cleaning process.
Features of cleaning coffee machines with a special mode
The procedure is almost identical for all models (Delonghi, Saeco, Bosch, Jura, Philips). Pour 1 liter of water and a special cleaning agent into the compartment provided for this, turn on the device and pass the liquid through the tube through which hot water flows. After that, the coffee preparation mode is set. It is worth waiting until the solution has completely passed through the entire mechanism of the device. After waiting for the coffee pot to fill up to a volume equal to about 2-3 cups of coffee, you need to turn on the automatic cleaning mode and wait for the complete end of work. At the end of the procedure, the device is turned off and rinsed with running water, with special attention being paid to removable elements and a compartment for water.
Features of cleaning a drip coffee maker from scale
The appropriate way to clean the coffee machine depends on the design and operation of the machine. Steps for cleaning a drip coffee maker:
- wash the filter with warm running water with a delicate brush and reinstall it;
- mix a solution of 4 tbsp. water at room temperature and 40 g of citric acid in granules;
- pour liquid into a container for water, add cold water until the maximum allowable mark is reached;
- turn on the boiler for about a quarter of an hour, after half an hour do it again and wait until the entire liquid base passes into the receiving container;
- if residues of deposits are found on the filter, it is worth lowering it in a hot solution of citric acid and leaving it for about an hour;
- rinse the filter well;
- repeatedly pass clean water through the device until the acid is completely released.
Important! Citric acid can be substituted with table vinegar. It is mixed with clean water in a 1: 2 ratio.
Care and preventive measures
In order for the coffee machine to serve for many years, it is necessary to properly care for it and observe preventive measures to prevent the formation of old deposits:
Descaling tablets for the coffee machine
- upon detection of the first signs of scale on the walls of the machine, it is urgent to take care of its elimination with the help of tablets and other means for cleaning the coffee machine with proven effectiveness;
- preventive flushing will protect the device from the accumulation of coffee oils and plaque;
- the use of built-in filters will help prevent the formation of limescale;
- it is important to ensure that coffee grounds do not accumulate in the coffee machine;
- it is necessary to regularly remove milky plaque;
- it is worth listening to all the provisions of the instructions for use, otherwise the coffee machine may be irretrievably damaged.
Coffee machines must be decalcified regularly. You can remove plaque with the help of chemicals and folk remedies in certain proportions.
Many modern devices have a self-cleaning function, which greatly simplifies the life of the owner, but does not deprive him of the responsibility to properly care for the machine and take preventive measures.
Descaling coffee makers (drip, carob, pod, capsule)
In coffee makers and coffee machines, as in any household appliance that heats water during operation, limescale deposits form. If the heating elements are not regularly descaled, electricity consumption will increase, the operation of the device will deteriorate and there is a risk of failure.
The causes of limescale
The cause of limescale is hardness salts CaCO3 and MgCO3, which are poorly soluble in water (salts of rare earth metals calcium and magnesium). These compounds are formed when heating bicarbonates Ca (HCO3) 2 and Mg (HCO3) 2, which are part of natural water and decompose at temperatures above +40 ºС.
- The reaction occurs:
- Ca (HCO3) 2 = CaCO3 + H2O + CO2;
- Mg (HСО3) 2 = MgСО3 + H2O + CO2.
- If an ion-exchange filter or a device that magnetizes water is installed on the incoming water pipe, you can significantly reduce the deposition of hardness salts on the heaters and extend the life of not only the coffee maker, but also the boiler, kettle, washing machine and dishwasher.
Signs of a clogged coffee maker
When using water containing hardness salts, limescale will inevitably form in the coffee maker. Both simple drip coffee machines and capsule or carob coffee makers are susceptible to clogging.
The more bends and the smaller the diameter of the water pipes in the coffee maker, the greater the likelihood of lime scale formation. Limescale particles clog the water channels.
Not all coffee makers are equipped with a built-in indicator (counter for the number of cups of coffee brewed), so you need to be able to recognize signs of limescale deposits inside the machine:
- it takes more time to prepare one portion of the drink than before;
- when the tube and outlet are clogged, the trickle of the finished coffee becomes thin, which is why the cup takes longer;
- the taste of the drink has deteriorated;
- a foreign smell appeared;
- the working device began to emit unusual sounds;
- a light gray precipitate is visible in the dish;
- the electricity consumption has increased while the coffee maker is running.
