Chamomile Flower: Care, Features, Benefits
Chamomile, a kind of Mediterranean plant, is undoubtedly one of the most loved flowers in our country. This rare flower, which is a member of the daisy family, takes its name from this family. It is known that there are more than 100 species of chamomile growing in temperate climates. This yellow and white flower is also known as a yellow daisy among the people.
Daisies, which have a simple appearance, can be easily grown in nature, at home in pots, or in the garden. In this article, we sought an answer to the question of “how to grow a daisy flower” for you. Here are the features of the chamomile flower and the care tips of the chamomile flower…
How to Care for Daisy Flowers in Pots?
Soil and Pot Selection
- Daisies love moist and permeable soils and show a healthy development in soils with these characteristics.
- The soil should be firm and hard.
- You can prefer clay soil to grow daisies in pots.
- The pot in which the chamomile seeds will be planted should not be too deep.
- Since the seeds will be planted intermittently, you can choose a wide but not deep pot.
- Since daisies are 2-year-old flowers, there is no need to change the pot.
- After planting chamomile seeds, you should first give living water.
- After the seeds start to sprout, you can water the flower by checking the soil.
- The soil of the daisy should neither be too dry nor too watery.
- You should make sure that the soil is always moist.
- It is a drought-resistant plant. However, over-watering can cause the flower to wilt.
- In order for the flower to develop healthily, it will be sufficient to water it every 2-3 days.
- Daisies are sun lovers, so to speak.
- Daisy thrives in sunny or semi-shaded areas.
- Since this flower loves the sun, it is recommended to be grown in areas such as balconies, gardens, terraces instead of indoors.
- It can be grown in dry and humid areas.
- Daisies are fast-growing flowers.
- Chamomile production can be done in 2 ways. These; seed and cutting methods.
- Since chamomile is a spring plant, the ideal time for sowing seeds in March.
- Seed sowing is recommended to be done in a closed and warm environment.
- Chamomile seeds have a fine structure. For this reason, frequent planting in the ground is not recommended. Seeds should be placed in the soil spaced apart. Otherwise, the daisies will be short and undersized.
- Since the seeds of chamomile are thin, there is no need to put soil on them. Simply placing it on the soil is sufficient.
- In the cutting method, one of the non-flowering, healthy branches of the daisy is cut. After the leaves are cleaned, they are planted in the ground. With this method, chamomile takes root automatically in the soil after an average of one month.
Chamomile Flower Characteristics, Meaning, and Story
- Chamomile is a flower unique to our country. Its homeland in Turkey. This plant blooms from spring to the end of June. Its height is on average 25 cm. It has no stems.
- Its white leaves are thin and fragmented.
- There is a yellow circle in the middle of the flower. Because of this feature, it is also known as the yellow daisy among the people.
- The meaning of the daisy flower is very curious. This flower, which is engraved in our minds with its love or dislike horoscope, actually symbolizes a clean heart. People often gift each other daisies to reflect their clean feelings.
In fact, the daisy has a sad story. For those who don’t know, let’s explain!
- Once, somewhere, a tiny caterpillar opened its eyes to the world. Thanks to his instincts, he immediately began to feed. He ate whatever he found. When he was old enough, he found a safe place and started to spin a cocoon there. After a while, she emerged from this cocoon as a butterfly with colorful wings.
- This little butterfly flew, flew, and reached a valley far away. As he looked around in bewilderment, he saw the daisy at the other end of the valley. He said to himself “what a beautiful flower” and immediately went to the daisy. “Hello,” he said to the daisy and added, “I saw you from afar. I wanted to come to you” Daisy said to him “Hello”.
- Daisy and butterfly started to talk. The butterfly told him his life story and where he came from.
- The daisy also told the butterfly about itself.
- Butterfly and Daisy really loved each other. They spent a lot of time together and chatted. The butterfly protected the daisy from the sun with its wings during the day. The butterfly loved the daisy so much that; He didn’t want to leave her no matter what. By the way, he was wondering if the daisy loved him too. But he couldn’t ask the daisy about it.
- In fact, the daisy also liked the butterfly very much. But he did not share this fact with the butterfly, fearing that his love would be unrequited. These two lovers were chatting all day and night, but they could not share their love.
- One day the butterfly realized that he did not have much time left. Then he told the daisy that he had to leave her. Papatya was very surprised by this situation and said, “Why? Or are you unhappy with me?” he asked. The butterfly said, “No. I am very happy with you, but butterflies live only 3 days and I am about to complete my life now. Now I have to go to a place where butterflies never die.” said.
- Of course, Papatya was very upset about this situation, but there was nothing she could do. Butterfly, on the other hand, was aware that his strength was running out. With one last effort, he was able to say “I love you” to the daisy. However, the daisy was stunned by this word. He just said, “me too”.
- When the butterfly left, the daisy burst into tears. If he had told before that he loved her, he might have learned that the butterfly loves him too. But he had not told the butterfly this truth.
- Daisy could not endure this pain for a long time; first, the leaves withered and then began to fall one by one. In every falling leaf, a daisy said that he “loves”.
- After that day, the lovers who knew this asked the daisies the question “Does he love or not”, which they could not ask their lovers. That’s how that famous fortune-telling came about.
What Are the Benefits of Chamomile Flower?
Chamomile flower not only offers a visual feast, but also benefits human health thanks to its bitter substances, essential oils, and phenolic compounds. Chamomile oil is obtained from chamomile. It is also known that this plant is used in the medicine and dye industry. The most common use among people is to brew and drink tea.
So what are the benefits of the chamomile flower? Let’s take a look at the answer to this question.
- It has calming properties. It calms the nerves.
- Makes it easier to fall asleep.
- It is known to be good for stomach ailments.
- It is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. It fights all kinds of bacteria, germs, and inflammation in the body.
- It is good for those who have menstrual irregularity.
- Alleviates the symptoms of hemorrhoids.
- It helps to get rid of intestinal gas.
- It is good for acne and acne when applied externally.
- It has a diuretic effect.
- It sweats.
- It prevents edema.
- Breathing the steam of chamomile tea is good for ailments such as sinusitis and colds.
- Chamomile tea can be gargled against throat infections.
- Relieves goose spasms.