Can you freeze kale?
Can you freeze kale? Yes, you can freeze kale for about 10-12 months.
Kale freezes well, especially if you blanch it first. The only time it doesn’t lend itself perfectly to freezing is if you plan to use it raw in a salad. Chances are that its texture is not ideal.
How to freeze kale?
If you don’t blanch your kale, it won’t last much longer in the freezer. We strongly advise you not to skip this step. Here’s how:
- Choose a healthy kale. Remove bruised or wilted leaves.
- Wash cabbage leaves thoroughly in cold water to remove dirt, dust and insects.
- Cut or shred the cabbage leaves into manageable sized pieces. Small leaves can be frozen whole, but large leaves must be cut off.
- Next, boil water in a saucepan and fill a basin with cold water. Keep the basin close to the stove because you will need to have it close at hand. Once the water boils, put the kale leaves in a metal colander and drop them into the boiling water. Leave the cabbage leaves in boiling water for 2 minutes, then remove the colander and immediately plunge the cabbage leaves into the basin filled with cold water.
- Drain and let the cabbage leaves dry. You can pat them with paper towel to save time.
- Once the cabbage leaves are dry, put them in a resealable freezer bag. You can use multiple freezer bags if you want to freeze individual portions.
- Seal the freezer bag tightly, pushing out as much air as possible.
- Label the freezer bag with the date and contents, then put the kale in the freezer.
What is the shelf life of kale in the freezer?
Kale, blanched first, will keep for about 10 to 12 months in the freezer . After this time, it will still be suitable for consumption but its flavor and texture may deteriorate.
If you don’t bother to blanch your kale, you’ll need to eat it within 2 months of freezing it.
How to thaw kale?
The best approach is to leave your kale leaves unthawed and use them as is. Add them directly to your recipe or cook them according to your favorite method, without defrosting them first.
If you want to thaw them, you can put them in a bowl in the fridge to thaw for several hours or overnight.
Can you refreeze kale?
We do not recommend refreezing kale. It would not withstand a second freezing and would become unusable.
Can you freeze kale without blanching it?
Yes, of course, but it won’t keep that long. It is safe to eat, but if it is not blanched, its texture and flavor will deteriorate much faster in the freezer. That’s why we strongly recommend bleaching it first.