According to the repairmen, the most susceptible to overgrowth of the heater and clogging of pipes are capsule and carob coffee makers of the boiler type. In devices with a thermoblock, water does not stagnate, and the process of scale formation is slower.
If limescale appears, you need to get rid of it, and cleaning the coffee maker from scale is possible at home.In very advanced cases, the coffee maker will have to be disassembled
Professional and folk remedies for cleaning coffee makers
Coffee machine manufacturers have long created a separate source of income for themselves: they manufacture and sell descaling products for devices.
The latest generation models have an auto-cleaning function with the indispensable use of a proprietary product. After 200–300 cups of coffee have been dispensed, the smart machine signals that it is time to start cleaning.
Professional products are available in the form of tablets, powders and liquids.
Each coffee machine manufacturer claims that only proprietary products can be used. This is nothing more than a marketing ploy.
If you read the composition on the label, it will become clear that the main component is citric acid. Is it worth spending a lot of money (from 1000 to 1200 rubles.
) for the purchase of a branded product, when a sachet of citric acid is several times cheaper and is sold in any grocery store?
Using food grade citric acid to descale the coffee maker has several advantages:
- citric acid does not cause environmental pollution, does not emit toxins;
- the process of dissolving lime formations occurs gently, without the release of hazardous chemicals that are harmful to health;
- to dissolve even old formations, a small amount of acid is needed in the form of a crystalline powder (30 g per 1 liter of water).
Instructions for descaling coffee makers of different types
How you descale a coffee maker depends on the design of the device. Machines with a removable filter and infuser can be conveniently rinsed under the tap in running water. If you regularly rinse the device after making coffee, then a thorough cleaning with citric acid or purchased tablets can be done no more than once a month.
Models with a built-in unit often have an auto-cleaning (decalcification) function, and if it is not provided, then the scale is removed independently, using a cleaning solution.Most modern remedies are based on citric acid
Descaling a drip coffee maker
- Wash the filter in warm water with a soft brush (unnecessary toothbrush) and replace it.
- Prepare a working liquid from citric acid: dissolve 30 g of crystalline powder in 4 glasses of warm water.
- Pour the solution into the water tank.Add cold water to the reservoir up to the Max mark.
- Turn on the coffee maker for 5-10 minutes. After 30 minutes, repeat the procedure and wait until the entire solution passes into the receiving flask.
- If there are still traces of scale on the filter, immerse it in a hot solution prepared in this way and hold it for an hour.
- Rinse the filter well and refit.
- Pass clean water through the coffee maker several times so that the acid comes out completely.
It is allowed to replace citric acid with vinegar. To do this, use white table vinegar with a strength of 9%, dissolved in water in a 1: 2 ratio.
If the glass container for collecting the finished coffee becomes cloudy, you need to fill it with a warm solution and rinse thoroughly after 30 minutes with water.
Descaling the carob, pod and capsule coffee makers
The principle of operation of these types of coffee makers is practically the same, the only difference is in the design of the receiving device for coffee powder. Therefore, the descaling methods are the same:
- Unplug the coffee maker.
- Remove waste coffee from the horn (holder).
- Wash the removable tank under running water and fill it with a solution of the product prepared according to the manufacturer’s instructions, or with a solution of citric acid (according to the recipe described above). Let the working solution work for 15–20 minutes.
- Empty the cake dump container.
- Empty the drip tray.
- Turn on the coffee maker.
- Dispense about half of the heated solution through the cappuccinatore nozzle by switching on the steam mode.
- Pass the remaining solution through an empty cone (capsule holder) in coffee preparation mode.
After removing the limescale, they start rinsing the inner surface of the coffee maker, the process consists of two cycles.
Rinse cycle for loading unit and heater:
- fill the tank with clean water (up to the Max mark);
- start a coffee preparation program;
- Collect the wash water in an unnecessary container.
