Cellulite: how to get rid of it and does massage help
The word “cellulite” has become a part of our everyday life, and even cosmetic surgeons have already come to terms and use it for convenience. Meanwhile, it does not mean at all what they mean by it.
How to remove cellulite
“Cellul” means “cell” in Latin, and the ending “it” (also Latin) in medical terminology is used to denote an inflammatory process (hepatitis – inflammation of the liver, arthritis – inflammation of the joints, gastritis – inflammation of the stomach, etc.). ). However, sometimes medical terminology is not particularly accurate, and, for example, with radiculitis (“Inflammation of the roots”), the inflammatory process – in its classical form – is still not there.
Cellulite in medicine is called “nonspecific inflammation of the subcutaneous tissue”, and this is really an inflammation that most often develops in the tissues of the orbit, sometimes – the tip of the nose (in particular, as a complication of the nasal furuncle). However, in order not to frighten anyone, we will use this word to denote what is now accepted, namely, changes in the subcutaneous tissue, as a result of which the skin begins to resemble an orange peel.
Indeed, the surface of the skin becomes bumpy due to depressions and thickenings and looks like a loose orange peel. Cellulite is almost exclusively in women and is due to the special structure of the connective tissues: elastic fibers are arranged in such a way that the connective tissue is easily stretched, it is weaker and more pliable than in men, and fat cells seem to be pressed between its fibers. In addition, female fat cells are spherical, while in men they are flatter, so they lie smoother under the skin.
When you put on extra weight, individual fat cells form clusters in the form of clusters and press from the inside on the surface layers of the skin. At the same time, the capillaries are pinched, the blood supply to the skin deteriorates, and fluid stagnates in the intercellular space. Gradually, individual groups of connective tissue fibers give in to pressure from the inside, stretch and diverge, and hills and depressions appear on the surface of the skin – a typical “landscape” of cellulite.
As you can see, there is no inflammation. Cellulite in general does not affect the state of health and does not cause any unpleasant sensations, it “just” spoils the appearance of the body. It occurs gradually, and it is easier to prevent it than to eliminate it. The predisposition to cellulite is inherited and is partly determined by the constitution: in tall, slender women, it is rare, and most often develops in women of the so-called estrogenic type, that is, with magnificent feminine forms. True, the production of estrogens – female sex hormones – increases in all women during pregnancy, respectively, at this time, the risk of developing cellulite also increases.
How to deal with cellulite
In the place where the muscle strengthens and develops, fat is displaced. The skin over the muscle is stretched more smoothly and tighter than over the body fat. When moving, blood supply improves, lymph flow is activated, and the body is better cleansed of all unnecessary. Cellulite will be prevented by any sports that require tension in the muscles of the legs, buttocks and abdomen: running, swimming, cycling, dancing, jumping on a trampoline, mountain climbing. Cellulite that has already begun can be stopped with special gymnastics. Remember only that classes should be regular, at least 2-3 times a week.
Gymnastics against cellulite – how to remove cellulite at home
For the exercises below, use an elastic band around both legs at the level of the ankles. Use a weaker rubber at first, and a tighter rubber over time. Perform each exercise at the beginning 5-8 times, gradually bringing the number of repetitions to 15.
- For the pelvis, buttocks and thighs: lying on the left side, legs closed. The head rests on the left arm bent at the elbow, the right hand rests on the floor. Slowly raise your right leg as high as possible and lower it again. Then repeat the same on the other side.
- For the back of the thighs: lie on your stomach, press your pelvis firmly to the floor. Alternately raise and lower the shins, bend the knees, stretching the rubber band and overcoming resistance. Gymnastics for the hips must be done regularly.
- For the buttocks: lying on your stomach, put your forehead on crossed arms. Slowly raise the outstretched leg, lifting the pelvis off the floor; lower your leg. Repeat with the other leg.
- For the back of the legs: stand up straight, hands at the waist. Take your straight leg back as far as possible, straighten your knees. This exercise is also useful for training the vestibular apparatus.
- For the front of the thighs: Stand straight with hands at the waist. Stretch a straight leg forward, linger in this position and lower the leg. The socks are slightly unfolded.
- For the lateral surfaces of the legs: lying on your back, press the spine to the floor, clasp your hands behind your head. Raise your legs straight up, without bending your knees, spread them as wide as possible and bring them together again.
- For inner thighs: Lying on your left side, lean on the elbow of your left hand. Stretch the left leg, bend the right at the knee and hip joints and place in front of the left; grasp the right ankle joint with your right hand. Raise and lower the left leg, making sure that the pelvis does not tip over backwards. Repeat the same while lying on your right side.
Cellulite-affected tissues should be massaged, preferably daily. Anti-cellulite massage stimulates blood circulation and metabolism. You can massage with your hands, or you can use special devices.
The simplest thing is to massage with a dry brush or mitt. A cellulite brush can be soft or hard, depending on the sensitivity of your skin. Gloves can also be of varying degrees of rigidity. It is best to use brushes made of natural bristles, but rollers made of synthetic materials or hard rubber are also available specifically for anti-cellulite massage. They are equipped with knots, plates, rollers or steel wheels with a silver tip. Before you buy such a roller, try it on the inside of your hand: it should feel good to the touch. Be sure to read the instructions for it: how long and with what force to make circular or straight movements, when to apply the cream – the success of your actions depends on all this. If used incorrectly, the device can harm the skin. Massage for cellulite on the legs is especially effective.
There are also electric massage devices and they are very effective. It is usually recommended to use them for 5-10 minutes a day.
Attention! In the presence of red streaks under the skin, in case of varicose veins and thrombosis, no massage devices – neither electric nor manual – can be used!