Cappuccinatore rinsing cycle:
- refill the reservoir with clean water (up to the Max mark);
- select and start the steam generation program. Collect rinse water from the cappuccinatore nozzle into the container provided.
Perform each cycle twice.
In modern coffee machines and coffee makers of the latest generation, the “auto descaling” (decalcification) mode is provided. After completing the first 6 steps of the above algorithm for manual mode, you need to enable the “Autocleaning” function. A smart machine will do everything by itself. All that remains is to add the cleaning solution or water, following the commands appearing on the LCD of the device.
- if the house does not have filters for water treatment based on ion-exchange resins, use only bottled water with a salt content of 75 to 250 g / l for brewing coffee;
- do not mix solutions of branded products with citric or acetic acid;
- in order to clean the coffee maker from scale, do not use abrasive products;
- several cups of coffee brewed immediately after cleaning will have to be discarded: they cannot be drunk.
How to descale anything
Scale is mainly composed of calcium and magnesium carbonate. When interacting with citric, acetic, orthophosphoric or other acids, sparingly soluble carbonates of alkaline earth metals are converted into readily soluble salts. For example, acetates. Therefore, acidic substances are effective in the fight against scale, and they need to be heated to enhance the reaction.
Soda, when interacting with water, gives carbonic acid molecules, which, in turn, reacts with insoluble calcium and magnesium carbonates, converting them into soluble bicarbonates. And they are easily washed off with water and removed with a sponge.
1. How to remove limescale with citric acid
- Suitable for any teapots, coffee machines, irons, washing machines.
- Proportions : kettles, coffee machines and irons – 10 g for every 100 ml of water; washing machines – 50 g per kilogram of load.
- Pros : environmental friendliness, safety, availability, pleasant aroma.
- Cons : cannot cope with old, thick scale.
How to descale a kettle
Fill the kettle with about ¾ of water – so that the liquid covers the deposits on the walls and heating elements, but does not splash out during boiling.
Pour citric acid (100 g of powder for each liter of water) into a kettle and boil.
Leave to cool completely. Drain off water, remove residual plaque with a sponge and wash thoroughly.
For the coffee machine, prepare a citric acid solution based on the volume of the water tank. For example, if the coffee machine is designed for 2 liters, you will need 200 g of citric acid.
Pour the hot solution into the tank and leave for 60 minutes.
After an hour, start a coffee program without the coffee itself. Empty the liquid through the dispensers.
Then run the coffee machine with water only, no citric acid. As soon as you drain the boiling water, you can use the device. If the tank of the coffee machine is removable, remove any residual deposits under running water.
How to descale your iron
Prepare a solution for the iron: add 10 g of citric acid for every 100 ml of boiling water, stir and cool to room temperature. Remove the anti-limestone rod, if present, and soak in the resulting solution for an hour.
If not, pour the solution into the water tank. Turn on the iron and, holding it upright, let off steam until all the liquid is used up. It is better to do this over a bathtub or basin: together with the steam, scale will fly out of the holes in the sole.
After the procedure, rinse the iron reservoir with running water, and wipe the soleplate with ammonia or nail polish remover.
How to descale a washing machine
To remove deposits from the heating elements and drum of the washing machine, you need 50 g of acid for every kilogram of load.
Pour ¾ citric acid (190 g acid per 5 kg load) into the powder tray and ¹⁄₄ (60 g) directly into the drum. Start the wash at the maximum temperature.
2. How to descale with table vinegar
- Suitable for glass and ceramic teapots, stainless steel teapots, irons and washing machines.
- Proportions : kettles – 100 ml for each liter of water; irons – 1 tablespoon per liter of water; washing machines – 10 ml for each kilogram of load.
- Plus : a more aggressive acidic environment removes even a thick layer of scale.
- Cons : can harm rubber and plastic elements of devices, pungent smell.
How to descale a kettle
To clean the kettle, dissolve vinegar in water and put on fire. After boiling, let it boil for a few more minutes. Then drain the water, remove the remaining plaque with a sponge and a cleaning agent and boil clean water in a kettle.
How to descale your iron
Pour warm vinegar solution into the water tank and, holding the iron horizontally, release the steam.
Only boil a kettle with vinegar and let steam out of the iron in a well-ventilated area.
How to descale a washing machine
Pour vinegar (10 ml per kilogram of load) into the washing machine into a dish for conditioner or liquid powder. Run the wash without laundry at the maximum temperature, and then rinse again to surely get rid of the specific aroma.
The vinegar can damage the rubber bands on the door, so be careful if you choose to pour the substance directly into the drum. This can be done when there are no liquid reservoirs in the machine.
3. How to descale with baking soda
- Suitable for any teapots, coffee machines.
- Proportions : kettles and coffee machines – 1 tablespoon for every 500 ml of water.
- Pros : availability, simplicity.
- Cons : does not take all types of plaque, does not cope with old deposits.
The mechanism for cleaning teapots and coffee makers with soda is simple: fill them with water, add soda and boil.
At the same time, it is recommended not to remove an ordinary kettle from the fire for another 20-30 minutes after boiling, and the electric kettle should be turned on several times.
After the procedure, wash the inside of the kettle or tank of the coffee machine and boil clean water.
If the build-up is very strong, try a more alkaline soda ash instead of baking soda. Or add the same amount of salt to regular soda.
4. How to descale with soda
- Suitable for any teapots, coffee machines, irons.
- Proportions : the vessels are filled by about ¾.
- Plus : effective even with thick plaque.
- Negative : Colored drink can stain the vessel. Therefore, for cleaning irons and white plastic electric kettles, it is better to use clear soda, including mineral water.
How to descale a kettle or coffee machine
- Open the bottle and wait for most of the carbon dioxide to evaporate.
- Pour the soda into the kettle or the tank of the coffee maker, hold for 15-20 minutes, and then boil.
- Thanks to orthophosphoric acid and carbon dioxide, soda drinks do an excellent job of removing salt deposits.
Pour soda into the water tank, turn on the appliance, hold the iron upright and let off steam.
If there is a lot of scale, do this several times.
5. How to descale with brine
- Suitable for all teapots.
- Proportions : the kettle must be filled up to ¾.
- Pros : simplicity, accessibility.
- Cons : does not cope with persistent plaque, specific smell.
The brine contains lactic and acetic acids.
Fill the kettle with strained cucumber or tomato pickle, boil for 20-30 minutes.
Then drain the limescale brine and wash the kettle with a soft sponge and cleaning agent.
6. How to remove limescale with baking soda, citric acid and vinegar
- Suitable for all teapots.
- Proportions : 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of citric acid and a glass of vinegar per liter of water.
- Plus : breaks even rock salt deposits.
- Minus : troublesome, strong smell, exposure of devices to aggressive components.
Fill the kettle with water, add citric acid and baking soda and bring to a boil. If the kettle is electric, do this 2-3 times.
If normal, let the lemon-soda solution simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Drain and refill the kettle with water. Boil it and pour in the vinegar. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
If after that the scale does not come off by itself, it will become loose. You can easily remove it with a sponge and dishwashing detergent.
At the end, boil clean water in a kettle again, and then drain it.
What to do to prevent limescale
- Try to use only filtered water in kettles, coffee machines and irons.
- Rinse the appliance before taking in water.
- Do not leave water in the appliance after use.Better to pour a new one every time.
- Get rid of limescale at least once a month, even if there is no pronounced plaque on the heating elements and walls.If the appliance has a self-cleaning function, use it.
How to clean a coffee machine: basic rules and instructions for cleaning and rinsing different devices
The best assistant for coffee lovers is a coffee machine. In order for the device to serve for a long time, and the quality of an invigorating drink to always be at a high level, you need to systematically take care of this device.
An inattentive attitude to the coffee machine threatens the appearance of bitterness in the coffee and the occurrence of unwanted breakdowns in the fragile system.
In addition, cleaning the coffee machine is a prerequisite to retaining the manufacturer’s warranty service.
When cleaning is necessary
Any semi-automatic or automatic coffee brewing system has its own way of notifying about the need for decalcification. The coffee machine lets you know if cleaning is necessary based on the settings. Special sensors that detect the level of deposits have not yet been developed.
Heating element of the coffee machine before and after cleaning
The period when the coffee machine needs decalcification is calculated based on the density and hardness of the water. The factory usually sets the values corresponding to the highest levels of severity. They are designed for the minimum number of cups that the device prepares (for example, 250 servings), after which you will need to clean the coffee machine.
In some devices, it is impossible to ignore the message about the need to carry out maintenance: they can be blocked by themselves. Others will systematically issue a message about the necessary decalcification, letting the machine run.
The user himself can set the settings when the device requires the next cleaning, based on the hardness of the water. To do this, you need to carry out tests using strips to determine the quality of the liquid. They usually come with the device.
The test execution process is as follows:
- the water used to make coffee is poured into a container;
- the test strip is dipped into the glass for a few seconds;
- spot one minute and wait;
- check the result: how many squares have changed color.
1 square corresponds to the softest water, 2 – softish, 3 – harsh, 4 – the hardest possible option.
According to the result obtained, the settings suitable for the coffee machine can be set. For the mildest option, the service life before service will be the maximum; for the hardest quality, you will need to clean the device systems the fastest.
Automatic and semi-automatic coffee machines: how to rinse
The main procedure for removing plaque, when the coffee maker is being cleaned, also has a professional name – decalcification. During this process, the device gets rid of the accumulated scale in the compartment where the water is poured. Each coffee machine is supplied with instructions from the manufacturer. It describes in detail the process of decalcifying the device.
There is no one way to clean every coffee machine. Each manufacturer has its own characteristics and the number of steps to complete the procedure.
Some devices require you to complete several steps, while others force you to complete whole chains in which you can get confused.
Typically, premium brands aim to make things easier for their users and simplify the cleaning system down to the required 2-3 human steps.
Dry powder cleaning
Example of instructions for cleaning a coffee machine:
- a chemical must be placed in the water tank for cleaning;
- the user just needs to press one button indicating the beginning of the decalcification process (Calc, Decalc). Then the automatic cleaning system is activated. It lasts at least 25 minutes. The procedure will be completed only after the signal from the machine to complete the work;
- after the procedure, it is necessary to thoroughly wash all the movable reservoirs of the device.
Liquid injection process for cleaning
After thoroughly removing traces of chemical components, the machine is loaded with plain water and several “blank” brews are performed. Manufacturers advise sending the first couple of cups of coffee to the sink in order to surely get rid of unnecessary chemicals for the body.
To complete a successful cleaning procedure, you will not only need to carefully follow the instructions, but also use one of the products on the market. There are different types of instruments for the procedure. These include:
- dry powders. Before entering the tank of the coffee machine, the powder must be mixed with liquid. The dissolved agent is added to the device along with water, adding it to the maximum mark on the container scale. Each brand has its own parameters for the diluted powder, so you need to check the instructions before starting cleaning; Powder for cleaning
- packaging of tablets. A type of dry powders pressed into a specific shape. The principle of operation is fully consistent with the first type of funds. The peculiarity is that the tablet must completely dissolve before starting to work in the tank of the coffee maker; Tablets for cleaning
- liquid products. Poured into a container with water immediately, without dilution; Liquid product
- sets of capsules. Used for capsule machines.
Soluble capsules for the decalcification process
Before the cleaning procedure, you must remove the filter from the coffee maker, otherwise it will be hopelessly damaged
Manufacturing firms recommend using only their own funds, however, they themselves do not produce them.
Typically, brands turn to the same suppliers to get a product for cleaning and, by packaging it in branded containers, make the price high.
Cheap options for various cleaning products are no different from well-known competitors. The main rule for preparing products for removing contamination is to comply with the proportions declared by the manufacturer.
Among folk remedies, it is often recommended to use citric acid, vinegar essence, or even Coca-Cola to get rid of scale. If you decide what to use from folk remedies, it is worth knowing that non-professional components may not only fail to fulfill the function assigned to them, but also harm the apparatus.
Vinegar will break down immediately, and citric acid, if used regularly, will corrode rubber and aluminum parts of coffee machines. Coca-Cola may not have any positive effects.
If professional cleaning products are not available, you can resort to using citric acid as a last resort. To do this, you need to dilute 10 grams of powder in one liter of liquid and fill the water tank of the coffee machine with the resulting mixture. After that, the usual actions are performed according to the instructions.
Carob coffee maker: how to clean
In coffee machines using the bean version of the coffee, an infusion unit is always present. In the process of using the device, the part begins to contain excess coffee oils on its walls. According to the location of the infusion unit, a removable and built-in version is distinguished. Removing coffee oils from the system differs depending on the location of the components.
For carob-type coffee makers, the horn performs the function of the brewer.
The process of removing fats from the removable part
Removable block. Its cleaning is carried out by removing it from its place and rinsing it under running water. After complete drying, the system is stirred in the same place.
The procedure is performed every few weeks, depending on the frequency of operation of the coffee machine. Additional cleaning should be done every 300-400 cups.
Varovik, also known as a removable unit, is cleaned together with the water supply using chemicals.
Flushing the plug-in unit
Built-in varovik. In coffee makers with a built-in brewing system, cleaning occurs automatically using special tablets. Keeping these coffee makers clean is even more important than with a plug-in unit. If handled negligently, the device will quickly fail.
The cleaning process in pouring coffee machines is carried out in 8 steps:
- the coffee is removed from the brewer;
- the cleaning agent is placed in the compartment for ground grains (1 tablet or 3 grams of powder). Pour 2 liters of water into the car;
- turn on the cooking mode from ground grains;
- we put the container under the nose of the distribution;
- set the maximum espresso size in the settings;
- pour the liquid entering the cup into the sewer;
- for half an hour after the completion of the process, let the machine stand;
- we thoroughly rinse the apparatus with fresh water.
In cases where the manufacturer has equipped the machine with sensors that interfere with the operation of the device in the absence of grains in any form, it will be necessary to place the cleaning agent in the brewing unit. After cleaning is completed, it is necessary to flush the waterway using the additional button in the menu.
How to clean capsule, geyser and other types of coffee maker
Any coffee maker requires gentle care and cleaning. The easiest way is to clean geyser and drip devices. They are completely disassembled and easily washed under running water. In the geyser system, it is necessary to pull out and thoroughly rinse the sieve, and in the capsule system, if there is a metal filter, you need to pay attention to it.
Disassembled coffee maker for general cleaning
In the case of a capsule-type coffee maker, you don’t have to put a lot of effort either. The infusion unit in such a machine is presented in the form of a loading capsule. Due to this, care of the site of its introduction is not required.
To clean the internal paths, it is enough to use special tablets for capsule coffee machines and carry out cleaning using the built-in program at the push of a single button.
Such devices most often do not have cappuccinators, but if they are available, it is necessary to clean them daily under running water.
Cleaning the milk circuit at milk vending machines
Milk tract cleaning is especially popular with machine owners with an automatic cappuccino maker. However, it is necessary to clean any type of appliance that has a means for frothing milk.
For Panarello, just unscrew the tube and rinse it under running water. For different types of milk jugs, it is necessary to rinse under running water after each use. The automatic device must be cleaned by changing the milk to water and starting the liquid supply. If the contamination is not strong, 50 ml of water will be enough for complete cleansing.
If the ducts dry out after a forgotten cleaning, you will have to use special cleaning agents. Manufacturers offer a wide range of different cleaning products at different price points. In fact, absolutely everything can cope with pollution, even the cheapest means.
Experts recommend rinsing the milk jugs twice a week in dishwashers or under a strong pressure of running water. Such a systematic method of cleaning will save you from the use of chemistry for many years.
Milk unit cleaning agents:
- liquids for milk systems. Eliminate dried milk particles. It should be used systematically every day, adding about 20 ml to the node;
- liquids used to clean cappuccinatore;
- pressed tablets for dairy units.
Coffee makers of any type require constant systematic cleanliness monitoring. Delay, if necessary, cleaning can lead not only to a poor-quality finished drink, but also to significant damage inside the machine.
Attention must be paid to all parts of the machine, from the most important brewing parts to the grinding systems. Manufacturers offer a wide selection of special products for professional cleaning, it is enough to find your own and choose a convenient dosage for high-quality cleaning of the coffee machine.
Constant care and respect will help the device to last a long time and prepare only a delicious coffee drink.